Best / Worst result so far this season?

WTRoyal

Best / Worst result so far this season?

by WTRoyal » 13 Mar 2007 00:33

Was just sat here thinking, and ended up wondering what people on HNA? think is our best result so far of our Premiership campaign?

Seems like a question that could have an easy answer with our 6-0 defeat of West Ham at home BUT is a thrashing of an out-of-form team in a home match a better result for us than, say, our first ever Premiership match where as we all know we came from 2-0 down to win 3-2? Or is it better than holding Man U to a 1-1 draw? How about some of our results on the road, 2-0 win over Man City anyone?

There are so many results that have been good for us I guess I'm trying to look at it in terms of achievement/satisfaction rather than outright points if that makes sense...

Flip side - what has been our worst result? Again, a 4-0 loss at home could be the easy answer - BUT Arsenal would have beaten anyone that day and for my money we've had worse results (though not in terms of goal difference) where we could have expected at least SOMETHING - a certain 2-1 home defeat to Blackburn springs to mind.

I was going to say that this question was really only being posed about our Premiership matches cos I didn't want people's perspective tilted by our recent (and second) 1-1 draw with Man U but actually, what the heck, any Reading results this season are eligible as best/worst contenders...

Apologies if I'm due a dodding; there will always be "best player" and "best goal scored" discussions and or votes & awards, but I've not seen anything regarding our best/worst team performance... and as we know, it's all about the team...
Last edited by WTRoyal on 13 Mar 2007 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Mar 2007 00:38

3-1 home to Spurs....so much hung on that game for players and fans alike

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Mar 2007 00:51

There have been so many it's difficult to say really. If I have to pick one though it would be the Chelsea game on Boxing day. After two sub-standard results against medium teams at home our attitude and determination were amazing.

Was great to get that point!

Worst 3-1 loss to portsmouth - no performance and we just rolled over...

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 13 Mar 2007 00:56

Best:

Reading 6-0 West Ham
Reading 3-1 Spurs
Chelsea 2-2 Reading

Worst:

Reading 0-2 Everton
Reading 1-2 Blackburn
Wigan 1-0 Reading

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 13 Mar 2007 00:58

Pompey away was poor, in fairness they were flying at the time will be a different story this Saturday. West Ham home I know they were pooh but to score 6 goals in the Premiership against anyone was some achievement.

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 13 Mar 2007 07:08

URZZZZZZZZ Best:

Reading 6-0 West Ham
Reading 3-1 Spurs
Chelsea 2-2 Reading

Worst:

Reading 0-2 Everton
Reading 1-2 Blackburn
Wigan 1-0 Reading

spot on there!

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 13 Mar 2007 08:08

URZZZZZZZZ Best:

Reading 6-0 West Ham
Reading 3-1 Spurs
Chelsea 2-2 Reading

Worst:

Reading 0-2 Everton
Reading 1-2 Blackburn
Wigan 1-0 Reading

Can I include 1-1 with Man Utd as one of the best?
And can I also include our 0-0 draw with Watford as one of our worst?

But other than that i agree with you.

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 13 Mar 2007 08:37

I think that the 3-2 Boro, was not only our best performance but the most significant result.

Shortbread

by Shortbread » 13 Mar 2007 08:54

At Boro, it was a different story - as poor as I've seen us first half and an argument for not resting first XI players in Cup games: we weren't at our usual sharp best. Second half was a different story.

3-1 home to Spurs still the best result for me. Came from behind in that game too.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 13 Mar 2007 09:27

Shortbread At Boro, it was a different story - as poor as I've seen us first half and an argument for not resting first XI players in Cup games: we weren't at our usual sharp best. Second half was a different story.

Plus the last 2 minutes of the first-half. Don't forget that!

WSRL

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 13 Mar 2007 09:52

URZZZZZZZZ Best:

Reading 6-0 West Ham
Reading 3-1 Spurs
Chelsea 2-2 Reading

Worst:

Reading 0-2 Everton
Reading 1-2 Blackburn
Wigan 1-0 Reading

Those are fair enough shortlists - now suppose you've got to choose just one from each - which would it be?!

