Steve Sidwell's Future

mattmartin89

Steve Sidwell's Future

by mattmartin89 » 10 Oct 2006 16:01

Reports today suggest that Newcastle have joined the race with Man City in the hunt to sign Sidwell..as much as i'd love to see him stay, i don't think he will still be a Reading player after the January transfer window.... :(
Last edited by mattmartin89 on 10 Oct 2006 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 10 Oct 2006 16:02

We were saying that about the summer, all through the summer...
Last edited by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo on 10 Oct 2006 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Oct 2006 16:03

It's a sad loss to the comedy circuit today with the double deaths of Ken Dodd and Russ Abbot, Jimmy Cricket is in a state of shock and is unavailable for interviews.

RIP guys :cry:

(Sorry floyd! :oops: :lol: )

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 10 Oct 2006 16:05

It would be a bit daft for a club to pay for a player that's out of contract at the end of the season. What's more, Sid will pocket a larger signing on fee if the club he moves to doesn't have to pay a transfer fee, so i think he will still be here in February.

Feel free to quote me if I get it wrong though.

starbug

by starbug » 10 Oct 2006 16:11

I'm confident he'll still be with us until the end of the season, although in January I wouldn't be surprised if he signs a some sort of pre-contract agreement with another club.

There's always the slim hope that Reading can convince him to stay... damn I'm such an optimist!

mattmartin89

Dodded

by mattmartin89 » 10 Oct 2006 16:11

Oh no! Ive been Dodded lol! Newcastle only joined the race today is the point i'm trying to get at! lol good point bout stayin 'til end of season..

poohs pure

Re: Steve Sidwell's Future

by poohs pure » 10 Oct 2006 16:13

mattmartin89 Reports today suggest that Newcastle have joined the race with Man City in the hunt to sign Sidwell..as much as i'd love to see him stay, i don't think he will still be a Reading player after the January transfer window.... :(

good idea on his part to leave to get involved in a relegation battle whilst watching us march into europe.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

Re: Dodded

by earley_royals » 10 Oct 2006 16:15

mattmartin89 Oh no! Ive been Dodded lol! Newcastle only joined the race today is the point i'm trying to get at! lol good point bout stayin 'til end of season..

Well it was in the paper on Sunday.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 10 Oct 2006 16:19

I hate these international breaks.

So much garbage is uttered.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Oct 2006 16:22

I think Sidders is better off staying than going to Man City as City are in loads of debt and could be relegated in any of the next few seasons!

I am sure Sidwell would get to play each week at City though!

Newcastle would be a good move for him as its a massive club and RFC would have no chance to compete with the Geordies on salary. I'm pretty sure the Magpies (Maggots) won't be getting relegated to the Championship anytime soon, although with Roeder at the helm anything is possible!

The problem Sidwell will have at Geordieland is how often will the poor blighter play? He wanted first team opportunities at Arsenal and they weren't forthcoming. The Geordies have Emre, Parker and a variety of other big names in the Centre of Midfield plus they can buy star players whenever they want. Sidwell may play a handful of first team games and then get frozen out!!

In my opinion Sidwell should stay with the Royals! he can take us places! While Reading are doing well, Sidwell should stay put! If the R's start to struggle in the Prem then he should consider his future but I am sure he will leave at the end of the season anyway as that is what he wants!

I wonder who will replace him!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Oct 2006 16:31

Do you have some sort of exclamation mark fetish Top Flight?

Newcastle are to be honest about as high as Sidders can aim whilst still hoping to play regularly in terms of size of club. Spurs maybe are of an equal size too. Any of the top 4 would be pointless for him unless he wants to imitate Parker's career at Chelsea.

After those two there are 3 or 4 other clubs who would be a decent shout for him, but other than he's probably just as well off staying with us whilst we're doing well in terms of risk of being relegated and playing regularly. the question is, is he bored and in need of a change of scenery, or is the wonga all important to him...

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 10 Oct 2006 16:32

The Surgeon of Crowthorne It would be a bit daft for a club to pay for a player that's out of contract at the end of the season. What's more, Sid will pocket a larger signing on fee if the club he moves to doesn't have to pay a transfer fee, so i think he will still be here in February.

The more clubs express an interest in him then the more likely it is he will be on the move in January imho.

Two, three or even four million is a relative drop in the ocean to a club like Newcastle if in turn they beat off the competition.

