I suppose someone should do it...Overrated Players

185 posts
kingthor

by kingthor » 09 Oct 2006 07:01

alad Bobby Convey.

One season wonder.

That is crap. Convey may not be playing lights out, but in the last 4 games, he has 3 assists. Without each of those assists, we get 1 point instead of 3. Without those 6 points, we are tied for 13th in the league instead of being tied for 4th (goal differential doesn't mean jack at this point in the season, so I'm choosing not to take it into consideration in my rankings).

Say what you want to about Convey, but his job is to make good runs down the wing and to get crosses in. The game is 7 games old, and in 3 of those, he has connected with a striker. That's not so bad.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 09 Oct 2006 09:04

ANDY LEGG.....he of the longest throw in the football league...talk about predictable football...

dan19

by dan19 » 09 Oct 2006 09:27

International Royal Without doubt the one and only Mr Caskey. He was completely over-rated by the fans, the club and worse still himself. He came in the days when 700,000 was the same as probably spending 2 - 3 million today. That created expectation; he never delivered and so that is the definition of over-rated.

He was slow, fat and had absolutely no dedication to his profession. He was blessed with some talent but rarely if ever fulfilled it. A lot of the time he was untouchable and played week in week out. Most of the fans couldn't actually see how poor he was (until the end) and it was someone else’s fault or the make up of the team, we didn't play to his strengths, the team should be built around him, the others weren't as good and couldn't understand him. He was quite frankly the most over rated player I have ever seen. It did catch up with him in the end when he was reduced to cameos and eventually farmed out 5 years too late. It took Pardew to finally suss him.

For people to suggest people like Forster or Hughes they don't know what their talking about - again new supporters from a more recent era. Forster was probably the best player at this club for 4 years so how can be over rated? Hughes was average but played to his full potential and never gave less than 100% in a variety of positions. He was a manager’s player.

Agreed, especially about hughesy

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 10:15

Reading Abbey Andy Hughes, Nicky Forster (on basis of goals per game ratio), Sean Evers, Keith Scott, Mark McKeever (sp?) - (Didn't Sheffield Wednesday price us out of a move for him or he didn't want to come, and then his career nose dived), Mark Reilly, Robert Fleck, Paul Brayson, NeviLOLLOLe Roach, James Lambert (through his career away)......

Just for starters.

Nearly all of those players weren't overrated tough were they Jay? :? No one rated Scott, Brayson, Reilly, Fleck, they were all shit not overrated. McKeever was only ever a loanee who did alright for us at the time, and to suggest Forster was overrated is comical.

The guy carried us for 2 and a half seasons :roll:

Overrated is players who people thought were great yet hardly delivered, Hughes for one could be in there, yes he did give 100% but was sadly lacking any football abilitiy especially for a so called midfielder. Caskey had 1 really excelent season where he got 20 odd goals from midfield, never did it again or got close. Igoe is a prime candidate, Butler again had one awesome season the got injured, he's a lower league striker but we paid over the odds for him so he could be classified as overrated.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 09 Oct 2006 10:17

Is Hughes really overrated though? The fact he was a regular under Pardew, Coppell and Worthington suggests he was clearly rated by the people who know there stuff.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 09 Oct 2006 10:17

kingthor
alad Bobby Convey.

One season wonder.

That is crap. Convey may not be playing lights out, but in the last 4 games, he has 3 assists. Without each of those assists, we get 1 point instead of 3. Without those 6 points, we are tied for 13th in the league instead of being tied for 4th (goal differential doesn't mean jack at this point in the season, so I'm choosing not to take it into consideration in my rankings).

Say what you want to about Convey, but his job is to make good runs down the wing and to get crosses in. The game is 7 games old, and in 3 of those, he has connected with a striker. That's not so bad.

Don't worry. alad is only fishing.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Oct 2006 10:21

alad Bobby Convey.

One season wonder.

ALAD why do you bother coming on here?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 10:23

RG30 Is Hughes really overrated though? The fact he was a regular under Pardew, Coppell and Worthington suggests he was clearly rated by the people who know there stuff.

That's always the arguement, however is the success of us and the demise of Norwich over the last 18 months just a coincidence? Hughes always has and always will split fans opinions although about 99.9% of Norwich fans think he's toilet. :lol:

Some love his effort, work rate, versatility etc but others who actually want to see their midfielders not put crosses into the stands, aor actually make a 5 yard pass aren't all that keen. I always felt his best games for us were at full abck and he could make a decent RB, someone needs to put him there and sa that's where your playing.

For me not good enough, can understand why others think/thought differently.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Oct 2006 10:23

forster, hughes, and james lambert were all good players for us
cant believe some of you lot

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AJ~ » 09 Oct 2006 10:24

Alan Partridge No one rated Scott, Brayson, Reilly, Fleck, they were all shit not overrated.

