Sidwell's comments in the post today

161 posts
jetsetwilly

Sidwell's comments in the post today

by jetsetwilly » 07 Aug 2006 11:50

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/2002/ ... ust_a_joke

Steve Sidwell has branded Reading’s latest match in Sweden as a joke.

Royals romped to a 10-1 victory over Lanna GoiF on Saturday, but should have doubled their goal tally against the part-time village side, who are currently languishing at the bottom of the Sixth Division.

And Sidwell declared: “They were the worst team we’ve played against.â€

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 07 Aug 2006 11:56

Kitson made similar comments last season about it being a total waste of time...

He's just having a sulk because he had to travel 2 hours on a coach to play on a substandard pitch against substandard opposition. If asked, I'd probably have a little moan about it too.

Wouldn't say it's too much to worry about, but with players coming out 2 years in a row about the Sweden trip being gash, maybe it's time for a slight rethink. Happy camp and all that.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 11:56

he's sounding a bit too much like a prima donna for my liking. Oh dear a 2 hour coach journey to play a little club on a sub-standard pitch - but playing away to Rushden and Diamonds is fine is it Steve? :roll:

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 07 Aug 2006 11:59

Yet again I find myself sobbing at Sidwell's plight :roll:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Aug 2006 12:00

All I will say is that didn't do us any harm playing these types of teams last summer did it Steve?

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 07 Aug 2006 12:01

Comments like this help no one. The tour is not and was never about testing the team, it is used as a moral boosting and team building exercise.

I'm sure the players did find it easy, but going to the press with it can only damage his relationship with Coppell. You wonder for whos ears it is meant. I just hope Sidwells attitude since we won promotion, and his belief that he is the "new Becks" (tats and all) doesn't sow seeds within the team. It only takes one or two, read Forster and Williams to upset the balance of the team.

Come on City, Villa, bid 4m and lets put an end to it all.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 07 Aug 2006 12:02

Come on guys, have you never done something that seemed a little pointless at the time, and had a little whinge?

Everyone does it, just not everyones little whinges are written down and distributed publicly.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 07 Aug 2006 12:02

Positive spin is that Sidwell is raring to get stuck into competitive matches though!

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 07 Aug 2006 12:03

He is right though- RFC may as well stay at home in leafy Berkshire and play a Burbs IX. Alad would give Sonko a torrid time and Finch would man-mark Bobby closer than he has ever been in his career.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 12:03

easy games, free travel and accommodation, being paid for it. Fans spending their hard earned cash to get over there to watch them. He's becoming a Prima Donna and I don't like it one bit.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Aug 2006 12:03

Gav Everyone does it, just not everyones little whinges are written down and distributed publicly.

Precisely why he should be more careful to who he makes these comments.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 07 Aug 2006 12:04

He'll be moaning on the other side of his face when he gets played off the park by the likes of Robbie Savage, Jimmy Bullard, and Dietmar Hammann.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2006 12:07

I've got no problem with those comments at all. Just seems like he is raring to get going rather than play in what was no more than a training match.

Just seems that people are moaning because Sidwell came out with the comments, if Shorey, Sonko or Convey had said it doubt most would say anything.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 07 Aug 2006 12:07

Wycombe Royal
Gav Everyone does it, just not everyones little whinges are written down and distributed publicly.

Precisely why he should be more careful to who he makes these comments.

I completely agree, but it's not the first time we've had an 'RFC player in saying something a bit silly shocker' headline is it?

Every now and then, without the utmost care, a player will fall into the trap of letting something which is essentially nothing more than a petty gripe get into the public domain. Then everyone will over analyse it... As it's Sidwell, everyone seems to want to analyse it further still.

Kitson said similar things last season (although it was more to do with it not being a very good team-building exercise), and he had a good season. It's just a whinge.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Aug 2006 12:11

Gav Kitson said similar things last season (although it was more to do with it not being a very good team-building exercise), and he had a good season. It's just a whinge.

Yes it is just a whinge and if it was any other player who said it it would probably have gone pretty much unnoticed. But it is our "contract rebel" who has said it and there becomes bigger news.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 07 Aug 2006 12:12

Wycombe Royal
Gav Kitson said similar things last season (although it was more to do with it not being a very good team-building exercise), and he had a good season. It's just a whinge.

Yes it is just a whinge and if it was any other player who said it it would probably have gone pretty much unnoticed. But it is our "contract rebel" who has said it and there becomes bigger news.

Which is my point, and I believe, Strandeds. It's not actually bigger news, and the fact that it was Sidwell is quite possibly the only reason it was even printed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2006 12:16

Gav
Wycombe Royal

Which is my point, and I believe, Strandeds. It's not actually bigger news, and the fact that it was Sidwell is quite possibly the only reason it was even printed.

It is indeed, it's not news at all really just a normal player's whinge.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 12:16

well, he should have realised that anything negative that he says will get repeated - so perhaps he should be careful what he says, and to whom. I hope he tells Finch and the others out there how he feels. :roll:

The Cube

by The Cube » 07 Aug 2006 12:18

I find it very difficult to believe that Lanna GoIF could have been worse than the team Brighton put out against us last December.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 07 Aug 2006 12:22

The Cube I find it very difficult to believe that Lanna GoIF could have been worse than the team Brighton put out against us last December.

Brighton were in the same league as us when we played them...

jetsetwilly Lanna GoiF - who are currently languishing at the bottom of the Sixth Division.

I hope you see the difference in quality...

161 posts