Sidwell staying....?

HighburyRoyale

Sidwell staying....?

by HighburyRoyale » 10 Nov 2006 08:33

Steve Sidwell wants to sign a new Reading contract. (Daily Mirror)

Reported on the BBC. I'd sign him up like a flash. Slight blip in form or not.

topfuller

by topfuller » 10 Nov 2006 08:47

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=sidwell-in-u%2Dturn-on-royals-deal-%26method=full%26objectid=18074385%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

10 November 2006

SIDWELL IN U-TURN ON ROYALS DEAL EXCLUSIVE

By James Nursey

READING contract rebel Steve Sidwell has revealed he wants to re-open talks with the club and is prepared to snub interest from Manchester City to stay at the Madejski Stadium.

Ex-Arsenal midfielder Sidwell, 23, had threatened to quit the Berkshire side on a free next summer when his contract runs out or leave in the January transfer window.

But Sidwell, a target for City boss Stuart Pearce, admits he might agree terms at the Royals in the New Year with Steve Coppell's promoted team on course to stay in the Premiership.

"We will touch base in January and hopefully we can sit down again," said Sidwell, who joined Reading in 2003 from Arsenal.

"I want to stay in the Premier League for the rest of my career either with Reading or another club, but I think I can do it with Reading.

"At the moment sitting tight and not signing anything is the best thing for me to do. And every game is in front of a potential employer."

Tilehurst Mike

Re: Sidwell staying....?

by Tilehurst Mike » 10 Nov 2006 08:57

HighburyRoyale Steve Sidwell wants to sign a new Reading contract. (Daily Mirror)

I think he is beginning to realise how tough the Premiership is and how much better other midfielders are like Mendes who played him off the park at Pompey. He doesn't really have that much pace and has really produced too many incisive passes for the likes of Doyle and Lita to run on to. Probably explains why only the likes of Charlton and City have really been sniffing him out. That said I shall be delighted if he signs a new contract in January and stays a Royal.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Nov 2006 08:59

Not to mention the fact that he realises that he's more likely to get another year or more as a prem players if he stays with us, rather than with the likes of Charlton and City.

Although, isn't he just saying to RFC "let's see what you're prepared to offer me now", as a way of re-opening negotiations?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Nov 2006 09:01

Hasn't he always said this though? It's just another non-story surely.

What he really means is, "I want Reading to come back and pay me what I'm demanding. I don't care who I play for as long as they pay me."

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 10 Nov 2006 09:07

Hoop Blah Hasn't he always said this though? It's just another non-story surely.

What he really means is, "I want Reading to come back and pay me what I'm demanding. I don't care who I play for as long as they pay me."

Which, IMHO, is fair enough. We all want the best for ourselves and our families.

He's been a good servant. I won't knock him if he goes but would like to see him sign with us again.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 10 Nov 2006 09:11

That Friday Feeling
Hoop Blah Hasn't he always said this though? It's just another non-story surely.

Which, IMHO, is fair enough. We all want the best for ourselves and our families.

He's been a good servant. I won't knock him if he goes but would like to see him sign with us again.

This thread is showing signs of being far too sensible by suggesting that a person is correct in puttinghis family before the interests of RFC.

Can we not have some "Judas" and "Holding the club to ransom" posts to balance this out.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Nov 2006 09:14

Bloody Judas, holding the club I love to ransom - he should pay us to play for this club. Grrrrrr!

Better?!

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 10 Nov 2006 09:16

f**k him. He thought he was too good for Reading in the summer so why let him walk all over us now, accept a lesser bid from a lower division club and watch him play out the next season or 2 in League 1 for Crewe or someone.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 10 Nov 2006 09:16

I`m sure im not the only one that would like Sid "shop Window" Sidwell to either sign for us or move on as soon as possible.He`s a decent enough player on his day ,still has youth on his side but is no world beater.This club wont implode without him!!!
Clearly he and his agent are entitled to maximize his revenue and lets face it loyalty to club is hardly to the fore in the mindset of players these days.However the longer this saga drags on the more tedious it gets and a possible negative influence around the place.Will he or wont he??? Quite franly im at the point where I dont give a damn just sign or be damned and lets move on.>>Rant mode off<

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Nov 2006 09:16

Stranded Bloody Judas, holding the club I love to ransom - he should pay us to play for this club. Grrrrrr!

