800k fee agreed for Michael Duberry

287 posts
Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Feb 2007 13:15

Archie's penalty
Huntley & Palmer
Archie's penalty
Maguire It makes me laugh that you lot will pour your verbal vitriol on the likes of Alan Pardew, call him Judas, question his loyalty and so on just because he went to a bigger club than Reading, but on the other hand you embrace a guy who sold his best mate down the river just to save his own skin.

Ideal - if you took the time to read up about the trial in question then you'd see that the prosecution never suggested that there was a racial element to the assault. It was the victim's father irresponsibly playing the race card in a national newspaper which caused the collapse of the initial trial.

Still it was a long time ago - duberry is our player now and we have to give him our support! Welcome Micky Duberry - no matter your past - hope u do a good job for us.

So if Bowyer were to join our ranks as a player in the future, he would receive the full backing of Reading fans? Me thinks not, in fact, I bet there would be absolute uproar on here. Let's face it, Duberry will always be labelled a grass for the rest of his life

So there'll be no support from your end H&P when it comes to Micky Duberry? Oxf*rd hell - he deserves a second chance - Bowyer is the one who deserves to rot in hell for what he's done - Duberry on the other hand was in an absolutely awful position which NOT ONE of us would like to be in - WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE?

My support is not in question, I haven't stated that I will/will not offer him support. That's my own private matter. You still haven't answered my question as to whether your support for Bowyer would be as unrelenting.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Feb 2007 13:30

My only criticism of Duberry would be for his choice of mates.

Sounds like some on here would have kept quiet if Peter Sutcliffe had been their mate!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Feb 2007 13:31

Huntley & Palmer
Archie's penalty
Huntley & Palmer
Archie's penalty
Maguire It makes me laugh that you lot will pour your verbal vitriol on the likes of Alan Pardew, call him Judas, question his loyalty and so on just because he went to a bigger club than Reading, but on the other hand you embrace a guy who sold his best mate down the river just to save his own skin.

Ideal - if you took the time to read up about the trial in question then you'd see that the prosecution never suggested that there was a racial element to the assault. It was the victim's father irresponsibly playing the race card in a national newspaper which caused the collapse of the initial trial.

Still it was a long time ago - duberry is our player now and we have to give him our support! Welcome Micky Duberry - no matter your past - hope u do a good job for us.

So if Bowyer were to join our ranks as a player in the future, he would receive the full backing of Reading fans? Me thinks not, in fact, I bet there would be absolute uproar on here. Let's face it, Duberry will always be labelled a grass for the rest of his life

So there'll be no support from your end H&P when it comes to Micky Duberry? Oxf*rd hell - he deserves a second chance - Bowyer is the one who deserves to rot in hell for what he's done - Duberry on the other hand was in an absolutely awful position which NOT ONE of us would like to be in - WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE?

My support is not in question, I haven't stated that I will/will not offer him support. That's my own private matter. You still haven't answered my question as to whether your support for Bowyer would be as unrelenting.

No I would not give Bowyer my support and I do not believe people should forgive and forget at all costs. I just think that the case of Duberry is worthy of my forgiveness - he was in a very uncomfortble position and made a decision. That decision has come to haunt him and may continue to haunt him but it's not our position to continue the guy's torture. Then again if he's playing crap...

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Feb 2007 13:32

Sounds like double standards to me, especially as Bowyer was cleared of any charges GBH against the man in question.
Last edited by Huntley & Palmer on 01 Feb 2007 13:34, edited 2 times in total.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 01 Feb 2007 13:33

I can't believe these discussions. In Nazi Germany a few Germans had the courage and decency to help save some Jews. To most of us these people are heroes whereas with your mentality you would view them as traitors (or "grasses" in this analogy). Most Reading fans are good people and will support him for the brave and decent thing he did.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Feb 2007 13:34

RoyalBlue My only criticism of Duberry would be for his choice of mates.

Sounds like some on here would have kept quiet if Peter Sutcliffe had been their mate!

You unfortunately can't choose your team mates - bet Duberry wishes Woodgate had called on someone else that night...

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 01 Feb 2007 13:35

It's only double standards if you believe Duberry did something that he needs to be forgiven for.

PS Godwin's Law has just kicked in - thread over.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 01 Feb 2007 13:39

3 veesinarow "In September 1996, three months after Bowyer signed for Leeds, 17 year old A level student Shamsul Mia encountered him on a night out in London. Shamsul, whose family is from Bangladesh, was working part time at McDonald's on the Isle of Dogs when Bowyer and some friends pulled up in a minicab. Shamsul served him a 69p cheeseburger-but Bowyer threw it to the ground and said he wasn't going to eat anything served by a 'f...ing Paki' He demanded another burger and said he wanted to be served by a white person. He launched into a tirade of racist abuse. Bowyer and two friends began hurling chairs at the young waiter and his colleagues, all but one of whom were Asian. Shamsul and another worker had to be treated in hospital. Incredibly, the incident was not treated as a racist attack. Bowyer pleaded guilty to affray and was fined £4,500 by Thames magistrates-just half his week's wages at the time".

"A FORMER girlfriend of Bowyer's, Emma Keeney, says he split up with her when he discovered she had an Asian grandparent. She says that when he found out, Bowyer immediately ended the relationship, claiming he could not risk "a brown baby"."

"THE LIFE of Leeds player Michael Duberry has been ruined by the trial. He said that Woodgate had told him on the night of the attack that they had "just had a fight with some Asians". Within hours of Duberry giving evidence, thugs dressed in balaclavas turned up at his home.
They demanded to know where the "black bastard" was. He has received hate mail and abusive phone calls, including threats to kill him.
Phone operators at Leeds United football club have been reduced to tears by the phone calls. Banners have been seen at matches saying "Death to Duberry"."

