Back from the game

Reading Abbey

Back from the game

by Reading Abbey » 16 Sep 2006 18:52

First of all, rare praise for Colin after his post match interview where he was very complimentary towards us - it doesn't happen often!

Another superb performance from No.13. The atmosphere we generated was superb once again and dear o dear o dear, Sheffield United support was just plain awful.

We were superb first half, but the two changes by Colin at half time gave us something to think about and United were far stronger and better for it.

I'm no good at match reports so in short - another massive three points and terrific day out, again!

LOL @ Jackie Chan 8)

LOL @ us keeping the ball before kick-off and signing it before throwing it back! :lol:

*Moan of the match - Jobsworth steward bitching when ever finger pointing was seen at the home support and a few masturbatory signs. Get a life you sad fat oxf*rd!
And a special mention to the nob end trying to stop Marcus giving his shirt away - muppet.

willz_royal

Re: Back from the game

by willz_royal » 16 Sep 2006 18:56

Reading Abbey First of all, rare praise for Colin after his post match interview where he was very complimentary towards us - it doesn't happen often!

Another superb performance from No.13. The atmosphere we generate3d was superb once again and dear o dear o dear, Sheffield United support was just plain awful.

We were superb first half, but the two changes by Colin at half time gave us something to think about and United were far stronger and better for it.

I'm no good at match reports so in short - another massive three points and terrific day out, again!

LOL @ Jackie Chan 8)

LOL @ us keeping the ball before kick-off and signing it before throwing it back! :lol:

*Moan of the match - Jobsworth steward bitching when ever finger pointing was seen at the home support and a few masturbatory signs. Get a life you sad fat oxf*rd!
And a special mention to the nob end trying to stop Marcus giving his shirt away - muppet.

RL, sort your daughter out :wink:

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 16 Sep 2006 18:59

Not sure if that was you RL, stood one row in front of me and two to my right. (Behind goal to the right hand side).
It looked a lot like you but not enough for me to be sure and risk saying hello to the wrong person. :?
Same goes for Goderz who I thought I recognised but couldn't be sure. (Baseball cap?)

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 16 Sep 2006 19:00

Reading Abbey Not sure if that was you RL, stood one row in front of me and two to my right. (Behind goal to the right hand side).
It looked a lot like you but not enough for me to be sure and risk saying hello to the wrong person. :?
Same goes for Goderz who I thought I recognised but couldn't be sure. (Baseball cap?)

he wouldnt wear a cap i dont think...

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 16 Sep 2006 19:25

Reading Abbey Same goes for Goderz who I thought I recognised but couldn't be sure. (Baseball cap?)

Sounds about right :roll:

:wink:

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 16 Sep 2006 20:54

Another great day out at Bramall Lane, we really are the Blades bogey team :lol: We hung on at the end (where did all that time come from?) but in truth we could have been 3-0 at half time and scored two more early in the second. If they'd of got a draw it would of been a travesty. In the first half the blades were just shit.

My ratings:
Marcus: 7, really had nothing to do, but made 1 fantastic save at the end which could have levelled it. He could be been at fault for the goal, as the angle looked impossible for Hulse to score.

Shorey 8; steady game, but pushed forward a lot and caused them problems

Sonko 9 ; Absolutely awesome. He won everything in the air and got a toe on every ball that came near him. Some comedy moments with Marcus when he was slow to collect the ball, and one where he was floored by Akinbyi but still headed the ball out to touch whilst lying down.

Ivar 8 ; good game and didnt look short of pace against the blades attack :lol: they were a handful but Sonks and Ivar didnt give them a sniff

Murty 7 steady game

Seol 8 fantastic in the first half, great goal and forced a great save from their keeper, faded a bit in the second half.

Sid 7 - looks the part, got stuck in as usual, and didnt get booked.

Harper 6 still chasing shadows, but played better that against Wigan.

Convey - 7 great flick on for the first goal, but was again out muscled by his markers.

Lita 6 - Pants. Cant pass, poor first touch, but he could of had 2 goals with his flick ons early in the second half. He did out jump his marker most of the time though. He needs a goal.

Doyler 8 - another great game for Doyler, his hold up play is getting much better, along with his ability to control balls punted to him at pace. Worked his socks off again.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 16 Sep 2006 21:15

Very much agreed PieEater. Great stuff almost all round. One thing though. Why is Seol so lazy? If he did that bit extra he would be quality. Also needs to make a bit better decisions when on, and off the ball. He isn't consistant. But no one can argue with a goal.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 16 Sep 2006 21:19

PieEater Another great day out at Bramall Lane, we really are the Blades bogey team :lol: We hung on at the end (where did all that time come from?) but in truth we could have been 3-0 at half time and scored two more early in the second. If they'd of got a draw it would of been a travesty. In the first half the blades were just shit.

