Sonko out for season

Royalupnorth
Location: Is there a time for first communion, a time for East 17?

Re: Sonko out for season

by Royalupnorth » 01 Feb 2007 14:33

Huntley & Palmer
RoyalBlue
Huntley & Palmer
RoyalBlue
Stranded Apologies if already posted but the back page of the EP states today that he is out for the rest of the campaign. News wasn't announced prior to that as the club did not want to falsley inflate the market.

Bad news but at least we have more than adequate cover now. I would expect Duberry to start at Man City.

Beat you to it in the Duberry thread! :wink:

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=200

I think you will find I beat you to the punch on that one way further back in the thread

True, but your's was an educated (and correct) guess, whereas mine was official confirmation from club via BBRB!

H&P, always first with the news from inside RFC :wink:

Ermm.....

23rd January......
Royalupnorth Getting back onto the topic of Sonko's injury, I am slightly concerned by the haste that is happening in getting him sorted.

Purely an educated guess, but an "inconclusive" scan would suggest to me that something has shown up on the scan, but because it is so soon after his injury there is likely to be inflammation around the knee ligaments anyway, and they can't tell if what they are looking at is damaged or not.

If he's undergoing an exploratory operation, then this will almost certainly be an arthroscopy (keyhole job). That means they are looking for something inside the knee, not on the outside, which means we can discount tendon or muscle injury, medial ligament and lateral ligament.
We can therefore assume that we are looking at either an ACL rupture or a cartilage tear. :(

My guess, at the time of injury and further confirmed by the "inconclusive" scan is that he stretched his ACL slightly, but didn't rupture it. This would look inflamed on the scan, but they would be unable to tell if it was ruptured or not because the inflammation would obscure they way the scan looks.

If they do an arthroscopy, this would tell them for sure, but they shouldn't do the surgery straight away, its too soon after the injury, there will be blood inside the joint and it needs to not be as inflamed, otherwise his recovery will be hindered.
They should instead wait a week or so, and then perform the surgery.

In this case, why not wait a week, repeat the scan and only put the poor guy through one operation or maybe even no operation.
Give him the arthroscopy and its guaranteed he will be out for 4 weeks.

Answer: Because, they need to know now, not next week, to see if we need to increase our efforts to get someone in during the transfer window.

No consideration for Sonko at all.
Purely business.

And that, unfortunately, is the state of modern football.

Rant over.

PS.... :evil:

And yesterday......
Royalupnorth
KC Royal Sounds to me like we're getting a bit desperate when I think having signed Bennett and Halford we've now got decent cover in defence.

I with you on this one.
Anyone else find it a bit strange that RFC are still saying they will "wait and see" on Sonko, despite it being a successful cartilage op, which should be a no-brainer 4-6 weeks. Then we start signing virtually a new back four?

Ok so it looks like he may have damaged his ACL more than I initailly thought, but I called it straight away.

H&P always 2nd with the news.

:wink:

BTW, I am gutted to be right.
Good luck Sonko

VOR

by VOR » 01 Feb 2007 15:02

Huntley & Palmer
RoyalBlue
Huntley & Palmer
RoyalBlue
Stranded Apologies if already posted but the back page of the EP states today that he is out for the rest of the campaign. News wasn't announced prior to that as the club did not want to falsley inflate the market.

Bad news but at least we have more than adequate cover now. I would expect Duberry to start at Man City.

I think you will find I beat you to the punch on that one way further back in the thread

True, but your's was an educated (and correct) guess, whereas mine was official confirmation from club via BBRB!

Please you two, get back in your prams and take your toys with you.

Sonko a big loss. Fingers crossed for Duberry - looked promising as a youngster at Chelsea but has never really progressed from there. Still, at least it's happened now, when we're in a comfy league position .

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 01 Feb 2007 15:10

Sonko won't be missed that much, people need to remember his poor reading of the game and marking have cost numerous goals this season.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 01 Feb 2007 15:15

Still recall Gilkseys sympathetic squeal on the 107 commentary when Sonks first went down.He commented something like "sorry everyone I know as a player exactly what he`s done there and its serious".Gilksey sort of swallowed his pride as Sonks was allowed to return to play saying " Im absolutely amazed". Then as we know he collapsed again.
Fearn has been excellent for the Royals but that was not one of his best assessments. Anyway I suspect its all a Warnock inspired Kryptonite attack.
Get well soon Sonks your a diamond.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 01 Feb 2007 15:47

higher Still recall Gilkseys sympathetic squeal on the 107 commentary when Sonks first went down.He commented something like "sorry everyone I know as a player exactly what he`s done there and its serious".Gilksey sort of swallowed his pride as Sonks was allowed to return to play saying " Im absolutely amazed". Then as we know he collapsed again.
Fearn has been excellent for the Royals but that was not one of his best assessments. Anyway I suspect its all a Warnock inspired Kryptonite attack.
Get well soon Sonks your a diamond.