I do.

Anyone can make a mistake, just because he made racist comments once doesn't mean he is a racist for life. He was 17, everyone makes foolish comments. Who can honestly say they haven't got p1ssed up and abused a tramp or the like?

The second story is laughable and theres nothing to back it up. Sounds like a bitter ex girlfriend trying to get some revenge and earn a few quid.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Feb 2007 13:47

alad
3 veesinarow "In September 1996, three months after Bowyer signed for Leeds, 17 year old A level student Shamsul Mia encountered him on a night out in London. Shamsul, whose family is from Bangladesh, was working part time at McDonald's on the Isle of Dogs when Bowyer and some friends pulled up in a minicab. Shamsul served him a 69p cheeseburger-but Bowyer threw it to the ground and said he wasn't going to eat anything served by a 'f...ing Paki' He demanded another burger and said he wanted to be served by a white person. He launched into a tirade of racist abuse. Bowyer and two friends began hurling chairs at the young waiter and his colleagues, all but one of whom were Asian. Shamsul and another worker had to be treated in hospital. Incredibly, the incident was not treated as a racist attack. Bowyer pleaded guilty to affray and was fined £4,500 by Thames magistrates-just half his week's wages at the time".

"A FORMER girlfriend of Bowyer's, Emma Keeney, says he split up with her when he discovered she had an Asian grandparent. She says that when he found out, Bowyer immediately ended the relationship, claiming he could not risk "a brown baby"."

"THE LIFE of Leeds player Michael Duberry has been ruined by the trial. He said that Woodgate had told him on the night of the attack that they had "just had a fight with some Asians". Within hours of Duberry giving evidence, thugs dressed in balaclavas turned up at his home.
They demanded to know where the "black bastard" was. He has received hate mail and abusive phone calls, including threats to kill him.
Phone operators at Leeds United football club have been reduced to tears by the phone calls. Banners have been seen at matches saying "Death to Duberry"."

I do.

Anyone can make a mistake, just because he made racist comments once doesn't mean he is a racist for life. He was 17, everyone makes foolish comments. Who can honestly say they haven't got p1ssed up and abused a tramp or the like?

Much as our society has deteriorated, I would still like to think over 50% of those who post on HNA!

Refusing to be served by a 'f...ing Paki' would suggest to me someone with a certain mindset and one that doesn't make a racist comment just once!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 01 Feb 2007 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 01 Feb 2007 13:50

Seal

So you don't think Lee Bowyer is a racist?

Not quite sure what this has to do with Duberry grassing up Jonathon Woodgate.

Oh that's right, nothing.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 01 Feb 2007 13:50

17, loaded and drunk, of course he might say the odd stupid thing. He shouldn't have to be branded a racist for life.

John Terry the England captain was involved in a drunken brawl, abused Americans the day after 9/11 and he has bounced back to lead his country.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 01 Feb 2007 13:53

alad 17, loaded and drunk, of course he might say the odd stupid thing. He shouldn't have to be branded a racist for life.

John Terry the England captain was involved in a drunken brawl, abused Americans the day after 9/11 and he has bounced back to lead his country.

Oh, he's in the Klan too.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 01 Feb 2007 13:54

rotherwick_royal

and your point is???

Duberry told the truth about his mates beating somebody up. You think he was in the wrong not them.

Some people :roll:

I've lied in police interviews and in court to protect my mates over exactly that. It's the basics - why would I sell out my friends to the OB?

Anyway, like PP says, somebody has brought Nazi Germany into the discussion which signals the end to my participation on this topic.

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 01 Feb 2007 13:55

alad

I do.

The second story is laughable and theres nothing to back it up. Sounds like a bitter ex girlfriend trying to get some revenge and earn a few quid.

Me

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Feb 2007 13:58

rotherwick_royal
alad

I do.

Me

And me... and infact everyone I know.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Feb 2007 14:09

Platypuss It's only double standards if you believe Duberry did something that he needs to be forgiven for.

PS Godwin's Law has just kicked in - thread over.

I am going to have to invoke Quirk's Exception I'm afraid. Thread open

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Feb 2007 14:10

2 world wars, 1 world cup
rotherwick_royal
alad

I do.

Me

And me... and infact everyone I know.

Not even if you are short on a bit of spare change, dead handy for a public telephone them. That or a quick song whilst waiting for your cab

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Feb 2007 14:13

very dfficult to forgive Bowyer I'm afraid and why would you want to?

Ollie Kearns is in Buxton
Location: Near the source of the UK's No 1 Natural Mineral Water

by Ollie Kearns is in Buxton » 01 Feb 2007 14:35

By "saving his skin" you mean that he refused to run the risk of being found guilty of Perjury!

Hardly a potential mark of distinction for a public figure involved in a high profile case with unsavoury undertones - I'm sure it would have doubled his tranfer fee value if he had...what a crap agent he must've had!

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 01 Feb 2007 15:39

Huntley & Palmer Sounds like double standards to me, especially as Bowyer was cleared of any charges GBH against the man in question.

And anyone who actually believes he didn't do it (note to Bowyer/Woodgate sympathisers - "not guilty" does not mean they didn't do it) also believes OJ was innocent...whereas Duberry was not on trial for any offence and acted honourably in the eyes of the law, not weasel-like in the eyes of omerta-code followers who believe it is morally better to beat the shit out of someone than to tell someone they witnessed it.

I know who I would prefer to see in the hoops and - here's a big clue - it's not openly racist-for-life Bowyer or more closet-like, but nonetheless bigoted Woodgate.

287 posts