Robin Friday

184 posts
readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

Robin Friday

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 16 Dec 2006 18:25

Mentioned often around these boards, and by the looks rightly so. A legend at Reading.

Being one who is more young than old, I wasn't lucky enough to see him in action or know how he played. Just wondering, what did actually make THE Robin Friday so special? Is he comparable to the current Reading forwards? How?

Petercccccc

by Petercccccc » 16 Dec 2006 18:27

From what i know he scored one truly amazing goal, but no video evidence to prove it, and was a drunken voilent yob. Could be completely wrong though.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 16 Dec 2006 18:29

Petercccccc From what i know he scored one truly amazing goal, but no video evidence to prove it

LOL - next week Petercccccc dismisses the moon landings as a hoax :lol: .

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 16 Dec 2006 18:39

He was a gifted player no doubt about that, but he only ever played for us in the 4th division, so as far as I'm concerned he doesn't come close to anyone in the current team.

liamob

by liamob » 16 Dec 2006 18:53

theres a book called the best player you never knew or something! ive read it! its amazing, its written by the old oasis bass player
he could of played division 1 but he was always a bit too pissed to do anything about it!
theres an amazing picture of him when he played for cardiff sticking 2 fingers up at the goalie
he is by far the best player reading ever had and ever will!

ps how shit was sidwell today!

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Dec 2006 19:00

So you have read a book about a player that you never saw play written by someone who also never saw him play, based on that book and the fact that robin friday only played Div 4 football you feel qualified to judge him the best reading player ever.
He would not even get in the ground now never mind the team.

patrickhenley

Robin F

by patrickhenley » 16 Dec 2006 19:19

Actually as someone who saw him play in most of his Reading matches, and saw "That goal",I believe he could have played at any level then or now,his temperament was lacking,but refs would give him far more protection these days,most of his sendinds off and bookings were a result of being kicked and wrestled!

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 16 Dec 2006 19:20

Friday was by far the most naturally gifted player ive ever seen.Its simply unknowable as to what he could have gone on to achieve had he had some discipline both on and off the field.That simply was not an option for him.
He scored many outstanding goals not just the one v Tranmere which I had the joy to observe.His antics on and off the field are well documented and the book"the greatest footballer you never saw" is a good read if you are interested.
Reading FC and football has changed so much since the 70`s but he would still be first on my all time Reading team sheet.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 16 Dec 2006 19:24

72 bus So you have read a book about a player that you never saw play written by someone who also never saw him play, based on that book and the fact that robin friday only played Div 4 football you feel qualified to judge him the best reading player ever.

I think with regards to the book in question, it certainly was written by Guigsy of Oasis. However what it contains are excerpts and articles from those that knew him, played with him. It isn't written solely from one man's perspective, and in my opinion gives a damn good insight into what the life of Friday was like. I personally have never seen him play either, I'm not old enough to have seen him play, and I certainly make no judgment on him, however the consensus of opinion of those that DID see him play I think you'll find would be that he was a man who could have played at any level.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Dec 2006 19:51

Petercccccc From what i know he scored one truly amazing goal, but no video evidence to prove it, and was a drunken voilent yob. Could be completely wrong though.

You are very wrong about his footballing talents and probably wrong about the violent bit. There are plenty of witnesses to the truly spectacular goal, including myself and a world class referee, and he scored plenty of other brilliant goals as well.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 16 Dec 2006 20:04

RF is a legend and the best ever player to wear the Reading shirt in competetive games, if we had one player with his skills today the ground would be sold out every week.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 16 Dec 2006 20:04

72 bus The fact that robin friday only played Div 4 football you feel qualified to judge him the best reading player ever.

First off, Robin Friday played in Div 4 with us, and then in Div 3 with us after we got promoted. He then went to Cardiff who were in, what, Div 2?

Shane Long has played in the Premiership. Does anyone in here think Shane Long is better than Robin Friday?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 16 Dec 2006 20:27

Denver Royal Shane Long has played in the Premiership. Does anyone in here think Shane Long is better than Robin Friday?

At the moment, yes. :wink:
Last edited by Avon Royal on 16 Dec 2006 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 16 Dec 2006 20:30

I was fortunate to have seem Robin Friday play many times. It wasn't just about the Tranmere goal although that was the best ever. He tackled extremely well and with an amazing "hooking" technique that I had not seen before or since. He wore his heart on his sleeve and for his time with Reading that mean that he gave loads for the club on the pitch. I've seen him kicked all over the place and yet he got up and played on. He didn't dive either.

