Back from the game

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Back from the game

by PieEater » 26 Aug 2006 17:40

But obviously not back to Reading.

I thought it was a pretty close match with very little decent football played, although I'm dissapointed to lose we and although we played OK, we just didn't create enough chances to win. A draw would of been a fairer result, but Wigan had 4 great chances and put one away, we had only 1 that Leroy missed towards the end of the second half.

My player ratings:

Hahnemann - 7 had nothing to do except to make two fantastic saves, one diving to his left in the first half and one to deny Kavanagh in the second when he really should of scored.

Murty 7 - Looks OK at this level and linked well with Seol

Sodje 8 - I thought he was great for his first game against a tall and physical Wigan attack, more than adequate cover for Sonks

Ivar 7 had his usual solid game a one decent chance that he flicked wide.

Shorey 7 same as Murts, steady

Convey 5 - pretty poor and anonymous

Harper 4 - I think he may of actually touched the ball some time in the second half before he was subbed

Sid 8 - My MOTM, got stuck in and looked our most likely threat.

Seol 6 - not as bad defensively as some people made out at Villa, but didn't really create anything. Him and Murts were guilty for messing up a number of short corners

Lita 6 - Two half chances, one of which bought a decent save from Kirkland, but had little service

Doyler 7 - worked hard but got little for it.

Of the subs - Long, Hunt and Oster, only Oster made any sort of impact.

The ref - Mike Riley was total rubbish, he decided mid way in the second half that any contact was a foul and was happy for Kirkland and others to waste as much time as they liked.

For Wigan, Hall looked the part, I'm sorry we didn't get him. In the first half we had the play and Wigan were pretty crap, in the second half they passed it a bit more, but really didn't look too threatening.

I'm sure that stats will show we did OK on possession and shots, but only Lita's miss (or gitfaced Kirklands save) was the difference.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Aug 2006 17:43

I forgot to add, there was a Seol fan club there too, about 8 Koreans videoing everything.

Melbguy

by Melbguy » 26 Aug 2006 17:45

A draw would have been a fair reult as Wigan had four clear chance and you had one, I'm confused?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Aug 2006 17:48

If you take chances then we got what we deserved, but with the amount of play we had and Litas miss, I'm sure most neutrals would of thought a draw was a fairer result.

Harold

by Harold » 26 Aug 2006 17:49

Pathetic!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Aug 2006 17:50

Harold Pathetic!
:lol: :lol:

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Back from the game

by cmonurz » 26 Aug 2006 17:52

PieEater I'm sure that stats will show we did OK on possession and shots, but only Lita's miss (or gitfaced Kirklands save) was the difference.

Yahoo! Sport:

Possession - Wigan 50.7% Reading 49.3%
Shots - Wigan 14 Reading 5
Shots on target - Wigan 5 Reading 3
Corners - Wigan 4 Reading 10

Worth noting the number of those corners we wasted mind you.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 26 Aug 2006 17:54

Far too generous there PieEater. Watched most of the game in the pub and thought, whilst we didn't disgrace ourselves, Wigan played us off the park. Lita could have snatched a point for us at the death, which would have been fantastic, but wholly undeserved. Wigan should have been home and dry by then.

Thought we actually looked slightly more dangerous once Oster and Hunt came on for Convey and Seol, but our lack of depth is again quite worrying. Sodje was OK, but at fault for the goal, and clearly not really ready for this level yet.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 26 Aug 2006 17:58

Harold Pathetic!

I think you've posted in the wrong place. The "Use one word to describe yourself" thread's on AE.

spickroyal

by spickroyal » 26 Aug 2006 18:08

southbank1871 Far too generous there PieEater. Watched most of the game in the pub and thought, whilst we didn't disgrace ourselves, Wigan played us off the park. Lita could have snatched a point for us at the death, which would have been fantastic, but wholly undeserved. Wigan should have been home and dry by then.

Thought we actually looked slightly more dangerous once Oster and Hunt came on for Convey and Seol, but our lack of depth is again quite worrying. Sodje was OK, but at fault for the goal, and clearly not really ready for this level yet.

Obviously we were watching a different game to those who made the trip then mate! Completely agree with the above assessment, we couldn't have complained if we had lost 3-0.

Onwards and upwards, lets look forward to the next game.

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 26 Aug 2006 18:10

spickroyal
southbank1871 Far too generous there PieEater. Watched most of the game in the pub and thought, whilst we didn't disgrace ourselves, Wigan played us off the park. Lita could have snatched a point for us at the death, which would have been fantastic, but wholly undeserved. Wigan should have been home and dry by then.

Obviously we were watching a different game to those who made the trip then mate! Completely agree with the above assessment, we couldn't have complained if we had lost 3-0.

Onwards and upwards, lets look forward to the next game.

Agreed, the few bright bits were when Oster and Hunt had come on.
Harper was again full of running but not looking dangerous.

retro royal

by retro royal » 26 Aug 2006 18:25

7 Hahnemann, probably MOM, some great saves, no chance with the goal
5 Murty, didn't venture forward, looked outpaced by all the Wigan strikers
6.5 Shorey, a few runs forward
6 Sodje, got better as game went on
6 Ingamarson, did well in the air, not so good with players running at him
4 Convey, who ?
5 Harper, gave the ball away often, didn't see many tackles apart from foul on the edge of the box.
6 Sidwell, Best of the midfield, closed down players quickly and tried to join in with the forwards
5 Seoul, Not a bad start got predictable, and then faded
5 Lita, Kept on ging away pointless free kicks against kirkland at corners and should of done better at the end.
6 Doyle, looked lively first 20 minutes, then faded as did the team

6 Hunt, Looked more dangerous than convey in the short time he played.
5 Oster, very little time to show much
Shane Long, great bit of skill by the corner flag, cross straight at kirkland tho

Verdict, We looked like a tired outfit, Wigan had more energy than us, they battled for every ball and kept it well. We just didn't have anyone up front that could hold the ball up well, so that the wingers could get into the play. At the back we missed Sonko as Heskey was causing huge problems in the air, and to be honest we probably got off lightly with 1-0.

With Kitson saying on Soccer A.M he might not be back until we play tottenham november 12th, I wouldn't be suprised if Coppell went into transfer market for a target man

My 2 pence worth

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Aug 2006 18:33

Far to generous there, PieEater. I thought Wigan were deserved winners. We were outmuscled far too much, were second best to the loose ball and far too many players had an off day. The distribution was generally very poor. Hahnemann was solid and the defence, whilst indivudually no-one had a particularly bad game, were far too slack as a unit.

The midfield, Sidwell apart were very poor. Convey didn't get into the game, Seol was poor attacking and stood off his man too much when defending. Harper could be out there all night and still wouldn't be able to pass to a team-mate. Doyle, whilst a willing runner, as ever, was feeding off scraps and Lita had a poor game but we were not playing to his strengths. He should have buried that chance in the last 5 mnutes. Oster looked very good when he came on, though.

Wigan look a decent, well organised side, better than Boro or Villa and Mike Riley is a cock.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Aug 2006 18:57

I can't recall much football at all from Wigan apart from the odd bit at the start of the second. They battled harder than us and were well organised but we were by no means outplayed. How on earth did the stats count all those shots on target for Wigan. I counted 4, the goal, when they hit the post (if that counts) and two save from Marcus.

We did waste our corners, not one short corner got as far as the box.

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 26 Aug 2006 19:05

PieEater I can't recall much football at all from Wigan apart from the odd bit at the start of the second. They battled harder than us and were well organised but we were by no means outplayed. How on earth did the stats count all those shots on target for Wigan. I counted 4, the goal, when they hit the post (if that counts) and two save from Marcus.

We did waste our corners, not one short corner got as far as the box.

shots on target 5...what are u talking about? :roll:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Aug 2006 19:06

But we fought to keep ourselves in the game, I got the feeling Wigan had another gear, should they have needed it. Apart from Lita's chance late on and a couple of shots from outside the box that Kirkland collected omfortably, I can't really remember us creating anything.

Biggest laugh though was when the ASBO Enclosure in the East stand struck up with "Is that all you take away". People in glass houses and all that.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 26 Aug 2006 19:53

Watching from the pub, we looked a decidedly less able team than in our last two encounters. Hopefully it's just a blip.

That's all there is to it for me. We just didn't seem at the races today, at all.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 26 Aug 2006 20:39

Wigan's 7 day rest might have come into it - as others have said we were outcontested and outfought today. Worrying how many aerial balls we lost out on and how much time we gave Wigan on the ball.

We missed Sonko a lot - despite Sodje's fairly decent performance he's not Sonko-quality in the air and we needed that against Heskey. And without Kitson our attack lacked any physical presence - Doyler and Lita fed off scraps all game and neither of them were seriously going to beat Hall in the air.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 26 Aug 2006 20:43

Reading started brightly but the more the game went the better Wigan looked, Reading has a little rally towards the end but Reading could had lost the game 3-0 on another day.

Apart from how poorly Harper & Convey performed today the biggest difference was Wigan were so much stronger & taller than the Reading team, Reading never looked like they were going to win many headers and hitting the ball high played into Wigans hands.

I thought Ingimarsson played well again, Sidwell was good & Doyles first touch is class.

spickroyal

by spickroyal » 26 Aug 2006 20:45

2.8 lita injection Reading started brightly but the more the game went the better Wigan looked, Reading has a little rally towards the end but Reading could had lost the game 3-0 on another day.

Apart from how poorly Harper & Convey performed today the biggest difference was Wigan were so much stronger & taller than the Reading team, Reading never looked like they were going to win many headers and hitting the ball high played into Wigans hands.

I thought Ingimarsson played well again, Sidwell was good & Doyles first touch is class.

Agree with everything you say....which is a shame because that username just makes me cringe! :wink: