Robin Friday

184 posts
MC ROYAL

by MC ROYAL » 18 Dec 2006 03:23

Never seen him play, so can't comment on his ability, but someone like Murty will always be more legendary for the length of time he has spent here and the things he has achieved.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Dec 2006 09:01

MC ROYAL Never seen him play, so can't comment on his ability, but someone like Murty will always be more legendary for the length of time he has spent here and the things he has achieved.
Legendary but not iconic.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Dec 2006 09:58

The fact that we're still talking about him now surely really says it all.

Bloke who reffed the Tranmere game, Clive Thomas(?), said that in all the games he'd reffed, that was the best goal he'd seen.

Apparently, he said as such to Friday. Who duly replied that he should come here every week ...

Gordon Cumming's right ho

by Gordon Cumming's right ho » 18 Dec 2006 10:03

I share the Spizz 80 sentiment. As a youngster alongside SWLR, I saw the Man That Would Be God play many of his games in the Hoops but I only wish I knew then what I know now... you only ever see a player like him twice in a lifetime.

Georgie Best or Robin Friday? Very, very close call. He was that good.

[/quote]

Reading Abbey

Re: Robin Friday

by Reading Abbey » 18 Dec 2006 10:06

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo Mentioned often around these boards, and by the looks rightly so. A legend at Reading.

Being one who is more young than old, I wasn't lucky enough to see him in action or know how he played. Just wondering, what did actually make THE Robin Friday so special? Is he comparable to the current Reading forwards? How?

The goal in question was so special, even the ref stopped and applauded, and that was along with everyone at the game!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Dec 2006 10:14

Gordon Cumming's right ho Georgie Best or Robin Friday? Very, very close call. He was that good.

Oh, do me a favour!
:lol:
I never saw Friday play so probably shouldn't get involved, but I wonder how good George Best would have looked against Div 4 defenders week in week out.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 18 Dec 2006 10:20

Royal Rother
Gordon Cumming's right ho Georgie Best or Robin Friday? Very, very close call. He was that good.

Oh, do me a favour!
I never saw Friday play so probably shouldn't get involved, but I wonder how good George Best would have looked against Div 4 defenders week in week out.

Best made Division 1 defenders look like Division 4 defenders :lol:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 18 Dec 2006 10:29

Robin Friday is famous for all the wrong reasons.

A very talented footballer who fukked up his career so badly he managed to spend almost all of it playing 4th Division football. His attitude was so bad that nobody wanted to sign him.

I also think if you put any half decent top flight player in a 4th Division team they would probably stand out as much as Robin Friday did.

If i was old enough to have seen him play for Reading i would probably have a bit more respect for him. But as i didnt see him, i don't.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Dec 2006 10:35

Indeed. Remember how David Lee looked as a 20 year old when he came to us on loan from Chelsea about 20 years ago?

Playing as centre half he was our best defender, best midfielder and best attacker. He didn't belong on the same planet as the crap we had out on the pitch in that season.

And David Lee wasn't in the same solar system as George Best. And we weren't in Div 4.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Dec 2006 16:09

Royal Rother

Oh, do me a favour!

He probably wouldn't have survived against them! That's what made Friday so special. Not only did he have immense talent but he could survive being kicked all around the place and still get up and come back for more. Added to that he could also dish it out himself.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 18 Dec 2006 16:15

i never saw him play but from what i'v heard from family he sounded like a legend.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 18 Dec 2006 16:26

I didn't have the honour of seeing Robin himself either but my dad has told me a few stories.

He was sitting in the corner once and Friday was guarding the ball and he was taunting players asking them to come and try and get it off of him, but they couldn't. It went on to him having four players trying to get it off of him, finally they simply fouled him...

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 18 Dec 2006 16:31

That goal against Tranmere remains one of the finest strikes by a Reading player I have ever not seen. The man is a legend.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Dec 2006 16:44

Maguire That goal against Tranmere remains one of the finest strikes by a Reading player I have ever not seen. The man is a legend.

never saw him play

but the books a great read, one of th ebest football books ever, IMHO

and the bloke sounded great

one story of him pretending to be a copper at a train station in order to confiscate and later use other peoples drugs
fantastic

anR

by anR » 18 Dec 2006 16:54

brendywendy one story of him pretending to be a copper at a train station in order to confiscate and later use other peoples drugs
fantastic

The story out the Sindlesham Mill being called 'the place to be' by all the players was also a favourite. How times have changed! I never did 'the elephant' whilst there though...

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 18 Dec 2006 16:54

URZZ wrote:
I didn't have the honour of seeing Robin himself either but my dad has told me a few stories.

He was sitting in the corner once and Friday was guarding the ball and he was taunting players asking them to come and try and get it off of him, but they couldn't. It went on to him having four players trying to get it off of him, finally they simply fouled him...

I must have been pretty close to your dad that for that game.It was towards the end of the match(Bury possibly) and Robin took the ball down to the corner flag (South bank/Tilehurst end corner).Robin proceeded to flip the ball up on to his knee then head then shoulder back to knee with a defender jostling at him.Robin was smiling and chatting to us kids sitting on the wall as he continued juggling and we of course goaded him on. Then a couple of other defenders came to sort it out but Robin ever the showman just continued fooling about and completely taking the pee of all 3.Unfortunately the inevitable happened and Robins legs were scythed from under him(in what today would be a clear sending off) and a free kick awarded.Robin gave us a backward glancing grin s he picked himself up and got on with it.
Flawed in that he had little or no respect for authority or orthodoxy but genius with a ball at his feet? Absolutely... the very best ever.
Football will never see the like of him again.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Dec 2006 16:59

RoyalBlue
Royal Rother

Oh, do me a favour!

He probably wouldn't have survived against them! That's what made Friday so special. Not only did he have immense talent but he could survive being kicked all around the place and still get up and come back for more. Added to that he could also dish it out himself.

If George Best could cope with the likes of Ron Harris and Norman Hunter, who simply tied to kick him but almost always missed, then he could certainly have coped with lower league defenders.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 18 Dec 2006 17:48

Best and Friday were on a similar planet, no one with any sense would have signed Friday for the then top division, he was a luxury they could ill afford, however I feel sure that if there was more of him on film then much of what we that saw him remember would be backed up and he would be even more famous than he is.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 18 Dec 2006 18:01

The 17 bus wrote:
Best and Friday were on a similar planet, no one with any sense would have signed Friday for the then top division, he was a luxury they could ill afford, however I feel sure that if there was more of him on film then much of what we that saw him remember would be backed up and he would be even more famous than he is.
Your absolutely right.If anyone back there at ye olde elm park had decided to use old 35mm film to record and archive games for posterity there would be some fantastic footage.Sadly this is not the case.
From enquiries I made a few years ago there were some of games in which Friday played recorded by ITN network .I was advised these should still be in dusty archives somewhere or other.My efforts to get anyone to delve into these secret vaults were met with a stoney silence.The truth is out there.Trust no one ! :wink:

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 18 Dec 2006 18:13

Amazing natural balance is what I remember.

Robin Friday could have played at any level that Robin Friday wanted to.

There are many players that have superb skills, but few that have the ability to promote awe and anticipation of what would come next.

184 posts