Do you fancy our chances on Saturday?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Do you fancy our chances on Saturday?

by Tony Le Mesmer » 14 Feb 2007 13:29

BarryWhiteRFC
jm_cooper
Tony Le Mesmer Here's something to consider if you fancy us to pull off a shock at Old Trafford.

over the last 3 seasons there have been over 170 premiership matches where a big 4 team has been at home to a non big 4 team.

The away team has won on just 2 occasions.

:?

that sounds almost unbelievable

which two teams and what is your source?

I'm pretty sure Middlesbrough, Fulham and Blackburn have won at OT in the past 2 and a half seasons.

Anyone confirm?

West Ham won at Highbury last season

Blackburn won at Old Trafford, also last season.

Boro do have a good record at Old trafford, but that goes back before 2004/05.

Doyler

by Doyler » 14 Feb 2007 14:06

Tony Le Mesmer
BarryWhiteRFC
jm_cooper
Tony Le Mesmer Here's something to consider if you fancy us to pull off a shock at Old Trafford.

over the last 3 seasons there have been over 170 premiership matches where a big 4 team has been at home to a non big 4 team.

I'm pretty sure Middlesbrough, Fulham and Blackburn have won at OT in the past 2 and a half seasons.

Anyone confirm?

Was it 4-3 when blackburn beat man u? I thought that was at ewood park, the only sides to beat them at old trafford are arsenal and chelsea.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Feb 2007 14:13

still league bares no relevance to cup as different teams are played and the feel of the game is totally different.

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 14 Feb 2007 14:18

Of course I fancy our chances, things can only get better here, so why not with a 2-1 win against the biggest side in the world.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 14 Feb 2007 14:19

Doyler
Tony Le Mesmer
BarryWhiteRFC
jm_cooper

Anyone confirm?

Was it 4-3 when blackburn beat man u? I thought that was at ewood park, the only sides to beat them at old trafford are arsenal and chelsea.

Blackburn were the only side to do the double over Manchester United last season, so they did also win at OT, 2-1 I believe with MGP getting both? Might of even been 3-1. I'm not 100% sure.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 14 Feb 2007 14:21

My Utd supporting colleagues insist they will pick a strong side. Something about some treble or something...

But it's the cup so anything is possible. We are likely to field an attacking line up if the Birmingham game is anything to go by, but it's our defence I am worried about...

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Feb 2007 14:32

A lot of teams (for league matches) go to Old Trafford with the sole aim of keeping a clean sheet in the aim of getting a point. Its the FA Cup, Reading only know one of playing and that is to win. Anything is possible! :)

Fred Sharpe's Nose

Chances on Saturday

by Fred Sharpe's Nose » 14 Feb 2007 15:28

Yes, I fancy our chances on Saturday.

No, Coppell will not put out a significantly stronger side. Look at his record so far - the man stays true to his course.

But whatever happens, we can't lose. If United win, well, it was just the Cup and it was only our "second string" anyway. We can concentrate on making a strong finish to the season. If Reading draw or win, it's an unbelievable result for our "second string", another proud day for the club, and we're in the quarter-final draw. And the whole thing is on telly for those who can't make it up there.

Let's just enjoy the moment. It could hardly get any better... could it?

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 14 Feb 2007 15:43

BarryWhiteRFC
Doyler
Tony Le Mesmer
BarryWhiteRFC
jm_cooper

Anyone confirm?

Blackburn were the only side to do the double over Manchester United last season, so they did also win at OT, 2-1 I believe with MGP getting both? Might of even been 3-1. I'm not 100% sure.

Burnley went to old trafford in 1901 and beat man utd 7-1 in an FA cup tie!

The bookies are still offering 40/1 on Reading winning the cup outright! Now thats got to be worth a punt!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Chances on Saturday

by Tony Le Mesmer » 14 Feb 2007 15:53

Fred Sharpe's Nose No, Coppell will not put out a significantly stronger side. Look at his record so far - the man stays true to his course.

I think we will play our fringe players, but i would disagree that Coppell stays 'True to his course'.

Coppell stated earlier in the season that we would not be changing our tactics to cope with particular opposition. This backfired against Arsenal and he rightly back tracked and adopted more defensive tatics at Anfield Stamford Br & old Trafford.

I expect us to start with 5 4 1 or 4 5 1 on Saturday.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 14 Feb 2007 19:35

Bet the losing team was Man Utd twice, once to Portsmouth?!...the other... Bolton?

I remember watching Pompy beat utd last season? season before? at the mad stad, no the concorse as it was an early kick off or summin' or replys... 1:0 iifc

we could nick it Saturday, what with ol' Ronaldo wanting to be the biggest paid player in the world, and fingers crossed upsetting a few people... No one plyer can be bigger then the club etc etc...

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 14 Feb 2007 19:46

This is Steve Coppells Reading were talking about.Of course we have a chance.Man United may have their eyes off the ball with their away Champions league match in Lille on Tuesday. For me 7/1 for us to win is good value.
How many times have this team raised eyebrows in the last year? New Wembley here we come :lol:

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 14 Feb 2007 19:54

Of course I fancy our chances, anything is possible this season!

Eaststand Rich

by Eaststand Rich » 14 Feb 2007 19:54

Fringe players? Convey, Kitson, Doyle, Dubery, Halford all need games at present. Can't wait.

FORZA READING

by FORZA READING » 14 Feb 2007 19:56

Scrappy Of course I fancy our chances, things can only get better here, so why not with a 2-1 win against the biggest side in the world.

we're playing Barcelona :shock:

thefruits

by thefruits » 14 Feb 2007 20:07

Eaststand Rich Fringe players? Convey, Kitson, Doyle, Dubery, Halford all need games at present. Can't wait.

surely dubery and halford are cup tied?

Reading_Royal
Location: 25Mar2006 History in the making - RFC in the promised land!

by Reading_Royal » 14 Feb 2007 20:23

Its been my dream to watch Reading at Old Trafford but i couldn't be there in the league. But i've got a ticket for this game. I don't think we'll win, actually i really don't think we have a chance but whenever i say that we win, e.g Villa last sat!

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 14 Feb 2007 23:29

skipper

Bet the losing team was Man Utd twice, once to Portsmouth?!...the other... Bolton?

I remember watching Pompy beat utd last season? season before? at the mad stad, no the concorse as it was an early kick off or summin' or replys... 1:0 iifc

we could nick it Saturday, what with ol' Ronaldo wanting to be the biggest paid player in the world, and fingers crossed upsetting a few people... No one plyer can be bigger then the club etc etc...

The defeats were Man Utd at home to Blackburn and Arsenal at home to West Ham as someone else has already pointed out.

Pompey didn't beat Man Utd last season either, it was the season before at FRATTON PARK.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Feb 2007 09:57

kitson doyle convey seol, Ivar, shorey, DLC

this weakened side malarkey is a trick to lull fergie into a FSOS

we'll tear em to shreds

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Chances on Saturday

by Stranded » 15 Feb 2007 10:05

Tony Le Mesmer
Fred Sharpe's Nose No, Coppell will not put out a significantly stronger side. Look at his record so far - the man stays true to his course.

I think we will play our fringe players, but i would disagree that Coppell stays 'True to his course'.

Coppell stated earlier in the season that we would not be changing our tactics to cope with particular opposition. This backfired against Arsenal and he rightly back tracked and adopted more defensive tatics at Anfield Stamford Br & old Trafford.

I expect us to start with 5 4 1 or 4 5 1 on Saturday.

I don't. For the league game it made sense - for a one off it doesn't. It'll be 442 of that I am pretty certain. Better to go down swinging than try and sneak a draw.