Keeping a perspective aswell as the faith .....

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Amsterdam Royal

Keeping a perspective aswell as the faith .....

by Amsterdam Royal » 29 Oct 2006 17:18

I have come to the conclusion that we were indeed 'punching above our weight' for some time now.
It is very clear that we are struggling to retain the ball for any length of time up front.( a problem not only for Reading but also for the national side for many years when competing against the majority of international teams.)
This results in an overworked midfield and consequently an over worked defence that eventually has to crack.
It was always going to be difficult with a small squad and I think that it is interesting that when we last lost Kitson for some time ..we seemed to go on a bit of a slump to say the least.
This time around the loss of Kitson was not immediate as the momentum of the first win took us through a few games...but in truth if you really analyse them ...with the hounourable exception of Sheff Utd. the other teams dominated us for long spells and should have got something out of the games.
Having lived in Holland for many years and grown up on the idea that if the other side does not have the ball they cannot score ....I think that we may need to either invest in a couple of players more comfortable and strong enough on the ball rather than a workhorse type of player who only harries the opposition as I really beleive that this is one of the main differences in the class beteeen the top leagues.
To finish on a positive note..I am absolutely thrilled to see Reading doing so well...and STILL in a better position than most could have dreamed about.
SC is a strong intelligent character and he will figure it out...as long as the mindless few do not harangue him into quitting.
A very well run club going forward all the time will occassionally have some set backs ..these will make us stronger in the long run..keep the faith.

mathematically_safe
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: keeping wicket for the quakers in my joy division oven gloves

by mathematically_safe » 29 Oct 2006 17:25

any target men in dutch football you could recommend?

Amsterdam Royal

by Amsterdam Royal » 29 Oct 2006 17:32

I wish. there were ......Dirk Kuyt/V of H. and Huntelaar were the best...Huntelaar remains in Holland but Man U. are sniffing and Reading dont have 8mill .quid I suspect.
Playing Seol there is certainly not the answer as he is too easily knocked off the ball in central positions..plus his best asset is his trickery on the line and then whipping crosses in...he needs to learn to get space.
Truth is we miss Murty more than Kitson at times.

Im Spartacus

Re: Keeping a perspective aswell as the faith .....

by Im Spartacus » 29 Oct 2006 18:47

Amsterdam Royal I have come to the conclusion that we were indeed 'punching above our weight' for some time now.
It is very clear that we are struggling to retain the ball for any length of time up front.( a problem not only for Reading but also for the national side for many years when competing against the majority of international teams.)
This results in an overworked midfield and consequently an over worked defence that eventually has to crack.
It was always going to be difficult with a small squad and I think that it is interesting that when we last lost Kitson for some time ..we seemed to go on a bit of a slump to say the least.
This time around the loss of Kitson was not immediate as the momentum of the first win took us through a few games...but in truth if you really analyse them ...with the hounourable exception of Sheff Utd. the other teams dominated us for long spells and should have got something out of the games.
Having lived in Holland for many years and grown up on the idea that if the other side does not have the ball they cannot score ....I think that we may need to either invest in a couple of players more comfortable and strong enough on the ball rather than a workhorse type of player who only harries the opposition as I really beleive that this is one of the main differences in the class beteeen the top leagues.
To finish on a positive note..I am absolutely thrilled to see Reading doing so well...and STILL in a better position than most could have dreamed about.
SC is a strong intelligent character and he will figure it out...as long as the mindless few do not harangue him into quitting.
A very well run club going forward all the time will occassionally have some set backs ..these will make us stronger in the long run..keep the faith.

Good post and some food for thought.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 29 Oct 2006 18:55

Amsterdam Royal I wish. there were ......Dirk Kuyt/V of H. and Huntelaar were the best...Huntelaar remains in Holland but Man U. are sniffing and Reading dont have 8mill .quid I suspect.
Playing Seol there is certainly not the answer as he is too easily knocked off the ball in central positions..plus his best asset is his trickery on the line and then whipping crosses in...he needs to learn to get space.
Truth is we miss Murty more than Kitson at times.

Huntelaar has a great scoring record, I should know. :twisted:

As you say, can;t afford him, and he's not going to leave the scum to come to reading, as much as it pains me to say it.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 29 Oct 2006 18:55

Also worth consdiering that if ever there was going to be a time to have a bad run, now is probably it. Even if we were playing better football, we prob wouldn't have too many points to show from it with such a rediculous run of tough fixtures anyway.

Charlton & Fulham will be crunch time

Amsterdam Royal

by Amsterdam Royal » 29 Oct 2006 19:03

Not sure about the last time that we lost 4 on the bounce but as other guys have said it is the manner that we have lost that concerns me just a tad....but we all knew that there would be concerns.
Think that we should be patient...I'm sure we are going to need a fair slice of lady luck.
Wonder how many players would be interested in coming to a team in the botom 3 v a team at mid table ...might make all the difference in January.

jonboy

by jonboy » 29 Oct 2006 19:32

Yes we have missed Murty - I didn't think he would shape up in this league but he's been excellent, this defensive unit has been together so long now. It's another reason why we need Little in the team he is one of the only players who can hold, run and pass the ball - he runs the whole length of the pitch sometimes with the ball whereas normally we would aimlessly punt the ball up to the stikers and lose it. He should have been in the team 2 or 3 games ago - I know he has his limitations with pace but we really need to retain the ball.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 29 Oct 2006 20:32

Bolton got humped 4-0 at home yesterday

Blackurn lost by 2 goals away at west ham today

they are both established premiership sides

Kinda puts it all in persepctive really

Amsterdam Royal

by Amsterdam Royal » 29 Oct 2006 20:52

Humped by Man U ?
How odd :)

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 29 Oct 2006 21:26

in line with us losing 4-0 by arsenal at home last week

just keeping things in perspective (its what this thread is about no?)

Amsterdam Royal

by Amsterdam Royal » 29 Oct 2006 21:27

In truth Weybridge we got humped and thumped by the Arse.!

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 29 Oct 2006 21:33

mathematically_safe any target men in dutch football you could recommend?

Van Hooijdonk (sp?) for a season or two?

The_Cat

by The_Cat » 29 Oct 2006 21:36

Reading Abbey
mathematically_safe any target men in dutch football you could recommend?

Van Hooijdonk (sp?) for a season or two?
No thanks.

Amsterdam Royal

by Amsterdam Royal » 29 Oct 2006 21:38

I would say not to Big Pete....dressing room harmony is important to Reading..and he would kill it in an instance !

The_Cat

by The_Cat » 29 Oct 2006 21:41

Amsterdam Royal I would say not to Big Pete....dressing room harmony is important to Reading..and he would kill it in an instance !
That's why I said no, decent player and all but not off the pitch.

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1