Speak for yourself. 8)

But yes, I was about to say the same thing. A complete misunderstanding of the term.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 10:26

AJ~
Alan Partridge No one rated Scott, Brayson, Reilly, Fleck, they were all shit not overrated.

Speak for yourself. 8)

But yes, I was about to say the same thing. A complete misunderstanding of the term.

You must be related to him or something! ;) Saying that doing well for himself now he's found his level in the Conference, never delivered here though. 1 goal in 40 odd games! :lol:

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 09 Oct 2006 10:27

Alan Partridge
AJ~

Speak for yourself. 8)

You must be related to him or something! ;) Saying that doing well for himself now he's found his level in the Conference, never delivered here though. 1 goal in 40 odd games! :lol:

LOL!! I was there when Brayson scored! I was there when Brayson Scored, I was there when, I was there When, I was there when Brayson scored!!

Didn't it take one, maybe 2 deflections on the way in too!?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 10:28

Dangerous
Alan Partridge
AJ~

Speak for yourself. 8)

LOL!! I was there when Brayson scored! I was there when Brayson Scored, I was there when, I was there When, I was there when Brayson scored!!

PauLOL Brayson's defLOLected goaLOL. 8)

Heart and Seol

Over-rated players

by Heart and Seol » 09 Oct 2006 11:13

I was expecting big things from Les Ferdinand but was let down in a big way... good thing we were already flying high and didnt need his "talent" which i think he had lost by the time he came to the Royals.

Also Leroy Lita? He has scored some important goals and its not as if he doesn't score enough... but he has a lot of off games. Tell me if I'm wrong

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AJ~ » 09 Oct 2006 11:13

Alan Partridge
Dangerous
Alan Partridge
AJ~

Speak for yourself. 8)

I will always maintain that given a good run of games (starting!) and under good management (NOT BURNS) Brayson would have delivered. The lad had talent, joining Reading was the worst decision he ever made though and it set him right back in confidence and development.

When he left us he rattled in 15 goals for Cardiff (often playing from midfield) during season 2000/2001. He's above the Conference and could easily play at League 1 level at least. He was very unlucky with managers leaving as his contract expired at both Cardiff and Cheltenham, thus having to ply his trade slightly lower.

Need I remind you that last season Brayson became the only player ever to win the FA Cup "player of the round" award twice in the same competition. As the FourFourTwo article on young Brassie once said, The Boy's A Bit Special. 8)

I should relaunch the Appreciation Society.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 11:15

AJ~
Alan Partridge
Dangerous
Alan Partridge
AJ~

Speak for yourself. 8)

I will always maintain that given a good run of games (starting!) and under good management (NOT BURNS) Brayson would have delivered. The lad had talent, joining Reading was the worst decision he ever made though and it set him right back in confidence and development.

When he left us he rattled in 15 goals for Cardiff (often playing from midfield) during season 2000/2001. He's above the Conference and could easily play at League 1 level at least. He was very unlucky with managers leaving as his contract expired at both Cardiff and Cheltenham, thus having to ply his trade slightly lower.

Need I remind you that last season Brayson became the only player ever to win the FA Cup "player of the round" award twice in the same competition. As the FourFourTwo article on young Brassie once said, The Boy's A Bit Special. 8)

I should relaunch the Appreciation Society.

Your on your own mate. :lol: :wink:

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 09 Oct 2006 11:31

Some of you guys make me laugh! Butler, Igoe, Forster, Caskey etc, all played significant roles at the club at some time during their spells with us.

Now if you want an over-rated player, what about Paul Holsgrove? How the hell this man made 76 1st team starts for us is a mystery of modern times. Couldn't pass, couldn't tackle, couldn't head the ball, no pace, no guile, no bottle. Managed to score 7 times in 76 starts, for a ratio of 1:10. Might well be a wonderful human being, but an absolute waste of space on a football field.

Can only assume he was Quinny's love child or something, as he never made double figure league apps for any other league side as far as I can tell. (Best was 9 starts for Millwall pre-RFC and the same for Grimsby post-RFC, although I think he also had spells at Stoke, Crewe and Gillingham(?).

blue_army_wokingham

by blue_army_wokingham » 09 Oct 2006 11:34

caskey was never over rated. he was class. everytime we got a free kick within range he used to put them in.

keith jones or keith scott have to be the most over rated. or maybe sean evers

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 11:38

blue_army_wokingham caskey was never over rated. he was class. everytime we got a free kick within range he used to put them in.

keith jones or keith scott have to be the most over rated. or maybe sean evers

How are any of those 3 overrated? None of them made many starts for us nor were rated by the fans :roll:

Holsgrove is quite a decent shout, his best game was in the promotion game last season! :lol:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 09 Oct 2006 11:46

Steve Archibald anyone?

Remember all the hype about him coming to Elm Park. bumped the gate up from 3 - 5,000 for his one and only game and he was utter pony. he missed an open goal from 1 yard only for super Trev to bail him out.

185 posts