The Wigan comparison

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

The Wigan comparison

by Huntley & Palmer » 26 Nov 2006 14:02

Apparently this was highlighted on MOTD last night, though I didn't see it. We are three points behind their total at this point of the season last year, though we are out of the League Cup as well. Personally I am very happy with how the team have gone about affairs this season, no massive tactic changes from last season so everyone knows what they are doing. Dare we whisper Europe?

BillBrasky

by BillBrasky » 26 Nov 2006 14:33

Wigan had an easier schedule up to this point last season. However, their first 3 matches in December were away to Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd and they lost all 3 by a total of 8 to 0. Reading have an easier stretch coming up but finish the year with Chelski and Manure. I think they have a pretty good chance at besting Wigan's season.

bassavage

by bassavage » 26 Nov 2006 14:38

BillBrasky Wigan had an easier schedule up to this point last season. However, their first 3 matches in December were away to Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd and they lost all 3 by a total of 8 to 0. Reading have an easier stretch coming up but finish the year with Chelski and Manure. I think they have a pretty good chance at besting Wigan's season.

Is that a word?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Nov 2006 14:39

Mark LOLrencson said the new Wigan tag was an insult as we're doing a Reading not a Wigan.

Admitted everyone is shocked at our progress because they were ignorant and didn't know enough about our Championship form.

Let us not forget that Wigan gained promotion then signed almost an entire new squad. Our only notable signing so far has been Seol Ki Hyeon.

I think the Premiership will be taking more of an interest in the Championship from now on as we've proved that relatively cheap players can make the step up and hold their own.

Gentleman Jim

by Gentleman Jim » 26 Nov 2006 14:46

Fair Play to LOLOLawrenson for holding his hands up and admitting what we already knew. I noticed that Shearer was conspicously silent having also tipped fortress Brammell lane to keep Sheff Utd up.

Maybe this is a turning point for pundits who won't just look at the name and write "UNDERDOG" nest to Reading. But who really cares what these people think anyway :?:

fruits

by fruits » 26 Nov 2006 15:27

Gentleman Jim Fair Play to LOLOLawrenson for holding his hands up and admitting what we already knew. I noticed that Shearer was conspicously silent having also tipped fortress Brammell lane to keep Sheff Utd up.

Maybe this is a turning point for pundits who won't just look at the name and write "UNDERDOG" nest to Reading. But who really cares what these people think anyway :?:

I could n´t care less what these twats say, if they were any good they would manage.

They all think the world begins and ends with the Premiership , the people Joe Public are going less to Premiership games and more to the Championship and Divis 1 +2.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 26 Nov 2006 17:25

It did strike me that although complementing us, they did not mention any players by name, only that of the manager and giving him the fullest praise.
Maybe by the end the season they will have learnt their names and be giving some individuals some credit too

Rob-Royal

by Rob-Royal » 26 Nov 2006 18:46

Forbury Lion Mark LOLrencson said the new Wigan tag was an insult as we're doing a Reading not a Wigan.

Admitted everyone is shocked at our progress because they were ignorant and didn't know enough about our Championship form.

Let us not forget that Wigan gained promotion then signed almost an entire new squad. Our only notable signing so far has been Seol Ki Hyeon.

I think the Premiership will be taking more of an interest in the Championship from now on as we've proved that relatively cheap players can make the step up and hold their own.

I think they already do to be fair, but depends which teams in the Prem we're referring to. We all know that there are at least 2 divisions in the Premiership and perhaps the gap between those outside the top 6-7 in the Premiership is not that great from the top 6 of the Championship.....which may explain why we're seeing more promoted teams holding their own unlike previous seasons.....?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Nov 2006 19:59

Rob-Royal
Forbury Lion Mark LOLrencson said the new Wigan tag was an insult as we're doing a Reading not a Wigan.

I think they already do to be fair, but depends which teams in the Prem we're referring to. We all know that there are at least 2 divisions in the Premiership and perhaps the gap between those outside the top 6-7 in the Premiership is not that great from the top 6 of the Championship.....which may explain why we're seeing more promoted teams holding their own unlike previous seasons.....?
There's an argument for saying every team below us in the league should look to follow our approach.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 26 Nov 2006 21:57

Indeed it has been, that is a point I have tried to make to anyone who says we're "doing a Wigan". Wigan Athletic FC went about their success in a markedly different fashion to Reading FC. Wigan spent big and spent outside their means. I cannot see how Wigan can afford the high wages of players like Emilole Heskey et al with their minimalistic turnover! Crowds of 15 or 16k, hardly any marketability. Reading have spent prudently on the other hand, and within our means. We haven't broken the bank, even to keep our best players. Steve Sidwell Being the prime example. And I think we're a much healthier club for it.

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 26 Nov 2006 21:59

My wife keeps mentioning Europe and when other games take place like Newcastle vs Pompey, she'd say "Could do with Pompey losing this one" and I'll say "No. We want a Pompey win and keep Newcastle down there in the mix".
Until we're safe I can't even begin to look at what else we can achieve.

BillBrasky

by BillBrasky » 26 Nov 2006 23:24

bassavage
BillBrasky Wigan had an easier schedule up to this point last season. However, their first 3 matches in December were away to Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd and they lost all 3 by a total of 8 to 0. Reading have an easier stretch coming up but finish the year with Chelski and Manure. I think they have a pretty good chance at besting Wigan's season.

Is that a word?

Yessiree

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 27 Nov 2006 00:30

BillBrasky
bassavage

Is that a word?

Yessiree

Is that a word? :wink:

Half Man Half Biscuit

by Half Man Half Biscuit » 27 Nov 2006 00:53

Wigan bloody Wigan, give it a rest.
We are the best bloody debutants the Premiership has had! Sod bloody Wigan

I bloody love this club I do.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1