Marcus top five keeper.

Cookie

Marcus top five keeper.

by Cookie » 12 Dec 2006 20:02

The Actim index makes Marcus the third best keeper in the top flight, you've got to admit his clean sheets are a big contribution to our fantastic start.

1 EDWIN VAN DER SAR
2 DAVID JAMES
3 MARCUS HAHNEMANN
4 JUSSI JAASKELAINEN
5 JOSE REINA

http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?command=forwardOnly&nextPage=actimTop5&type=Goal%20Keeper

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 12 Dec 2006 20:16

You have even posted on the original Actim thread!

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 12 Dec 2006 20:20

Perhaps now he will stop getting abuse from some on this forum! Yes he certainly can improve, but with the exception of van der Sar, Given and Lehmann, who is actually better than him?

James may be above him here, but is far more likely to make a cock up, dito Reina and he plays for Liverpool! Well done USA!

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 12 Dec 2006 20:40

surely this should now give him more of a chance to be the USA number 1?

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 12 Dec 2006 21:32

jumpers for goalposts Perhaps now he will stop getting abuse from some on this forum! Yes he certainly can improve, but with the exception of van der Sar, Given and Lehmann, who is actually better than him?

James may be above him here, but is far more likely to make a cock up, dito Reina and he plays for Liverpool! Well done USA!

Better than Hahnemann:

Petr Cech, Carlo Cudicini, Jussi Jaaskelainen, Brad Friedel, Anti Niemi, Tomas Sorenson, Chris Kirkland, David James, to name but a few...

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 12 Dec 2006 21:48

Thomas L'Heureux
jumpers for goalposts Perhaps now he will stop getting abuse from some on this forum! Yes he certainly can improve, but with the exception of van der Sar, Given and Lehmann, who is actually better than him?

Better than Hahnemann:

Petr Cech, Carlo Cudicini, Jussi Jaaskelainen, Brad Friedel, Anti Niemi, Tomas Sorenson, Chris Kirkland, David James, to name but a few...

On current form I would say Marcus is better than those 3

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 12 Dec 2006 21:53

Abuse?

He gets criticisms. His distribution could be better. Simple as.

I can't recall anyone ever complaining about his ability to stop shots.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 12 Dec 2006 22:12

londinium
Thomas L'Heureux

Better than Hahnemann:

On current form I would say Marcus is better than those 3

As goalkeepers alone, those 3 are definitely better than Marcus in my opinion. You have to take into account the teams these players are playing behind, and in Niemi and Friedel's cases especially, the defences in front of them are very suspect.

Barring a few mistakes a couple of seasons ago, Tomas Sorenson has been outstanding for Villa ever since.

Finchley Royal

by Finchley Royal » 12 Dec 2006 22:27

Last weekend notwithstanding, Scott Carson is also better than Marcus.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 12 Dec 2006 22:33

Scott Carson I agree. Tim Howard, Tomas Kuszczak, Steve Harper... the list goes on.

I love Marcus but to suggest he's the best goalkeeper in this league bar Lehmann, Given, and Van Der Sarr is obscene.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 12 Dec 2006 23:04

Ok abuse was the wrong word!

I believe Marcus is a top keeper. His distribution must improve I agree. But the fact that he has been with us for many seasons now shows that he's up there. If he really wasn't that good then SC or Parjudas would have got rid of him.

The guys mentioned i.e. Howard, Carson, Harper are all decent keepers, but none of them have consistently played at successful clubs for any considerable period of time. Howard was not good enough for United, dito Carson at L'pool and Harper has always been No 2 to Given. On this basis alone I don't believe they can be seen as better than Marcus. They may well have more natural ability than USA that I grant you, but over the course of a season Marcus is consistent enough to be up there with any keeper in the league in my opinion.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 12 Dec 2006 23:21

jumpers for goalposts Ok abuse was the wrong word!

I believe Marcus is a top keeper. His distribution must improve I agree. But the fact that he has been with us for many seasons now shows that he's up there. If he really wasn't that good then SC or Parjudas would have got rid of him.

The guys mentioned i.e. Howard, Carson, Harper are all decent keepers, but none of them have consistently played at successful clubs for any considerable period of time. Howard was not good enough for United, dito Carson at L'pool and Harper has always been No 2 to Given. On this basis alone I don't believe they can be seen as better than Marcus. They may well have more natural ability than USA that I grant you, but over the course of a season Marcus is consistent enough to be up there with any keeper in the league in my opinion.

Carson and Howard are both out on loan to gain more experience. To say these two keepers, especially Carson considering he's only in his early twenties, are not good enough for their respective clubs is laughable. In my opinion Carson will be a top keeper, and Tim Howard has come on leaps and bounds since his loan move to Everton and I see no reason that with the added expereince can't challenge for the number one spot at Man Utd in 12 months time.

Marcus has done well for the club but to say he is up there with the best of them is a but generousm and if he was that good they why did Fulham release him and why hasn't a bigger club come in for him.

I am not getting at Marcus because he has been a fine keeper for us, but I do think he has reached his peak, and he may well be one of the players SC looks to replace over the next 12 months as at 34, he won't get any better with his ditribution, and he will begin to lose his mobility in the coming seasons.

Citizen

by Citizen » 12 Dec 2006 23:46

Nice guy.

Dodgy keeper.

Distribution awful.

Postioning suspect.

You can do anything with statistics.

Just look and watch.

Nice guy.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 13 Dec 2006 00:14

Citizen Nice guy.

Dodgy keeper.

Distribution awful.

Postioning suspect.

Just look and watch.

Nice guy.

Distribution is supect at time, but not always awful.....he got an assist for Doyles goal against Spurs

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 13 Dec 2006 00:28

Ben Foster has been the best young keeper in the league this season IMO, much better than Carson who is over rated and makes errors for alot of goals he concedes.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Dec 2006 09:25

royalsteve
Citizen Nice guy.

Dodgy keeper.

Distribution awful.

Postioning suspect.

Just look and watch.

Nice guy.

Distribution is supect at time, but not always awful.....he got an assist for Doyles goal against Spurs

i seem to remember him setting up quite a few goals last year with his dodgy distribution, cant have got that much worse over the summer

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Dec 2006 09:45

Well apparently he's been playing with a broken foot since the Man City game.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 13 Dec 2006 10:24

alad Ben Foster has been the best young keeper in the league this season IMO, much better than Carson who is over rated and makes errors for alot of goals he concedes.

Safe to say Man U have a pretty decent back-up for when Van Der Sar decides to quit.

Not sure if Sir Alex will want Foster booting the ball up 60 yards though when playing for Man U!

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 13 Dec 2006 10:27

Super_horns
alad Ben Foster has been the best young keeper in the league this season IMO, much better than Carson who is over rated and makes errors for alot of goals he concedes.

Safe to say Man U have a pretty decent back-up for when Van Der Sar decides to quit.

Not sure if Sir Alex will want Foster booting the ball up 60 yards though when playing for Man U!

It'd be good to see him get a real run-out at United but Kuzsczak (sp) is there already and can't be much older

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 13 Dec 2006 12:04

As mentioned earlier Marcus has been having injections in his lil toebone since Man City game after Shane long landed on him snapping bone in training.
The good news is that it has healed up now and Marcus says he feels 24 again. :wink: