De La Cruz training with Royals

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Aug 2006 17:25

Hoop Blah
Woodcote Royal From what I've seen of Gunnarsson at right back, I think he might be Murts no2 this season but I totally agree with your take on the possible Dela Cruz acquisition.

What and make Halls 3rd choice!!!!!

Joking aside, Gunnarsson has enough on has plate competing and covering the centre midfield all on his own, not to mention the centre backs and right wing spot as he did on Saturday (making Oster 4th choice maybe?)

Woodcote Royal Last week "Prem experience" was all the rage, now, even with World Cup appearances and no fee required this, apparrantly, isn't good enough for someone who might never make our bench :P

To state the obvious, we are just days away from transfer window closure having lost a very versatile defender.

Frankly, especially given the low risk attached to this potential deal, I can't believe we have those amongst us who are prepared rubbish the whole idea and therefore not trust Steve Coppel to make the right choice.

Agreed. We need a few extra players even if they aren't ones we'd have fancied a few weeks ago. Only those behind the scenes know who else we might get in between now and the window but beggers can't be choosers and Cruz may be the best we can get.

I'd say Oster was still ahead of him for the wing, just he was brought on to shore us up defensively for the last few minutes.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 23 Aug 2006 06:02

SpaceCruiser
Flyingkiwi Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the joker that was sent off in a freindly for violent conduct isn't it? If we sign him, even on loan, won't he have to sit out a three match suspension??

Actually, I have not heard a squeak about the referee reporting Bikey to the relevant authorities. In fact, it wasn't a proper sending off, was it? The referee allowed Reading to subsitute him for another player.

I doubt he will be suspended.

OK but the relevant authorities would be the Swedish FA wouldn't it? I'm sure I read somewhere that the sending off had all but scuppered his chances of a contract.

I'd also be interested to know whether any suspension would carry over if he returns to Russia. I can't see Lokamotiv Moscow, or whoever he plays for, being too happy if it does

PurpleTurtle

by PurpleTurtle » 23 Aug 2006 13:53

exiled Villa and Royals fan in Caversham here (difficult call for me tonight, having had a Royals season ticket for the last few years 'cos I have settled here)....have seen UDLC play many times......he used to blow hot and cold at Villa - some times he would be absolutely Useless, hence the unfortunate nickname, other times he would play a blinder.

I would echo the sentiments that he's a good squad player - can do a job if necessary, but is probably not the big name player lots were hoping to sign. Also not the fastest, which seemd to hamper him a little.

That said, its a long old season, and given that he's available on a free and probably has a realistic wage expectation, then I think he'd be an OK addition.

As I have a foot in both camps I'm predicting a 1-1 for tonight, will be there to see.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 23 Aug 2006 14:05

Big Ern He was crap in the World Cup and released by vVlla for being crap as well. The only time he has impressed was when playing for Hibs in the Scottish Premier League. Says it all about him really.

Yes, he was slated by the football pundits, Lawrenson and co who said he was the worst defender in the World Cup---but what does Lawrenson know!!

Greenwich Royal

by Greenwich Royal » 23 Aug 2006 14:41

Tilehurst Mike
Big Ern He was crap in the World Cup and released by vVlla for being crap as well. The only time he has impressed was when playing for Hibs in the Scottish Premier League. Says it all about him really.

Yes, he was slated by the football pundits, Lawrenson and co who said he was the worst defender in the World Cup---but what does Lawrenson know!!

Not a great deal, clearly:

Mark Lawrenson It's going to be tough and I'm afraid I think Reading will be relegated.

I'm not sure Reading's strikers will be able to make the transition to the higher standard...

...but I look at them now and they just haven't got enough.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 24 Aug 2006 18:13

Looks like De la Cruz is going to sign for us - probably today or tomorrow.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 24 Aug 2006 19:26

TheLawnMowerMan Looks like De la Cruz is going to sign for us - probably today or tomorrow.
Daddies?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 24 Aug 2006 19:42

Taken from 'Teamtalk'

Meanwhile, trialist defender Ulises de la Cruz is close to being offered a contract.

The Ecuador international, who played against England in the World Cup finals, is a free agent after leaving Villa in the summer.

Dillon said: "He has done well. He has played in the World Cup, looks fit and is hungry to play. We have lost Chris Makin to Southampton so he might be an ideal replacement. A decision will be made in the next three or four days."

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 24 Aug 2006 20:14

The Surgeon of Crowthorne
TheLawnMowerMan Looks like De la Cruz is going to sign for us - probably today or tomorrow.
Daddies?

As if I'd reveal that. You will just have to take my word for it.