He was impulsive, yes, but he was such a character, he'd have the ground laughing with him. When he played, the atmosphere in the ground was electric, no one knew what he would do next. Yes, he'd make it into the Reading team today, I'd play him behind Doyle or Kitson without hesitation.

We loved him because he was one of us, he was ours, and he lived our dreams for 90 minutes on most weekends. Imagine the energy of James Harper, the tackling of Steve Sidwell, the dribbling skills of Stephen Hunt and the strike rate of Kitson/Doyle all in one player.

That was Robin Friday

Cookie

by Cookie » 16 Dec 2006 20:32

The 17 Bus RF is a legend and the best ever player to wear the Reading shirt in competetive games, if we had one player with his skills today the ground would be sold out every week.

It is sold out every week isn't it?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 16 Dec 2006 20:41

Denver Royal
72 bus The fact that robin friday only played Div 4 football you feel qualified to judge him the best reading player ever.

First off, Robin Friday played in Div 4 with us, and then in Div 3 with us after we got promoted. He then went to Cardiff who were in, what, Div 2?

Shane Long has played in the Premiership. Does anyone in here think Shane Long is better than Robin Friday?

Sadly, Friday's deterioration was largely of his own making. If he looks after himself and is looked after, we shall see potentially great things (very different type of talent from Robin Friday) in the future.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 16 Dec 2006 20:45

Denver Royal
Avon Royal
Denver Royal Shane Long has played in the Premiership. Does anyone in here think Shane Long is better than Robin Friday?

At the moment, yes.

Hmmm, so you aren't one of all those people who think Long should be banished to Peterborough on loan for a season then?

Not Peterborough anyway.

Personally I think that Long could eclipse Doyle in the long term. I can't see how a stint at some lower division cloggers is going to help his development - he already has physical strength above his years. A season long loan at a technically adept Dutch team may be worth considering.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 16 Dec 2006 20:50

It's very difficult to judge a player who only played for us in the lower divisions.
Based on the fact that Neil Webb and Kerry Dixon also played for us at those same levels and went on to get England caps maybe those of us that saw him can make some sort of judgement.
I feel that he could have been as good as these Reading greats but whereas he would have had better protection from referees he might not have been able to save himself from the self indulgencies which surely would have been greater with the enormous increase in earnings that he would have enjoyed.

For me he was the greatest entertainer in all of my time watching RFC and only Tommy Jenkins came near to giving the same excitement level.
Players (especially the current RFC players) are functional and we can admire their tremendous fitness and teamwork but other than Little we don't have too many (even at the highest level at which we now play)who set the pulse racing as Friday did.
A very skillful,strong and brave player who was a terrific finisher both with head and foot and I am so pleased that I saw him play.

Petercccccc

by Petercccccc » 16 Dec 2006 20:51

RoyalBlue
Petercccccc From what i know he scored one truly amazing goal, but no video evidence to prove it, and was a drunken voilent yob. Could be completely wrong though.

You are very wrong about his footballing talents and probably wrong about the violent bit. There are plenty of witnesses to the truly spectacular goal, including myself and a world class referee, and he scored plenty of other brilliant goals as well.

I used the wrong choice of words i think.

I wasn't doubting the fact he scored a peach of a goal i just meant no one will ever get to see how great it actually was.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 16 Dec 2006 20:54

Joe 90 I was fortunate to have seem Robin Friday play many times. It wasn't just about the Tranmere goal although that was the best ever. He tackled extremely well and with an amazing "hooking" technique that I had not seen before or since. He wore his heart on his sleeve and for his time with Reading that mean that he gave loads for the club on the pitch. I've seen him kicked all over the place and yet he got up and played on. He didn't dive either.

He was impulsive, yes, but he was such a character, he'd have the ground laughing with him. When he played, the atmosphere in the ground was electric, no one knew what he would do next. Yes, he'd make it into the Reading team today, I'd play him behind Doyle or Kitson without hesitation.

We loved him because he was one of us, he was ours, and he lived our dreams for 90 minutes on most weekends. Imagine the energy of James Harper, the tackling of Steve Sidwell, the dribbling skills of Stephen Hunt and the strike rate of Kitson/Doyle all in one player.

That was Robin Friday

I'm not so sure that's the best analogy for dribbling skills. Glen Little would have been a better choice I think!

184 posts