Better?!

No - you forgot to say that any one of us fans would play for the club for nothing....... :wink:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Nov 2006 09:21

Non-story. He's always said the doors open and he's willing to talk to Reading.

As a damn good player coming towards the end of his current deal he's going to look for the best deal he can after all one tackle and his career could be over. He's in the driving seat and the club have to match whatever the going rate is in this division after all if you know you could get X+Y somewhere else for doing exactly the same job rather than just X with your current employer you're going to want to at least discuss it aren't you...

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 10 Nov 2006 09:23

Barry the bird boggler Non-story. He's always said the doors open and he's willing to talk to Reading.

As a damn good player coming towards the end of his current deal he's going to look for the best deal he can after all one tackle and his career could be over. He's in the driving seat and the club have to match whatever the going rate is in this division after all if you know you could get X+Y somewhere else for doing exactly the same job rather than just X with your current employer you're going to want to at least discuss it aren't you...

I disagree, f**k him.

anR

by anR » 10 Nov 2006 09:38

Is it not significant that these comments come after the game at Anfield where he was arguably the worst player on the pitch? It was definately one of his worse games...

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 10 Nov 2006 09:39

If Soggy Biscuit was a director at RFC then he would Dear Mr Sidwell,

We appreciate your new found loyalty to the club but unfortunately due to you d*cking about last summer and claiming you were too good for us we have had to scout for new players, we have identified a more than suitable replacement and have subsequently invested funds that were originally allocated for you.

We also feel that RFC have moved on to a new level since promotion and to succeed in this new division we only want the most commited members of staff, unfortunately your 'Johhny big potatoes' attitude has show you to not meet this criteria and your serices are no longer required.

best regards

Soggy Biscuit
Director of some sort, RFC.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 10 Nov 2006 09:39

Glad to see the post is back on track :)

It was getting far to sensible

THing is does Sidwell play better when he is in the comfort of a contract or when he has a new contract to play for?

I think the former rather than the latter. If we want the best from him we should sort out his job concerns.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 10 Nov 2006 09:41

HighburyRoyale Steve Sidwell wants to sign a new Reading contract. (Daily Mirror)

He's suddenly realised that he's not as good as he thinks, sell him I say if we get a good offer.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Nov 2006 09:42

The story is basically that Sid is keeping his options open.

Dog bites postman comes to mind.

What WOULD be interesting is if we offer him very slightly more than we were doing before (nowhere near what Sid was demanding, but more than our "final" offer from August); would that be enough for Sid to re-sign without losing face?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 10 Nov 2006 09:53

If your mrs started saying that she thought she was too good for you and that if you didn't start getting better looking by the summer she was going to leave you and then after spending weeks flirting around bars in a wealthy area suddenly realised that she wasn't as hot as she thought she was and so came back to you, not apologising for her behavior, but instead just telling you that she had decided to stay with you would you welcome her back with open arms? no, f*ck her, you would tell her you had moved on and she should go and date a bloke in Rochdale who's bedroom performance hadn't improved in over 30 years.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 10 Nov 2006 09:53

soggy biscuit
If Soggy Biscuit was a director at RFC then he would Dear Mr Sidwell,

We appreciate your new found loyalty to the club but unfortunately due to you d*cking about last summer and claiming you were too good for us we have had to scout for new players, we have identified a more than suitable replacement and have subsequently invested funds that were originally allocated for you.

We also feel that RFC have moved on to a new level since promotion and to succeed in this new division we only want the most commited members of staff, unfortunately your 'Johhny big potatoes' attitude has show you to not meet this criteria and your serices are no longer required.

best regards

Soggy Biscuit
Director of some sort, RFC.

get over it. anyone with half a brain would do exactly the same, try and better yourself and your prospects. No different from anyone who leaves a company to go and do the same job elsewhere for better money and maybe increase their profile.
footballers rarely have the dedicated commitment we fans have to a club so you need to accept like many players before and many in the future, they will leave if the grass appears greener.
Equally, be broadcasting these intentions the current employer may increase his salary to keep him. Simple.
If I was him I would be doing exactly the same and I'm sure many others would too. including yourself.