Humble pie - one slice for everyone

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Humble pie - one slice for everyone

by readingbedding » 20 Nov 2006 08:08

Who slagged off S Hunt for not being a good enough footballer at this level.

Sometimes players improve and get up to speed you know.

He's not the best player in the League but he's not the worst, and he'll do a good job against most teams at most times...

Tuck in lads.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Humble pie - one slice for everyone

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2006 08:42

readingbedding Who slagged off S Hunt for not being a good enough footballer at this level.

Sometimes players improve and get up to speed you know.

He's not the best player in the League but he's not the worst, and he'll do a good job against most teams at most times...

Tuck in lads.

And sometimes players have the odd game where they play above themselves.

As I've said in other posts, I thought he was excellent on Saturday. However, that was one performance. He has not convinced me yet that he has it in him to play that well consistently. If he continues to play as well (or nearly as well) as he did at the weekend, I will be more than happy to reassess my view of him.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 Nov 2006 08:44

If you cannot see an improvement in Hunt's game certainly from last year, you are blind.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2006 08:47

readingbedding If you cannot see an improvement in Hunt's game certainly from last year, you are blind.

Where did I say that?

I said that he has not convinced me yet that he can perform well enough at this level week in week out but on Saturday he was excellent. You may have noticed we are playing at a higher level this season than last.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 20 Nov 2006 08:49

readingbedding If you cannot see an improvement in Hunt's game certainly from last year, you are blind.

I can see the improvement. He still needs to try and improve his first touch though. There must have been at least 4, maybe 5, moves that broke down because he mis-controlled the ball.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 Nov 2006 08:57

Stranded

Where did I say that?

I said that he has not convinced me yet that he can perform well enough at this level week in week out but on Saturday he was excellent. You may have noticed we are playing at a higher level this season than last.

Yes and judging by the patronising comments about his play recently it was constantly mentioned that last year's season was his level at best.

I'm just putting things straight.

And also it might occur to you that Coppell certainly sees something in him, and again the man is right and the kneejeck, over-reactive, quick to blame, argue and moan posters on this forum are 100% wrong.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 20 Nov 2006 08:57

I think Ken Dodd was the prime suspect.

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52590

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 Nov 2006 08:59

Good to see that I am not the only one.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 20 Nov 2006 09:08

It is always the same at this level, some players manage to play well above their normal skill level. There have been plenty of example of this with other teams, I still consider Hunt to be a squad player and would put Convey ahead of him every game.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2006 09:11

readingbedding
Stranded

Where did I say that?

Yes and judging by the patronising comments about his play recently it was constantly mentioned that last year's season was his level at best.

I'm just putting things straight.

And also it might occur to you that Coppell certainly sees something in him, and again the man is right and the kneejeck, over-reactive, quick to blame, argue and moan posters on this forum are 100% wrong.

Yes Coppell sees something in him. He sees him as the second best option to play on the left hand side of midfield. He is only in the side due to injury don't forget - he has to maintain his current level to stay in the side.

Like I have said, if he continues to play to the levels he displayed at the weekend then he will deserve to keep his place and I will be happy to reassess my overall view of him - christ I want to be proved wrong. However, one swallow does not make a summer so I will not change by overall judgement on the basis of Sat as I would not change my view on a player after one bad game.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Nov 2006 09:29

Huntley & Palmer I still consider Hunt to be a squad player and would put Convey ahead of him every game.

No one can doubt Hunt's commitment and effort and he was excellent on Saturday but agree with the above comment.

Reading Abbey

Re: Humble pie - one slice for everyone

by Reading Abbey » 20 Nov 2006 09:29

readingbedding Who slagged off S Hunt for not being a good enough footballer at this level.

It was only Charlton! :wink:

In all fairness, he was superb on Saturday but his performances have been lacking. Before Saturday it was a fair argument that Oster should possibly get a look in.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 20 Nov 2006 09:36

Stephen Hunt has what you want every footballer to show. Energy, enthusiasm, chasing down lost causes, stamina, etc... Unfortunately he doesn't quite a have the skill level to match it. However the footballing skills can improve through training, whereas his other attributes are things players just have or don't have.

Whether he keeps his place or not when Convey is fit I'm not sure, but he should always be the first player put down for a place on the bench if he isn't starting. In a way he reminds me of Parky, who was another of those players who makes up for their lack of finesse with the ball in other areas of their game.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Nov 2006 09:36

I just think he has improved with virtually every game he has played this season so here's hoping the progression continues.

(And just think where he came from - Brentford reserves less than 18 months ago for goodness sake...)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2006 09:47

Royal Rother I just think he has improved with virtually every game he has played this season so here's hoping the progression continues.

(And just think where he came from - Brentford reserves less than 18 months ago for goodness sake...)

I don't think anyone is questioning his improvement but as I say now, it is about consistancy. None of us currently will know if Saturday was his peak or whether we can expect consistant performances of that standard. I truly hope it is the latter.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 20 Nov 2006 09:47

Agreed. Hunty's display was superb on Saytuday and I am eating some humble pie today. Mind you, I do remember Andy Hughes having the odd good game.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Nov 2006 09:52

Zammo Mind you, I do remember Andy Hughes having the odd good game.

Now you're just being silly. :wink:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Nov 2006 10:47

What I find laughable about those who are so convinced that Convey is the better player is that, if we have one star performer from last season who has yet to show that he can make a real impact at this level, it's Convey.

This could be due to the injury he's had since the summer but so far all of Hunt, Little, Seol and Oster have had better starts to life in the Prem and Bobby is currently at the back of the queue for a place on the wing, with at least one rival very comfortable on either flank.

As ever, impartiality is too rare a commodity on this forum, as evidenced by too little praise for some very promising performances from Oster and Hunt........what a surprise!!! :roll:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Nov 2006 11:12

I agree with you. :shock:

Let's just cherish this moment shall we? :wink:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Nov 2006 11:18

:P