Murty testimonial

127 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 23 Nov 2006 11:18

M4 Junction 11
Right&Royal Will his testamonial date be from the date he signed or when he made his first appearance? :wink: :lol:

A testimonial is to mark years service. It doesn't make sense to deduct time on the bench or in the treatment room so surely from when signed.

It was 2 years before he gave us any decent service so i'm deducting that and a further 12 months because it meant i had the emotional trauma of watching Andy bloody Gurney. I'm also deducting 6 months because he's played for Scotland and a further 6 months cos he cost us 700k from York City who haven't stopped whingeing about it since.

Is this unreasonable ? :wink:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Nov 2006 11:33

Agreed, Vision.

It's 1 and 1/2 years till is eligible anyway. Why the fuss now?

Pridders

by Pridders » 23 Nov 2006 12:12

If the money from a testimonial is going Murts then I wont be going, They get paid enough this takes the pi$$ IMO

If it was free to go or the money came back to the supporters then that would be a nice gesture

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Nov 2006 12:15

I think he should get one. Think he's done great service to the club. It's not about the money at all. We regularly give money to the club but this is a special occasion a way of saying thank you to a loyal servant.

It amazes me how he's made the step-up to the premiership. Thought he'd be one of the players to struggle but he's really important to the team.

Madejski's comments make sense but Murty deserves a fitting finale...

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 23 Nov 2006 12:17

Never understood Mr Mad's stance on this - he's in a lose lose situation.

If he sticks by his guns he lokks like an old scrooge stick in the mud.

If he relents then it makes him look weak in front of his business peers.

The fact that only a handful of testimonials are ever ever gonna be eligible anyway in this day and age made the whole thing pointless.

Money to Charity though deffo.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Nov 2006 12:20

igoe agogo Never understood Mr Mad's stance on this - he's in a lose lose situation.

If he sticks by his guns he lokks like an old scrooge stick in the mud.

If he relents then it makes him look weak in front of his business peers.

The fact that only a handful of testimonials are ever ever gonna be eligible anyway in this day and age made the whole thing pointless.

Money to Charity though deffo.

Totally agree agogo. He's put himself there to be shot at and he'll probably have to bow to public pressure. Also it's a crucial point that
very few people stay at clubs for 10 years anymore. Murty should get the 'testimonial' treatment.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Nov 2006 12:21

The only way this testimonial is going to happen is if all the proceeds go to charity.

Did Mr Mad relent on the Parky one? He said there were to be no more before that one.

Cavaman

by Cavaman » 23 Nov 2006 12:22

It's wonderful how JM manages to turn everything into a deal about the club losing money. Why should a testimonial be about losing money at all. The club could take its expenses, Murty would undoubtedly give a large sum to charity and most importantly, the poor fan who is paying more and more to the club as it becomes more successful would have an opportunity to say thank you to a loyal servant - if you don't want to pay, don't go!

I'm pretty sure thousands would be happy to pay to say thank you Graeme Murty.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Nov 2006 12:26

Cavaman It's wonderful how JM manages to turn everything into a deal about the club losing money. Why should a testimonial be about losing money at all. The club could take its expenses, Murty would undoubtedly give a large sum to charity and most importantly, the poor fan who is paying more and more to the club as it becomes more successful would have an opportunity to say thank you to a loyal servant - if you don't want to pay, don't go!

I'm pretty sure thousands would be happy to pay to say thank you Graeme Murty.

Exactly - think that JM is always playing the wrong tune when it comes to money. My heart bleeds for Mr. rich.

Y25

by Y25 » 23 Nov 2006 12:33

He's up there with Parky

If anyone deserves a testimionial he does

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 23 Nov 2006 13:11

jenster81 I think we all know for a fact that the majority of any money raised at a testimonial for him would be given to charity. .

I don't know this to be fact (although I applaud Murtys efforts on the pitch and those of his wife for charity). What have you heard?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Nov 2006 13:23

Gordons Cumming Did Mr Mad relent on the Parky one? He said there were to be no more before that one.

Yes. He obviously enjoys painting himself into corners.

pieface

by pieface » 23 Nov 2006 14:19

well let the moeny go to the club then i just think we should have a game dedicated to a captian who took us to the premership.
Last edited by pieface on 23 Nov 2006 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Nov 2006 14:23

Oh, I didn't realise it was a caption competition!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 23 Nov 2006 15:46

I understand the Chairman's point of view and would agree that these events should, for the most part, belong in the past.

However, I would like think that he is still prepared to show the same flexibility that saw him relent and allow Phil Parkinson his richly deserved testimonial.

As I said back then, I don't expect our long suffering Chairman or this club to have to put their hands in their pockets but, if fans are willing to buy enough tickets so see such an event played out in front of a nearly full stadium, what is achieved by deny them the right to show their appreciation :?

Yes, players earn crazy amounts of money these days but those who often earn the most are the ones who chase big bucks and lucrative transfers and, to be fair, football is a very short career.

I think it will be a sad day when there's no place left in the game to reward the kind of loyalty we've seen from Murty and Parkinson and I can't see Mrs M letting her husband get away without making a substantial donation to the wives and partners charity fundraising efforts :P

I've always supported the club for not giving long contracts to players over 30 (even when it involved the likes of Adie Williams).

I would far rather see Murty given a new one year deal along with a deserved testimonial than the ridiculous 3 years that Pardew gave Goater, for wish we received next to nothing in return whilst he piled shedloads into his pension fund at our expense. :?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Nov 2006 16:18

murts has never earned the big bucks, `not even now, and will hardly have set himself up for life after football -so why not a testimonial even if he wants to keep the cash-id happily chip in

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 23 Nov 2006 16:25

brendywendy murts has never earned the big bucks, `not even now, and will hardly have set himself up for life after football -so why not a testimonial even if he wants to keep the cash-id happily chip in

Well thats your choice obviously but at a rough guess he earns around half a million a year and if thats not "big bucks" i'd like your job.

Doesn't exactly qualify as destitute.

playoffs or layoffs

by playoffs or layoffs » 23 Nov 2006 16:29

Berkshire Born
jenster81 I think we all know for a fact that the majority of any money raised at a testimonial for him would be given to charity. .

I don't know this to be fact (although I applaud Murtys efforts on the pitch and those of his wife for charity). What have you heard?

On BBCRB this morning, Murty didn't dispute what is being alleged, just that it was 'wide of the mark' - read into that what you will.

He also said something along the lines of 'why shouldn't players use testimonials to be able to provide for their family' so he may not be thinking of donating the money raised to charity.

Song for Saturday? "Testimonial, a testimonial, he knows he wants, he's sure he wants, a testimonial" :oops:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Nov 2006 16:30

Vision
brendywendy murts has never earned the big bucks, `not even now, and will hardly have set himself up for life after football -so why not a testimonial even if he wants to keep the cash-id happily chip in

Well thats your choice obviously but at a rough guess he earns around half a million a year and if thats not "big bucks" i'd like your job.

Doesn't exactly qualify as destitute.

Ditto

Some people need to get real.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Nov 2006 16:33

How can Murty be suprised that a Testimonial Season might not be coming?

This story was all over TalkSport this morning.

Fat man Brazil was imploring all 'good Reading FC fans' to write to the club.

I've helped to pay Murty's wages and Mr Mad is 100% correct not to go back on his word.

He's drawn a line and it's done.

No Mas!

127 posts