I've got this strange feeling..............

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

I've got this strange feeling..............

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Nov 2006 09:15

We've waited a long time for top flight football and all it entails, but I'm getting a very negative feeling about the whole circus that is the Premiership.

When Reading weren't involved you could look at it from a distance and see the bad things about it. The diving, the cheating, the media frenzy, the lazy journalistic b*ll*cks etc., etc.

Now Reading are involved in this monster I'm getting slightly nostalgic for the good old days. :shock:

Is there something wrong with me?

Discuss.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Nov 2006 09:18

Possibly. Possibly not. I see where you're coming from - which is rather worrying, as yesterday I also agreed with you about Long. I'm going for a lie down.

We don't even bother to watch any Championship games on TV and have no interest in the Championship anymore - which feels strange in itself.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 07 Nov 2006 09:19

Starting to feel the same way. The Premiership is where we want to be on the pitch, however if you want to be there then you generally have to take the circus with you. It sucks, but the good old days of last season and before I seem to have enjoyed much more than the Premiership so far.

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 07 Nov 2006 09:32

Well I enjoyed all the hype and attention when we were winning and doing well.... it's only recently that I've noticed how the press spin the story however they want to spin it, how MOTD concentrates on controversial incidents and not the football, how Premiership footballers are a bunch of whining t*ssers....

which tells me that my enjoyment of the Premiership is directly correlated with our results.

poohs pure

Re: I've got this strange feeling..............

by poohs pure » 07 Nov 2006 09:36

Gordons Cumming We've waited a long time for top flight football and all it entails, but I'm getting a very negative feeling about the whole circus that is the Premiership.

When Reading weren't involved you could look at it from a distance and see the bad things about it. The diving, the cheating, the media frenzy, the lazy journalistic b*ll*cks etc., etc.

Now Reading are involved in this monster I'm getting slightly nostalgic for the good old days. :shock:

Discuss.

have to totally disagree i'm afraid. i am loving every minute of the cheating and the diving and all the bullshit that goes with life in the premier league. we're big time charlies now and i for one dont want to go back to playing the likes of coventry, stoke, leicester,southampton,wolves,shef wed and all the other totally dire excuses for football teams.

by the way if you would like to get rid of your season ticket i will gladly buy it off you for my lad?

boycey

by boycey » 07 Nov 2006 09:36

yes there is , we're playing tottenham on saturday , we've just played liverpool , asenal , utd and chelsea .
We may have been beaten but we're learning all the time .
The media frenzy etc.. is all part of the spectacle . Enjoy it , I for one never thought I'd see the day when Reading made HEADLINES on the back page . It is all to be taken with a pinch of salt .
Let the Mourihnios of this world rant and rave , but for fans like us , we can sit back and enjoy .
I also think the best matches at the Mad are yet to come .
The six pont battles with charlton , sheff utd etc... will be blood and thunder affairs more reminisent of last season .

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 07 Nov 2006 09:41

Gordons Cumming We've waited a long time for top flight football and all it entails, but I'm getting a very negative feeling about the whole circus that is the Premiership.

Discuss.

Gordy, you are spot on, I'm totally disillusioned with the state of our national game, I couldn't give a toss about our national side anymore, and The Premiership is extremely over-rated IMHO.

I was sat on the train on Saturday, going through Crewe, Stockport, Macclesfield and thought to myself, these places aren't so bad to come to after all.

Whilst I agree that the Premiership is where we want to be, the circus is not wanted and I have had far more fun in following Reading in season's past than this so far. :?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Nov 2006 09:41

Good points all. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it too, but there is still a bad taste in my mouth. :shock:

................and my season ticket is going nowhere!!!!!!!!!

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 07 Nov 2006 09:43

Gordons Cumming Good points all. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it too, but there is still a bad taste in my mouth. :shock:

Sorry about that, I had a curry with garlic in last night! :wink:

Dickie's Spear

by Dickie's Spear » 07 Nov 2006 09:43

It's also hard to build up momentum too.
Less games, with more interuptions due to internationals and
other sideshows, and few midweek games.

It seems a long wait for the games to come around, and then hope
for improved results. Also never much in the way of news for
Reading, except of course for negatives such as the Chelsea whingers,
which incidently appears to have slowed our momentum anyway.