My ratings:
Marcus: 7, really had nothing to do, but made 1 fantastic save at the end which could have levelled it. He could be been at fault for the goal, as the angle looked impossible for Hulse to score.

Sonko 9 ; Absolutely awesome. He won everything in the air and got a toe on every ball that came near him. Some comedy moments with Marcus when he was slow to collect the ball, and one where he was floored by Akinbyi but still headed the ball out to touch whilst lying down.

Ivar 8 ; good game and didnt look short of pace against the blades attack :lol: they were a handful but Sonks and Ivar didnt give them a sniff

Murty 7 steady game

Seol 8 fantastic in the first half, great goal and forced a great save from their keeper, faded a bit in the second half.

Convey - 7 great flick on for the first goal, but was again out muscled by his markers.

Lita 6 - Pants. Cant pass, poor first touch, but he could of had 2 goals with his flick ons early in the second half. He did out jump his marker most of the time though. He needs a goal.

Doyler 8 - another great game for Doyler, his hold up play is getting much better, along with his ability to control balls punted to him at pace. Worked his socks off again.

Bit harsh on Harper, im not his biggest fan but i thought was his best performance of the season. Plus he hit the post with a great shot...

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 16 Sep 2006 21:23

PieEater Another great day out at Bramall Lane, we really are the Blades bogey team :lol: We hung on at the end (where did all that time come from?) but in truth we could have been 3-0 at half time and scored two more early in the second. If they'd of got a draw it would of been a travesty. In the first half the blades were just shit.

My ratings:

Murty 7 steady game

Think your being very harsh on Lita and Harper there.

Ollie Kearns is in Buxton
Location: Near the source of the UK's No 1 Natural Mineral Water

by Ollie Kearns is in Buxton » 16 Sep 2006 21:34

Yep nearly in total harmony for Pieman 'cept for Convey. 7 for hin means he was as effective as Sidwell which I don't reckon he was, so 6 for Mr C. Sid was back to his best today.

Defensively Seoul was much better today, most of their threat came on our left which is a reflctn of Convey's reluctance to get tight on his man when the oppostn are abt to cross. A pity 'cos Shores deserves a higher class of company - he was (once agaain) great.

A queston mark for Sonko and the goal, but he was so dominating for the rest of the game.

Bryn looked so much more effective than Sir James when he came on, shame not to have him starting, tho a post was struck in partial anger ny the aforesaid n he did seem more effective at hassling the oppostn.

The HT sub of Quinn for Sheff made a big difference to them, he was a real (effective) livewire.

Lita certainly wkd hard, but is he playing his ideal role (seemed left wing in the 2nd half)? The ball came back far too quickly n too often in the 2nd half. That being said, they seemed to have 3 at the back in the 1st half, almost asking for trouble against our front 2.

A very long 4mins added on.

Nice program (lots on us) - also mentions the 6 clubs who have only ever spent 1 season in the top flt:

Barnsley 98/98
Carlisle 74/75
Glossop NE 1899/00
Orient 62/63
N'hmpton 65/66
Swindon 93/94

and adds..."Obviously, our visitors today will hope they do not join this list."

Obviously not...

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 16 Sep 2006 21:52

Well done lads for beating our relegation rivals.

Good luck in your next few games...ok the run is awful looking but its part of the reason clubs love getting promoted to the Premiership.

reading_lad

by reading_lad » 16 Sep 2006 21:55

just got back, great day out with good atmosphere. Again though the stewards at the end where right oxf*rd

wonder what they will do with the ball we signed?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 16 Sep 2006 22:21

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Harper, but in truth it was never going to be his sort game. Too physical, too much head tennis, and too quick. Decent shot that hit the post though.

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 16 Sep 2006 23:02

reading_lad just got back, great day out with good atmosphere. Again though the stewards at the end where right oxf*rd

wonder what they will do with the ball we signed?

That was funny!
When he finally got it back and walked away, then noticed the signatures and turned back around with a smile on his face. :lol:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 16 Sep 2006 23:47

Another great peformance and crucial 3 points. My player ratings...