Pretty much the same reaction from Mick Gooding on BBRB. He was amazed that Sonko was able to come back on for those few minutes. I think Fearn will be more assertive in future after this and not let the players dictate to him.

All the best for a speedy recovery Sonko, you will be missed

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 01 Feb 2007 15:53

But at least this way he has plenty of time to recover, and he'll come back next season nice and fresh.

Dubes is a more than adequate replacement!

Can't wait for Saturday.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Feb 2007 16:12

Royalupnorth
[Look at me...]

Ok so it looks like he may have damaged his ACL more than I initailly thought, but I called it straight away.

Good luck Sonko

Well done. Anyone would've thought you're a professional physio

---

But seriously.... terrible news regarding Sonks. But hats off to SC/NH for the way they handled the situation and managed to get a good replacement in without breaking the bank.

Excellent work.

fruits

by fruits » 01 Feb 2007 16:14

Coppelled Streets

But at least this way he has plenty of time to recover, and he'll come back next season nice and fresh.

Dubes is a more than adequate replacement!

Can't wait for Saturday.

Talking to a Leeds fan this morning he did n´t know we had signed Duberry, when I told him the price he could n´t believe it. Reckons he was a donkey at Leeds, interesting to see how he does with us and who is right Sir Steve or the Leeds fan.

fruits

by fruits » 01 Feb 2007 16:17

Hoop Blah The rumours going around last week were that it's six months. That would have him back in action just in time for the end of pre-season.

That might even prove to be a good thing for us as he won't be attracting interest from the likes of Villa, City, Newcastle or Everton who might've tried to nick him off us if he continued the way he was going.

I just hope his knee fully recovers and he gets back to the form he's shown the last 18 months.

6-7 months looks about right, could miss start of next season.

Have we got an e mail address ,where we can send him a get well card.?

Royalupnorth

by Royalupnorth » 01 Feb 2007 16:39

fruits
Hoop Blah The rumours going around last week were that it's six months. That would have him back in action just in time for the end of pre-season.

That might even prove to be a good thing for us as he won't be attracting interest from the likes of Villa, City, Newcastle or Everton who might've tried to nick him off us if he continued the way he was going.

I just hope his knee fully recovers and he gets back to the form he's shown the last 18 months.

6-7 months looks about right, could miss start of next season.

Have we got an e mail address ,where we can send him a get well card.?

Agreed its somewhere between 6-9 months nowadays.
However, he has not had the operation yet. Its 6-9 months from then. Because he had the keyhole cartilage op, they will be unable to do the full reconstruction until 4 weeks after that so add another month onto that.
Should be back between October and December 2007

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 01 Feb 2007 16:53

Royalupnorth
Huntley & Palmer
RoyalBlue
Huntley & Palmer
RoyalBlue

Ermm.....

23rd January......
Royalupnorth Getting back onto the topic of Sonko's injury, I am slightly concerned by the haste that is happening in getting him sorted.

Purely an educated guess, but an "inconclusive" scan would suggest to me that something has shown up on the scan, but because it is so soon after his injury there is likely to be inflammation around the knee ligaments anyway, and they can't tell if what they are looking at is damaged or not.

If he's undergoing an exploratory operation, then this will almost certainly be an arthroscopy (keyhole job). That means they are looking for something inside the knee, not on the outside, which means we can discount tendon or muscle injury, medial ligament and lateral ligament.
We can therefore assume that we are looking at either an ACL rupture or a cartilage tear. :(

My guess, at the time of injury and further confirmed by the "inconclusive" scan is that he stretched his ACL slightly, but didn't rupture it. This would look inflamed on the scan, but they would be unable to tell if it was ruptured or not because the inflammation would obscure they way the scan looks.

If they do an arthroscopy, this would tell them for sure, but they shouldn't do the surgery straight away, its too soon after the injury, there will be blood inside the joint and it needs to not be as inflamed, otherwise his recovery will be hindered.
They should instead wait a week or so, and then perform the surgery.

In this case, why not wait a week, repeat the scan and only put the poor guy through one operation or maybe even no operation.
Give him the arthroscopy and its guaranteed he will be out for 4 weeks.

Answer: Because, they need to know now, not next week, to see if we need to increase our efforts to get someone in during the transfer window.

No consideration for Sonko at all.
Purely business.

And that, unfortunately, is the state of modern football.

Rant over.

PS.... :evil:

And yesterday......
Royalupnorth
KC Royal Sounds to me like we're getting a bit desperate when I think having signed Bennett and Halford we've now got decent cover in defence.

I with you on this one.
Anyone else find it a bit strange that RFC are still saying they will "wait and see" on Sonko, despite it being a successful cartilage op, which should be a no-brainer 4-6 weeks. Then we start signing virtually a new back four?

