Now That's What I Call Football!!!!!!!!!!

121 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Oct 2006 11:29

Lux, I didn't enjoy the fact that we got pissed on, but I think most fans of football can watch a game of football, see their team get beaten, and still admire the quality of football displayed by the opposition, when they are as special as Arsenal were yesterday.

I'm sure it won't happen, but it would be great for the sport if Arsenal walked away with the title playing that brand of football, because hopefully other teams would then try to copy and we'd see that stuff more regularly.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 23 Oct 2006 11:35

Royal Rother
LUX
Tilehurst Mike

As for Arsenal, thats the best display of attacking, team football I ever have seen against a Reading side. Its a shame more fans didn't stay until the end to clap both teams off the field and acknowledge Arsenal's peformance.

You are joking.

No it's not a shame.

Yes Arsenal were very very good and they stuffed us. In answer to RR's question, no it gave me no pleasure to see that Arsenal display.

And you think of yourself as a football fan?

Make your mind up Royal Rother, did you enjoy it or not?

I'm with LUX on this one, whilst I can admire Arsenal's superb football, I would draw the line at enjoying it as, being an unashamedly partizan fan, I can't enjoy seeing a game where we didn't remotely compete.

It was too one sided to be a classic game, more an exhibition.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 Oct 2006 11:39

But it was a strange pain, unlike the pain of watching Reading lose 1-0 to a scrappy match with a fluke deflection goal.

Still painful, but in a different class

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Oct 2006 11:42

Schards#2 Make your mind up Royal Rother, did you enjoy it or not?

I admired / enjoyed Arsenal's display immensely, but did not enjoy the fact that we were thrashed.

I am a Reading fan, but not very partisan as first and foremost I love watching great football, so tend not to be one-eyed when watching our games, which is why my comments on Reading's matches are usually worth reading more than most observers' on here.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Oct 2006 11:44

Schards#2
Royal Rother
LUX
Tilehurst Mike

As for Arsenal, thats the best display of attacking, team football I ever have seen against a Reading side. Its a shame more fans didn't stay until the end to clap both teams off the field and acknowledge Arsenal's peformance.

You are joking.

No it's not a shame.

Yes Arsenal were very very good and they stuffed us. In answer to RR's question, no it gave me no pleasure to see that Arsenal display.

And you think of yourself as a football fan?

Make your mind up Royal Rother, did you enjoy it or not?

I'm with LUX on this one, whilst I can admire Arsenal's superb football, I would draw the line at enjoying it as, being an unashamedly partizan fan, I can't enjoy seeing a game where we didn't remotely compete.

It was too one sided to be a classic game, more an exhibition.

I agree, looking back, yes we were second best in every department yesterday and we were a million miles away from Arsenal yesterday.
Of course, Arsenal played fantastic, but posting a gushing post about the qualities of Arsenal after a 4-0 battering is an obvious post from a Gooner but not from a Reading fan.

The qualities and our lack of them were there all to see, in painful reality.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Oct 2006 11:47

readingbedding Of course, Arsenal played fantastic, but posting a gushing post about the qualities of Arsenal after a 4-0 battering is an obvious post from a Gooner but not from a Reading fan.

Pathetic.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 23 Oct 2006 11:52

I disagree with Uke. (Putting the distasteful goalkeeper injuries and the aftermath aside) I far preferred the Chelsea game. Why? Because we rattled Chelsea, deserved a draw, lost by only one (lucky deflected) goal and generally gave a great account of ourselves on live national TV (not MOTD, because they concentrated on the injuries).

I'd be the same with England. If we lost a key game to a brilliant Dutch display with Van Persie, Robben and van Nistelroy scoring "sweet" goals, I would not (metaphorically) stand and applaud the bar stads.

ps I've really got no problems with Arsenal winning the League if they play like that, blah blah, but they will not/do not. It was a one-off (OK they'll have half a dozen other performances like that, against relegation-fodder teams :? ).

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 Oct 2006 11:57

LUX I disagree with Uke. (Putting the distasteful goalkeeper injuries and the aftermath aside) I far preferred the Chelsea game. Why? Because we rattled Chelsea, deserved a draw, lost by only one (lucky deflected) goal and generally gave a great account of ourselves on live national TV (not MOTD, because they concentrated on the injuries)

Not quite what I menat since the Chelsea match had the lot as you say, in fact it was a thrilling TV spectacle (on Sky, not MOTD)

Its the taste left behind. With Moronho's moans it made the whole thing more sour.

Were you there or were you a virtual attendeee Lux?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 23 Oct 2006 11:59

Uke unlike the pain of watching Reading lose 1-0 to a scrappy match with a fluke deflection goal.

I thought this was a reference to the Chelsea game?

ps watched both games on SKY.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 Oct 2006 12:03

LUX
Uke unlike the pain of watching Reading lose 1-0 to a scrappy match with a fluke deflection goal.

I thought this was a reference to the Chelsea game?

ps watched both games on SKY.

