Duberry

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Duberry

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2007 12:11

In response to the great lord of the forum hobnob.

Does anyone know details of the signing. I can't be arsed to trawl through the crapy thread already about him.

Do we know how long a contract he has?

Do you think he's temporary cover whilst Sonko is injured, but Bennett and possibly Bikey are the real ones for next season and the future or do you think he's actually here and in the first team plans long term.

I think he's a good signing, should hopefully give that cool head and leadership quality we miss at the back when Murts is out injured thanks to his experience.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Feb 2007 12:12

Contract to the end of next season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2007 12:15

Stranded Contract to the end of next season.

Cheers Stranded. As I suspected then. Chance for him to put himself back in the prem shop window and maybe earn a longer contract here. but not immediately in our long term future.

Best of luck to him. I look forward to seeing whether he walks into the side against City or if Bikey holds his place until Duberry is more up to speed with the club and players. I'm assuming Bennett is not for the first team just yet or we wouldn't have signed Duberry.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Feb 2007 12:21

Yeah, good luck to him too.

He is 100% cover for Sonko, his length of contract will suggest that.
Even so, if he impresses, he could be offered an extension.

That's down to him.

If we were lucky in any respect with Sonko's injury it was that it happened in the Transfer window and we had a chance to act.

From what I hear he is down to earth and was of course Captain of an established Championship side.

I guess he'll be too experienced to be really nervous, but this is a good move for him at this stage of his career and I hope he can become a Reading player that we all rate.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2007 12:23

So Ivar and Bikey, Ivar and Duberry, Ivar and Bennett or Ivar and Sodje for City?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 02 Feb 2007 12:25

Personally, I would still plump for Ivar and Bikey. Duberry has managed one training session with us, possibly another today or tomorrow morning. At least Bikey and Ivar have played together, though obviously Bikey had a bit of a mare.

A1ndy

by A1ndy » 02 Feb 2007 12:26

readingbedding Yeah, good luck to him too.

That's down to him.

If we were lucky in any respect with Sonko's injury it was that it happened in the Transfer window and we had a chance to act.

From what I hear he is down to earth and was of course Captain of an established Championship side.

I guess he'll be too experienced to be really nervous, but this is a good move for him at this stage of his career and I hope he can become a Reading player that we all rate.

He signed a one and a half year deal so we have got him until summer of 2008. I think he will be offered another deal if he proves in that time as good cover for Ivar and Sonks.
Last edited by A1ndy on 02 Feb 2007 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Feb 2007 12:26

Ivar and Duberry.

He's an established centre-back.

Bikey is too raw and inexperienced as a CB, I don't even think he is a CB.

Perhaps Sodje, but I don't think Coppell is 100% sure on Sodje and it's too early for Bennett.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2007 12:27

Huntley & Palmer Personally, I would still plump for Ivar and Bikey. Duberry has managed one training session with us, possibly another today or tomorrow morning. At least Bikey and Ivar have played together, though obviously Bikey had a bit of a mare.

Personally I feel the same way. But I'd be ok with Duberry coming straight in too. He has the experience The others are non starters for me.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Feb 2007 12:28

Ivar and Duberry. He was bought as Sonko is injured, so he'll play and Bikey will revert to the bench or even out of the 16.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Feb 2007 12:28

A1ndy
readingbedding Yeah, good luck to him too.

That's down to him.

He signed a one and a half year deal so we have got him until summer of 2008. Just thought I would clear that one up.

I know, but 1.5 years is still small, he knows why he was brought here, it's up to him to be the No 1 CB at Reading.
If that happens, he'll get an extension.

He was not going to leave Stoke for a 6 month contract.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2007 12:29

Stranded Ivar and Duberry. He was bought as Sonko is injured, so he'll play and Bikey will revert to the bench or even out of the 16.

I'd have thought Bikey would be on the bench at worst as he is so versatile. But then again Halford is as well and cost a lot more.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Feb 2007 12:30

Hedging my bets as to which thread gets locked!!!!!

:D

I think its fairly obvious that Duberry has been bought in to be available immediately to partner Ivar.

Bennett will need to get fit as Cork are in the middle of their close season, but will definately be one for the future.

Depending on how bad Sonks' injury is (ie: if it looks like he will be out for a Year or so) we may well re-visit other central defensive targets in the Summer.

For a guy with his experience and capabilities, and taking into account OUR circumstances as well as the last minute nature of the transfer, £800K is good bit of business.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Feb 2007 12:32

I had to start a new thread as I was key contributor to the old one which got taken over by MORONS.

See other thread for my comments re: Duberry. I have nothing more to add here :wink:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Feb 2007 12:33

Thank you.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 02 Feb 2007 12:48

readingbedding
I hope he can become a Reading player that we all rate.

According to Stoke fans (probably sour grapes ) they're not too upset he's gone.

His distribution is pants!!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Feb 2007 12:50

Gordons Cumming
readingbedding
I hope he can become a Reading player that we all rate.

According to Stoke fans (probably sour grapes ) they're not too upset he's gone.

His distribution is pants!!

Sonko's isn't great either and Bikey's is only good when he has the time to think about it.
Last edited by Stranded on 02 Feb 2007 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 02 Feb 2007 12:50

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 02 Feb 2007 12:50

To be honest, distribution from our defence hasn't been an area we have focused too much on this season. A simple ball into Harps or out to Murts/Shorey has been the order of the day. It's not an area of his game I am too worried about, I just don't want to see him turn like an oil tanker if up against Vassell

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 02 Feb 2007 12:51

Maguire the old one which got taken over by MORONS.

:wink:

Morons?

Where,where?