Good luck Sonko

ShrewsandRoyals I kept out of the "what he has done" bit earlier as I suffered a similar style of injury a few years back.

I got away with an ACL pull, inflamation and needed my knee cap cartilage smoothed off a bit. After having done the original injury I did manage to walk 2 hours to get off a mountain - but I darn well knew I had done the damage, and suspect Sonk's didn't exactly come clean about how bad it was, thinking he would run it off.

Without the strains and stresses of being a footballer I still couldn't kneel down 3 months later.

A few of us are not suprised by this.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 01 Feb 2007 17:02

Anyone else think this could be the end of Sonko at Reading?

Someone will step into his place while he is out and if they do well then Sonko will find it hard to get back into the side, that's even if he makes a decent recovery. He might never be the same player again the team will move forwards without him.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Feb 2007 17:04

I wouldn't write him off yet. He's still young. Always figured he might be gone for the rest of this season, though. Even if he was only going to be out six weeks - as some reports indicated - reckon they may have been tempted to shut him down for the season at that point, regardless. By that time there would only be about 6 or 7 games left on the season anyway, so they may have wanted to give him that time and the off season to rest up and heal to help further ensure he's ready for next season.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 01 Feb 2007 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Feb 2007 17:07

alad Anyone else think this could be the end of Sonko at Reading?

Someone will step into his place while he is out and if they do well then Sonko will find it hard to get back into the side, that's even if he makes a decent recovery. He might never be the same player again the team will move forwards without him.

You can never tell with injuries like that.

But we're missing him already.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 Feb 2007 17:17

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 01 Feb 2007 17:17

:cry:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Feb 2007 17:36

Royalupnorth you didn't answer my question! :wink:

What does our resident sports physio make of this news?

I find it absolutely incredible that Sonko apparently managed to play on, after he first went down, with his cartilage damage and his cruciate ligaments b*ggered up.

Or did one of those happen as a consequence of him deciding/being allowed to play on?

Be interested in your professional view now the full extent of the injury has been declared.

Royalupnorth

by Royalupnorth » 01 Feb 2007 17:49

RoyalBlue Royalupnorth you didn't answer my question! :wink:

I find it absolutely incredible that Sonko apparently managed to play on, after he first went down, with his cartilage damage and his cruciate ligaments b*ggered up.

Or did one of those happen as a consequence of him deciding/being allowed to play on?

Be interested in your professional view now the full extent of the injury has been declared.

Its a rare phenomenon, but I mentioned it as a possibility at the time.
In rare cases a ruptured ACL can cause a spasm in the muscles that stabilise the knee (popliteus and parts of the hamstrings) This can allow people to carry on, until the spasm eases (usually due to fatigue) and the leg gives way.
It is impossible to assess a knee in this state as it would appear normal.
It is also impossible to say whether the cartilage was damaged during the initial injury or the subsequent giving way.

The one thing that shocks me is that if the ACL was healthy (and there is no reason why it shouldn't be) it would have a healthy blood supply. And when you rupture the ligament, you should be able to see swelling immediately as the knee fills with blood.
I have stuck up for the medical team throughout this, but I am amazed at the way the swelling wasn't obviously being managed on the sidelines. With immediate swelling, I would have had his knee in ice when he came back out of the tunnel, and he would have been wearing some form of compression support.
If they missed this - tut tut. If he didn't swell - he had a serious problem with his circulation and had a ticking timebomb in his knee.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Feb 2007 18:02

alad Anyone else think this could be the end of Sonko at Reading?

No.

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 01 Feb 2007 18:33

Royalupnorth
RoyalBlue Royalupnorth you didn't answer my question! :wink:

Its a rare phenomenon, but I mentioned it as a possibility at the time.
In rare cases a ruptured ACL can cause a spasm in the muscles that stabilise the knee (popliteus and parts of the hamstrings) This can allow people to carry on, until the spasm eases (usually due to fatigue) and the leg gives way.
It is impossible to assess a knee in this state as it would appear normal.
It is also impossible to say whether the cartilage was damaged during the initial injury or the subsequent giving way.

The one thing that shocks me is that if the ACL was healthy (and there is no reason why it shouldn't be) it would have a healthy blood supply. And when you rupture the ligament, you should be able to see swelling immediately as the knee fills with blood.
I have stuck up for the medical team throughout this, but I am amazed at the way the swelling wasn't obviously being managed on the sidelines. With immediate swelling, I would have had his knee in ice when he came back out of the tunnel, and he would have been wearing some form of compression support.
If they missed this - tut tut. If he didn't swell - he had a serious problem with his circulation and had a ticking timebomb in his knee.

Would you agree that Sonks must have known that he had done more damage than he let on? Just a stretched ACL is bloomin' painful just to walk on!