Marcus-7- Couple of good saves but kicking was poor.
Murty-7- Solid display again from Murty, some good passes.
Shorey-7- Another good game from Nicky,some god crosses.
Ingimarsson-8- Very good peformance,won lots in the air.
Sonko-9- Terrific display,hes getting even better, surely worth 3 Million+.
Seol-8- Well taken goal and a very good game from Seol.
Convey-7- Played better today and his assist for Doyle was a good ball.
Sidwell-8- Another brilliant peformance, won alot in midfield.
Harper-7- Played well, was unlucky not to score.
Doyle-9- Brilliant,worked his socks off. Lovely goal.
Lita-7- Probably should of scored and lacked abit of sharpness when coming 1 on 1 with a defender.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 17 Sep 2006 00:08

My ratings:

Murty 7 steady game

Hate to revisit an already-done-to-death topic, but lay off Lita. He was massively improved today. He held the ball up well in the first half, should have done better with one chance but was unlucky on another two. Plus he set up Seol's goal with a decent bit of control and an astute pass.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 17 Sep 2006 00:24

RobRoyal

My ratings:

Murty 7 steady game

Hate to revisit an already-done-to-death topic, but lay off Lita. He was massively improved today. He held the ball up well in the first half, should have done better with one chance but was unlucky on another two. Plus he set up Seol's goal with a decent bit of control and an astute pass.

I agree. I also noticed he tracked back a lot and closed down the Sheff Utd defenders at every opportunity, therefore not allowing them any time on the ball. He might have missed a couple of chances, but he did contribute well to the team today and on another day could have easily got a goal or two.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 17 Sep 2006 00:29

Also jsut got back from the game..

Does anyone know what happened to the reading fan arrested just after second half started.. ?? or what he did to be chucked out

Marcus :lol: telling the stewards to F*** off when he was trying to give his shirt away, which then turned into a massive slagging match..

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 17 Sep 2006 01:07

SONKO IS SUPERMAN

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 17 Sep 2006 02:57

PieEater My ratings:

Kicking. Must improve. He put at least 6 goal-kicks straight out. not good, especially when we were desperately trying to stem the red tide. This is simply such a waste of possession, and it is becoming a worryingly regular occurance. Coppell has to have Marcus in all week for 3 hours extra training at kicking the ball into the channel. Or indeed, perhaps he could inform Marcus that he is allowed to play it short occassionally.

Agreed, on the whole good going forwards and back. Unsurprisingly, he looked a bit tired in the last ten minutes.

I was sat quite near to this, and whilst he certainly made a good act of heading the ball, he quite clearly punched it. Sonks looked quite flustered today, I thought. Possibly it was because he finally came up against somebody stronger than him. Akinbiyi certainly wins everything, even if he then can't really do much with it. Sonko air-balled a few times, plus there was a worrying bout of pinball in the box, when he smacked it off somebody's arse.

Except for the goal?

Murty 7 steady game

Generally agreed, but there were two moments when either Murts should have cleared the ball, or Marcus should have come to smother it. Not sure how to apportion blame here, but ultimately the captain has to take responsibility. Fortunately, we scraped out of both situations.

He was really dicking on Unsworth. He's so comfortable with both feet, and I don't think that defenders realise this. Just when they think he has run himself down a blind alley, he switches foot and strolls away from them. Good crossing, great strike for the goal. I think his link-up play is really improving, too, as they get to know each other.

Personally, my man of the match. He looked so comfortable in the first-half, bossing the midfield, and he bailed out the defence several times in the second half. He really looks comfortable at this level, you can see why he's in such demand. He's playing at a much higher level than he did last season, IMO.

I disagree. I thought he did a good job of holding in midfield - except at the start of the second half, when the whole team was being over-run. He is still the pivot for all of our attacks, linked up well with Seol and Doyle, and really should have had a very sweetly-struck goal.

'Flick-on'? He lofted the ball 30 yards between two defenders!... I thought he played alright, but he will always be a little light-weight. He seems like he's settling into the league now, though. Won us a few good free-kicks, which is always a good measure of how dangerous someone is, IMO.

'Pants' is too harsh - he worked his arse off for the 60-odd minutes he was on the pitch. His touch really is a cause for concern, and (for someone so well-built), he is shoved off the ball too easily by hulking defenders like Chris Morgan (and Richard Dunne). These are the areas that the coaches need to focus on. However, Lita is an opportunist, and I think he was unlucky that one of his second-half chances didn't go in. I think the last two performances (ie since Bristol) have seen a much-improved Leroy.

He's actually still getting better. Runs Sidwell close for MOTM, but he was a spectator when we went down to 4-5-1. For the first 60 minutes, though, he was immense. His touch is incredible and, for such a slight guy, he's so strong at holding up the ball. I'm so glad we signed him up to a longer contract!

Worth a brief mention for Gunnarson, Hunt and Little, who all came on and played a part in securing the win. It's a shame that we had to go down to 4-5-1, but it certainly did the job. And for all United's pressure, we could have easily nicked a third with some of the late corners.