MOTD

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 16 Sep 2006 22:59

Lineker (question to Shearer) - out of all the promoted teams you tipped Sheffield United.
Shearer - I was the new kid on the block and I was just following Alan Hanson :?

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 16 Sep 2006 23:03

LOL @ Lineker reminding Shearer he and Hanson had said Sheffield Utd would do the better of the 3 promoted teams... got the impression he wished he hadn't said that!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 16 Sep 2006 23:03

Have to say, the five or six one-touch passes and Harper's shot against the post were worthy of European football. :lol:

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 16 Sep 2006 23:36

M4 Junction 11 Lineker (question to Shearer) - out of all the promoted teams you tipped Sheffield United.
Shearer - I was the new kid on the block and I was just following Alan Hanson :?

I remember that very clearly, and after Hansen & Shearer had made their poor prediction, Lineker said about Reading FC "I think they will be alright."

Just goes to show these pundits would be well advised and make judgements after a few games have been played and well done Gary Lineker for showing some knowledge of football.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 16 Sep 2006 23:38

Just laughed when I heard that. Classic.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 17 Sep 2006 00:21

Big Ern
M4 Junction 11 Lineker (question to Shearer) - out of all the promoted teams you tipped Sheffield United.

I remember that very clearly, and after Hansen & Shearer had made their poor prediction, Lineker said about Reading FC "I think they will be alright."

Just goes to show these pundits would be well advised and make judgements after a few games have been played and well done Gary Lineker for showing some knowledge of football.

And Lineker replied to Shearer that "some of us thought differently!"

8)

Great to see Doyle and Murts being interviewed too, Murty sounding like he's loving the premiership so far.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 17 Sep 2006 09:49

RobRoyal Murty sounding like he's loving the premiership so far.
The last few games Murts looks like he's got nothing left to give at the end of 90 minutes.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 17 Sep 2006 09:53

We are Linkers local team now, that's probably why he's hoping/thinking/knowing we will do alright.........and becuase he knows a good team when he see's one :D

Oddesy2k

by Oddesy2k » 17 Sep 2006 09:53

Well done to the boys let's make Shearer eat those words till the end of the season.

9 Points out of 15 you have got to be happy with that!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Sep 2006 13:24

Shearer and Hansen made a call at the start of the season, clearly without knowing much about us. A neutral looking in would have been worried by our lack of signings, as many of us were and think we'll struggle. We on the other hand aready knew we had a load of prem jems and that Warnock had strengtherned with Championship quality players.

Give them a break, Shearer has admitted his mistake and seems to rate us now, lets be gracious as we tear up the Premiership.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Sep 2006 14:55

Lineker is a Leicester fan, has some involvement in his club and is known to attend games at the Walkers so you'd assume he knows a little more about life outside the Premiership than the other pundits.

Shearer seems to be fairly honest in his assessments. His analysis of our strengths and Uniteds weaknesses, whilst fairly obvious to us, at least showed an understanding of what turns games, not surprising considering he's only just retired. I reckon the more he sees of us, the more he will appreciate us.

Lawrenson, was lost last night because Hansen wasn't there to tell him what to say. He had nothing to contribute. There's that old saying, a wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something. Lawrenson was definitely speaking for the sake of it.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 17 Sep 2006 15:01

From Despair To Where? Lawrenson, was lost last nightbecause Hansen wasn;t there to tell him what to say. There's that old saying, a wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something. Lawrenson was definitely speaking for the sake of it.

I thought it was something like.... it's better to stay silent and appear to be a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

The pundits do make me laugh, Hansen slated Sonko for his mix up at the Middlesborough game and said we didn't have enough quality to survive. Lawro wrote us off too and I think Lineker will keep reminding them of this as the season goes on.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Sep 2006 16:11

To be fair to Hansen, his criticism of Sonko against Boro was valid and therein lies the difference between him and Lawrenson. Hansen will try to analyse the situation, you may not agree with him but he does try to present his opinions with some evidence to back it up. Lawrenson just says what he thinks he should be saying and ends up spouting rubbish.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 17 Sep 2006 16:23

From Despair To Where? To be fair to Hansen, his criticism of Sonko against Boro was valid and therein lies the difference between him and Lawrenson. Hansen will try to analyse the situation, you may not agree with him but he does try to present his opinions with some evidence to back it up. Lawrenson just says what he thinks he should be saying and ends up spouting rubbish.

Hansen usually has something intelligent to say. Lawrensen????

Garth Crooks? :lol: :? :oops:

Gentleman Jim

by Gentleman Jim » 17 Sep 2006 17:01

How long will Crooks continue to be criminal in his assessment of us of Focus? :evil:

Gotta love Carlton Palmer though 8)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Sep 2006 17:07

John Salako always speaks highly of us.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Sep 2006 17:14

From this thread, it sounds like we're safe already.

As long as the players don't get as confident as some of the supporters we should be ok, but ramming words down pundits' throats? Seems a bit early for that don't you think?

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 17 Sep 2006 18:28

Royal Rother As long as the players don't get as confident as some of the supporters we should be ok, but ramming words down pundits' throats? Seems a bit early for that don't you think?

See my location... There is nothing wrong with confidence, it is what spurred us on to demolish so many teams last season. No-one is putting any eggs in baskets, I just see us as fans with belief in their team, not starry-eyed at the thought of being in the Premiership.

Murts himself has said to pundits to keep writing us off because we love to ram the words back down their throats, and I'd rather see us going into every game with that confidence than being over-cautious, a la the first 20 mins against Boro.

When we let up, we will slip up, so we must plough on confident that we can potentially take points from anyone at any time.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 17 Sep 2006 19:26

glass half full
From Despair To Where? To be fair to Hansen, his criticism of Sonko against Boro was valid and therein lies the difference between him and Lawrenson. Hansen will try to analyse the situation, you may not agree with him but he does try to present his opinions with some evidence to back it up. Lawrenson just says what he thinks he should be saying and ends up spouting rubbish.

Hansen usually has something intelligent to say. Lawrensen????

Garth Crooks? :lol: :? :oops:

Seol makes Crooks' team of the week.