Hunt or Convey?

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 30 Jan 2007 12:56

Perhaps we could plat Bobby on "Offense" and use Hunty for "Defense".

Oh, and I would give field goals to Bikey from any range up to around 70 yards.

irishroyal81

by irishroyal81 » 30 Jan 2007 15:08

Definately hunty on present form. Also he has just been called up to the full Irish squad after his recent performances : -

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_ ... ew&id=1646

kingthor

by kingthor » 30 Jan 2007 16:14

In 14 games (12 started) Convey has had 4 assists. In 23 games (16 started) Hunt has had 1 assist. You get assists from good crosses. Hunt's cross is not as good as Conveys, or even close, and his insticts to get wide for the cross are not as good. He has played well though, but he is a different sort of winger, and that is not his biggest skill. Convey is faster and better at crossing than Hunt, but he is not as tenacious.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 30 Jan 2007 16:20

Who would have thought at the beginning of the season the topic of this thread would be remotely realistic.

Frankly I'm just ecstatic that SC has a choice.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 30 Jan 2007 16:34

londinium
RobRoyal Convey's the better player and his superior crossing will give us something extra in attack (especially with Kitson now back). However it's not SC's style (nor should it be) to drop a player when they've been performing well, so as others have said, the shirt is currently Hunt's to lose.

I hope and expect Convey to get back in the team eventually, but he'll have to show better form that he did before his injury. Hopefully he can show the same willingness and tenacity as Hunt has so far this season.

Please back up your statement with facts...just because he is a natural winger doesnt mean he can cross... check the stats before spouting junk

Last season Convey got 11 assists, 6 from crosses. Hunt got 6 assists, 5 from crosses. This season, Convey has 4 assists, 3 from crosses. Hunt has one assist.

Unfortunately I can't find the stats for the number of times Hunt has 'crossed' the ball into the South Stand. Can anyone help?

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 Jan 2007 16:44

Hunt.. for now. Only because his peformances have got better in last couple of games. Expect Convey to eventually take back his place though, some point soon.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 30 Jan 2007 16:50

Hunt has surprised me this season. I thought he was here for the ride and likely to leave by January, but he's a key player for us.
Great to have Bobby back, but the shirt is Hunt's and Bobby needs to take his chances and impress.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 30 Jan 2007 17:16

Convey. Hunt is a mediocre player who is enjoying a run of fortunate games. It sums up the average fan that they prefer him to Bobby, it's down to the fact he chases more lost causes and gets stuck in abit more. Give me some flair and someone with the ability to take people on and deliever a cross.

Convey>Hunt.

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 30 Jan 2007 17:19

alad Convey. Hunt is a mediocre player who is enjoying a run of fortunate games. It sums up the average fan that they prefer him to Bobby, it's down to the fact he chases more lost causes and gets stuck in abit more. Give me some flair and someone with the ability to take people on and deliever a cross.

Convey>Hunt.

This might be a fishing trip but I will react anyway. I think that's wrong about the average fan. I would say the average fan prefers Convey (due to his great record last season) but I wouldn't begrudge Hunt his place unless he starts playing badly. He's been at least as effective as Convey in the last few games (if not more so), imho.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 30 Jan 2007 17:33

Hunt has the shirt and it is up to Convey to get it from him ...

I think Hunt should and will start with convey coming on in the latter stages

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 30 Jan 2007 18:04

Hunt's shirt to lose at the moment. I think he's put in some really good performances that have balanced the side rather well despite the lack of crosses. I really don't think defenders like him and aren't sure quite how to handle him which is always useful.

Like others have said, would've been shocked start of the season that we could be having this discussion

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 30 Jan 2007 18:09

Ian royal wrote:
Hunt has the shirt, Convey has to win it back.
Thats the measure of it.What marvellous competition Sir Steve has accrued.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by alad » 30 Jan 2007 18:11

If I was Convey I'd be getting annoyed at seeing a clogger like Hunt starting ahead of me, especially after the way he played Saturday.

Convey just has that something extra, he's capable of doing something special and creating a goal out of nothing.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jan 2007 19:07

Can everyone please stop discussing this now. I've already given you the answer - Hunt.

Thanks.

Upper West?!?

by Upper West?!? » 30 Jan 2007 23:57

Well - it's hard to fault Hunt's performance tonight, and Convey didn't even make the subs bench, so I guess we know where Sir Steve's head is on this.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 31 Jan 2007 00:00

Upper West?!? Well - it's hard to fault Hunt's performance tonight, and Convey didn't even make the subs bench, so I guess we know where Sir Steve's head is on this.

Convey had a reserve game and then another 90 minutes on Saturday, so I don't think it says too much, especially when you consider Kitson dropped to the bench tonight. Hunt had a mixed first half and improved in the second - the shirt's still his for Man City, Convey'll be on the bench.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by alad » 31 Jan 2007 00:02

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Convey will be back in the side sooner rather than later.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 31 Jan 2007 00:03

alad Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Convey will be back in the side sooner rather than later.

Agreed.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Jan 2007 02:59

I was surprised that Convey didn't make tonights bench, but until he does, barring injury (does Royalee's need to get something right this season stretch to kicking Hunty in the shins :roll: ) he has little chance of taking Hunt's shirt.

However, I note with interest that, whilst the Bobster was not involved, the manager still found room for that useless t*sser Jon Oster.......................I trust "sooner rather than later" that selection of these inferior individuals will become a thing of the past.......................Coppell out :evil:

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 31 Jan 2007 05:47

I admit it: I used to say Convey, but Hunt is looking class. When he first came in it seemed he made bad mistakes, today I think he showed off how far he has come.