It's interesting to me that people are going for the 3-1 victory over Spurs, because it was the memory of this match as I looked at our season fixtures/results list that raised the original question in my mind - and I actually do think this is a better result (coming from a goal down, then winning not just by one but two clear goals) in terms of what was achieved for the team (and yes for the fans too) than the 6-0 drubbing - though my internal jury's still out as to which result is more satisfying...!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 Mar 2007 10:12

I would say the best result in the history of Reading FC was against the current Premier Champions Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

No contest.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 13 Mar 2007 10:22

Our worst result definitely was the 4-0 defeat at home to Arsenal. I considered that a waste of my money. I expected to see Reading do better than that, but no, they gave them too much room and respect. Poor performance and I don't care who the opposition were.

As for the best result, I think it probably was the 6-0 win over Wet Sham, but I'm gutted to have missed that one. The 3-1 win over Tottenham was a nice result, especially when you consider that Tottenham had beaten Chelsea in their previous game. We were 1-0 down and it didn't look like we would end our losing streak. Then all of a sudden Shorey blasts one in and things look better!

zetterz

by zetterz » 13 Mar 2007 11:07

The 3-2 beating of Boro on our very first game in the premiership-it epitomised the fighting spirit of Reading FC and our journey thru this season since. It was just a great advert for football and Reading FC in particular.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 Mar 2007 11:14

zetterz The 3-2 beating of Boro on our very first game in the premiership-it epitomised the fighting spirit of Reading FC and our journey thru this season since. It was just a great advert for football and Reading FC in particular.

Thankyou very much for that generous vote of confidence. It is much appreciated.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 13 Mar 2007 13:02

1871 Royal
URZZZZZZZZ Best:

Reading 6-0 West Ham
Reading 3-1 Spurs
Chelsea 2-2 Reading

Worst:

Reading 0-2 Everton
Reading 1-2 Blackburn
Wigan 1-0 Reading

Can I include 1-1 with Man Utd as one of the best?
And can I also include our 0-0 draw with Watford as one of our worst?

But other than that i agree with you.

You certainly can.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by URZZZZZZZZ » 13 Mar 2007 13:04

WTRoyal
URZZZZZZZZ Best:

Reading 6-0 West Ham
Reading 3-1 Spurs
Chelsea 2-2 Reading

Worst:

Reading 0-2 Everton
Reading 1-2 Blackburn
Wigan 1-0 Reading

Those are fair enough shortlists - now suppose you've got to choose just one from each - which would it be?!

It's interesting to me that people are going for the 3-1 victory over Spurs, because it was the memory of this match as I looked at our season fixtures/results list that raised the original question in my mind - and I actually do think this is a better result (coming from a goal down, then winning not just by one but two clear goals) in terms of what was achieved for the team (and yes for the fans too) than the 6-0 drubbing - though my internal jury's still out as to which result is more satisfying...!

Also the way we completely outplayed a very strong Spurs team, cracking result and team performance. Id probably pick that one, as West Ham was great but against a poor team, and I didnt go to Chelsea. Worst for me was Blackburn (in a weird way) because we played so well in the first half, then came out the tunnel absolutely shite!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 Mar 2007 13:45

Portsmouth away the worst performance. We were so poor it made my eyes bleed.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 13 Mar 2007 16:23

Royal Fleet I think that the 3-2 Boro, was not only our best performance but the most significant result.

Started us off, was our foundation... players even admitted they went in after the first half with the thought. "It's going to be a long, long season."

We won the game in the end, and that set our confidence sky high and obviously made the players feel worthy of being in the Premier League. If we hadn't of beaten Boro the "It's going to be a long, long season." feeling would of stuck and would of given us a good chance of being relegated.

Reading 1 - 1 Manure
Chelsh*t 2 - 2 Reading
Reading 3 - 1 Spurs
Reading 6 - 0 Wet Sham

(Also extremely good results which I wouldn't of expected at the start of the season I.M.H.O)

LoyalRoyal13

by LoyalRoyal13 » 13 Mar 2007 16:30

Best:

Boro (H)
Spurs (H)
Chelski (A)
Man Utd (H)
Man City (A)

Worst:

Wigan (A)
Blackburn (H)