It was

The adrenaline was there (unlike yesterday), but the taste was more bitter especially the next day with Moron's comments.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Now That's What I Call Football!!!!!!!!!!

by Scarface » 23 Oct 2006 12:05

Royal Rother Fantastic!

When Arsenal play like that it really is the beautiful game.

The best football ever seen at Reading.

Hopefully we can learn from it and aspire to add a few of their moves to our game. In fact there were a few signs in the last 10 minutes of us doing just that so I look forward to some lovely one touch, pass into space (not to feet) football in the coming weeks!!

it's easy to play like that when the opposition doesn't compete.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Oct 2006 12:08

Royal Rother
readingbedding Of course, Arsenal played fantastic, but posting a gushing post about the qualities of Arsenal after a 4-0 battering is an obvious post from a Gooner but not from a Reading fan.

Pathetic.

Especially one called 'Now that's what I call Football...'

And saying that your 'reports' on Reading's matches are usually worth reading more than most observers' on here, you must have extremely big shoulders for that extremely large head of yours.

Well played Arsenal, bad luck Reading.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Oct 2006 12:18

Note to self: Use winkys more often for RB's benefit. :roll:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Oct 2006 12:22

Oh dear

RR and rb having another little tif.

Why can't you guys get on?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Oct 2006 12:26

LUX I disagree with Uke. (Putting the distasteful goalkeeper injuries and the aftermath aside) I far preferred the Chelsea game. Why? Because we rattled Chelsea, deserved a draw, lost by only one (lucky deflected) goal and generally gave a great account of ourselves on live national TV (not MOTD, because they concentrated on the injuries).

I'd be the same with England. If we lost a key game to a brilliant Dutch display with Van Persie, Robben and van Nistelroy scoring "sweet" goals, I would not (metaphorically) stand and applaud the bar stads.

ps I've really got no problems with Arsenal winning the League if they play like that, blah blah, but they will not/do not. It was a one-off (OK they'll have half a dozen other performances like that, against relegation-fodder teams :? ).

True, you can't really moan at Coppell for trying to play football against one of the best footballing teams in Europe.
He just wanted to see how his team could fare.
Chelsea can play ugly and win in places like Bolton etc and if you try to negate Arsenal like teams like Bolton do year on year, they don't like it one bit.

From what I have seen we are just as good as 75% in this League, it's just a matter of believing it and getting on with it.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Oct 2006 12:30

I think the whole experience against Arsenal may have made other teams underestimate us again.

Hopefully.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 23 Oct 2006 12:53

Gordons Cumming I think the whole experience against Arsenal may have made other teams underestimate us again.

Hopefully.

you've just cheered me up, Gordon.

Al Fresco

by Al Fresco » 23 Oct 2006 16:28

Gordons Cumming
Al Fresco
Gordons Cumming Anyone know where I can see the goals from the game?

might be able to catch them on Sky sometime todays perhaps?

I was hoping to see them on the internet maybe.

sorry GC..all I can find on Arsenal v Reading goals is Robin van Percie's 'Friday Goal'

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?this ... riday+Goal

did find this too............

Arsenal Reading

The Madejski Stadium
Sunday 22nd October
4pm
On Sky

The term 'Super Sunday' was coined by the Sky Sports PR team, and tomorrow it is indeed just that. First of all we have the hate fuelled Man Utd v Liverpool and in the evening we have the 'El Classico' Real Madrid v Barcelona, and sandwiched inbetween is Arsenal's trip to The Madejski Stadium.

Out of the three promoted clubs, this fixture is by far the trickiest. Reading are playing some pretty tasty football, they drew with Man Utd and it took Fat Franks monthly deflected goal for Chelsea to get anything from the game, indeed Reading nearly took the lead themselves with a ferocious shot smashing against the post.

Make no mistake, Reading will give us one hell of a game, and they could get something from it too. Arsene Wenger needs to make sure his tactics are spot on, and the players can not be complacent.

COME ON YOU GUNNERS

just like their comments....'Fat Franks monthly deflected goal' :wink:

Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Volvicanus » 23 Oct 2006 17:15

I don't really mind heaping praise on Arsenal. We need more teams like this.

I honest to God got goosebumps watching Henry in the first half. The way he stops and waits to create the best positions instead of constantly rushing forward just is so amazing. Then to see Fabregas basically starting to do the same thing with him... well... it's just what you would pay to see as a football fan no matter who you support. Andy Gray(?) on his round up show said that if everyone played like Arsenal people would end up complaining because we need the diversity that comes with different squads - different abilities, etc... Frankly, I won't be complaining if a few more teams play like that.

stressed as usual

by stressed as usual » 23 Oct 2006 17:35

Royal Rother The contrast between the football played by Arsenal and that played by Man Utd and Chelsea is illustrated by Sonko's performances. He hardly got a defensive header in against Arsenal because they never put it in the air.

spot on, everything played along the ground.

121 posts