If we can stay up here for 2 or 3 years, maybe it will feel more comfortable then?

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 07 Nov 2006 09:59

Gordons Cumming

Discuss.

Yes, but a message board isn't the place to discuss it in depth.

mortimer royal

by mortimer royal » 07 Nov 2006 10:00

lower league football, was a rollercoaster of emotions, with big highs and big lows, the excitment of relagations, promotions and playoff's are something we wont get if we are an established prem side, i think the excitment pre season about how good life in the prem would be was a bit much, saying that i have really enjhoyed this season so far, and i expect the best is still to come

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 07 Nov 2006 10:01

I want the Chamopionship back.

The only other option would be Europe.

InterToto this season lads.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Nov 2006 10:04

On the pitch it's been about what i've expected, a few highs, a few lows and so-called big clubs getting the bulk of the decisions but i was prepared for it so it's no great surprise.

Off the pitch as far as opposition supporters are concerned i've been presently surprised by the reaction we've got . Obviously plenty of dickheads but there has been a lot more positive response to us by other supporters in the Premiership than i thought we'd get.

What i can't abide is the idiotic 2 bit nonsense spouted by so-called experts in the Media. I can just about take our own idiotic rantings on here ( mine included ) because at least it comes from people that have some sort of grasp of who we are and what we're about. However the stunning level of bias, ignorance and plain old bullshit from people that haven't got a oxf*rd clue about Reading FC which suddenly hits the media as if it were fact is really starting to piss me off.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Nov 2006 10:10

Big Ern
Gordons Cumming

Discuss.

Yes, but a message board isn't the place to discuss it in depth.

Your humour never fails to make me chuckle. :shock: Always guarantee a witty response from the Big Fat One. :wink:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Nov 2006 10:11

Vision However the stunning level of bias, ignorance and plain old bullshit from people that haven't got a oxf*rd clue about Reading FC which suddenly hits the media as if it were fact is really starting to piss me off.

In a nutshell.

Greyfox

I've got this strange feeling..

by Greyfox » 07 Nov 2006 10:12

I also wonder about the circus that is the premiership... we have had two potential penalties in the last two games and we are not whinging...we clearly have a lot to learn.
Also I understand why SC has to consider playing 5 across the back to limit the damage, but it does make me nostaglic for 4-4-2, even if there is a risk of being beaten 4-0.
The trouble is if we do not learn, what is there to aim for if we go back to the Championship...

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Nov 2006 10:14

I don't want to go back to the Championship, but just miss the old days a little.

That's all.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 07 Nov 2006 10:20

I miss last year and winning almost every game by big margins :cry:

windjammer
Location: Now living down in Cornwall, but missing the Royals

by windjammer » 07 Nov 2006 10:26

Mixed feelings really. It is a bit of an anticlimax this year. After waiting for SOOOOOOOOOOOOO long the anticipation on Aug 19 was unbearable. After several seasons of success culminating in last years unbelieveable season to suddenly become an also ran has been hard to take, even though we knew that it was going to happen. The circus off the field has been hard to take as we were used to the "Little old Reading doing better than everyone ever thought" syndrome. Was the club ready for the Premiership off the field? I don't think so, you get the impression they are doing things on the spur of the moment as and when they crop up with a faint air of surprise. I don't agree with the policy of match linking either. Not eveyone can afford the money or time to get a season ticket to get to every game so the remaining tickets should be sold on an individual match basis. It's the Premiership for heaven's sake, it's not as if you're not going to get 20,000 plus for Fulham, Charlton, Bolton, Blackburn, Watford and Sheff utd at home anyway. On the field although they say they tried hard to get people in there was also the attitude that the team who got us up is good enough to keep us there. When we played Wigan there were only 2 of their last promotion game team on the pitch at the end and one of them was sub! Not to have got at least another striker in, let alone a midfielder was wrong. Have we been unlucky with injuries? Maybe but no worse than any other club. I don't watch the "The Championship" on Sunday morning either, but the odds are in a couple of years or so we will be back down there, ask Birmingham, Southampton, Wolves, Crystal Palace etc.