Sidwell might command even bigger wages if he waits to the summer but his opportunity might have gone six months later. Worse still, he takes the gamble that he doesn't pick-up a career threatening injury in the meantime.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 10 Oct 2006 16:34

Top Flight I think Sidders is better off staying than going to Man City as City are in loads of debt and could be relegated in any of the next few seasons!

I am sure Sidwell would get to play each week at City though!

Newcastle would be a good move for him as its a massive club and RFC would have no chance to compete with the Geordies on salary. I'm pretty sure the Magpies (Maggots) won't be getting relegated to the Championship anytime soon, although with Roeder at the helm anything is possible!

The problem Sidwell will have at Geordieland is how often will the poor blighter play? He wanted first team opportunities at Arsenal and they weren't forthcoming. The Geordies have Emre, Parker and a variety of other big names in the Centre of Midfield plus they can buy star players whenever they want. Sidwell may play a handful of first team games and then get frozen out!!

In my opinion Sidwell should stay with the Royals! he can take us places! While Reading are doing well, Sidwell should stay put! If the R's start to struggle in the Prem then he should consider his future but I am sure he will leave at the end of the season anyway as that is what he wants!

I wonder who will replace him!

It's all down to the wages mate, don't think he'll stay at Reading just because he's guaranteed a first team start or that he thinks we can do something.

If Newcastle offer him 20k+ a week he'll go.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Steve Sidwell's Future

by weybridgewanderer » 10 Oct 2006 16:53

mattmartin89 Reports today suggest that Newcastle have joined the race with Man City in the hunt to sign Sidwell..as much as i'd love to see him stay, i don't think he will still be a Reading player after the January transfer window.... :(

Sidwell is available on a bosman next summer

Nobody will buy him in January, clubs can start to talk to him in january but him joining them next summer

If anyone wants him and if he wants to leave reading he'll sign a pre contract to join them next summer for free

That way any transfer money will be available to pay increased wages and agents fees

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Oct 2006 17:29

Its a pain in the Ar*e losing Sidwell, but we all know its on the cards!

I respect him for giving everything in the final year of his contract with us. I wish him good luck for the future. You can't deny Sidwell the chance to move to a bigger club and earn a bigger salary. That is what he is in the game to achieve!

Just as long as he doesn't make a decision that is only money motivated and results in his career going backwards and ending up back in the Championship. (Charlton & Man City)

I won't begrudge Sidders a move to a club like Everton or Newcastle. But please not Man City. That would be awful!

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 10 Oct 2006 17:43

Alan Partridge (Sorry floyd! :oops: :lol: )

It's me you should be apologising to! :x :P

jm_cooper

by jm_cooper » 10 Oct 2006 17:54

ok but say he does go, how much would you be happy to see him leave for?

I think £2m, which would allow us to buy a solid replacement with a little left over.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Oct 2006 18:03

The Surgeon of Crowthorne It would be a bit daft for a club to pay for a player that's out of contract at the end of the season. What's more, Sid will pocket a larger signing on fee if the club he moves to doesn't have to pay a transfer fee, so i think he will still be here in February.

But it happens every year. Clubs who need a player now will pay now, even if that means getting someone in Jan who is going to be free in Jul.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 10 Oct 2006 18:16

You would imagine the club would be looking to increase the current wage budget next summer, if of course we stay up. Maybe we'll be able to give Sidwell the contract he wants and although most footballers are all about money, I'd like to think Sidwell has some real loyailty to the club and Coppell.

As much as Sidwell has been overated by others he has looked our best player this season and we'd have to spend a lot of money to replace him and I think he's better than the likes of Whitehead now who was looked at as a replacement.

HighburyRoyale

by HighburyRoyale » 10 Oct 2006 18:18

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe You would imagine the club would be looking to increase the current wage budget next summer, if of course we stay up. Maybe we'll be able to give Sidwell the contract he wants and although most footballers are all about money, I'd like to think Sidwell has some real loyailty to the club and Coppell.

As much as Sidwell has been overated by others he has looked our best player this season and we'd have to spend a lot of money to replace him and I think he's better than the likes of Whitehead now who was looked at as a replacement.

It would cost a fortune to replace Sidwell. I regret that for him it's partially a point of principal now too. I think even if we offered him more than he wanted in the Summer, he'll probably still go. Agree that he's been one of our best players so far though...