What's happened to Halford ?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 25 Apr 2007 13:37

TWRoyal It's not a cack "long throw" that some players have where they take a six-mile run up and it's taken on the chest by the first defender...

No, evidence to date is he can throw it into the arms of the opposition keeper from almost anywhere on the pitch.

Useful :wink:

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 25 Apr 2007 15:26

Everybody has obviously got bored with slagging off Bikey, DLC, Seol, Harps, Lita, Duberry, Oster, etc, etc.

Now it's Halford's turn :roll:

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 25 Apr 2007 15:36

Not good enough. Booooooo!

I mean, he's only played a game and a bit.

boooooo

scutterbucket

by scutterbucket » 25 Apr 2007 15:46

Ian Royal
Slinky i've decided that Coppell is a very shrewd man and is keeping him back from the spotlight so that when he's used next season he'll still be a unknown quantity, especially with his throw!

I wish everyone would stop going on about his throw. Long throws are utter utter gash.

Seconded!

They may work in attack to some extent in the lower divisions and they will be good for getting out of trouble in our half but Premiership defenders will mop them up all day long.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 25 Apr 2007 15:49

scutterbucket
Ian Royal
Slinky i've decided that Coppell is a very shrewd man and is keeping him back from the spotlight so that when he's used next season he'll still be a unknown quantity, especially with his throw!

I wish everyone would stop going on about his throw. Long throws are utter utter gash.

Seconded!

They may work in attack to some extent in the lower divisions and they will be good for getting out of trouble in our half but Premiership defenders will mop them up all day long.

Which is why no-one ever scores from corners.

scutterbucket

by scutterbucket » 25 Apr 2007 16:05

A throw doesn't get whipped in at the same speed as a corner, it has to be thrown high, therefore spending more time in the air, allowing the defender or goalkeeper more time to react. Nor can you get any swerve on a throw in.

I'll happily stand corrected if a single goal comes from one of his throws in next year.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 25 Apr 2007 16:08

He's not playing because Sir Steve wants to have a proper look at DLC and decide if he's worth another contract and FWIW I think Halford could end up being Sidwell's replacement next season and I can seem him starting in the middle against Watford

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: What's happened to Halford ?

by Coppelled Streets » 25 Apr 2007 16:26

AbovetheI
Crowthorne Royal Discuss

Not as good as the javelin.

What is that coming out of his nose? :shock:

loyal-royal

Re: What's happened to Halford ?

by loyal-royal » 25 Apr 2007 16:28

Coppelled Streets
AbovetheI
Crowthorne Royal Discuss

Not as good as the javelin.

What is that coming out of his nose? :shock:

:lol:

Skyline

by Skyline » 25 Apr 2007 16:50

scutterbucket A throw doesn't get whipped in at the same speed as a corner, it has to be thrown high, therefore spending more time in the air, allowing the defender or goalkeeper more time to react. Nor can you get any swerve on a throw in.

Seem to remember some of Serioux's (sp) throws for Millwall being pretty bloody fast and flat.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 26 Apr 2007 03:00

Row Z Royal
Only one Trevor Morley I think hes looked good. Potential Sidwell replacement

I didn't know Sidwell was a right-back.

He isn't......................but don't worry, you'll get there in the end.................along with half the East stand.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 26 Apr 2007 04:56

rotherwick_royal Everybody has obviously got bored with slagging off Bikey, DLC, Seol, Harps, Lita, Duberry, Oster, etc, etc.

You underestimate the venom for Seol. I still don't think we have heard the last cries of 'lazy' for him unfortunately.

starbug

by starbug » 26 Apr 2007 08:04

getting back on subject, bare in mind that, as with a lot of Coppell's buys, he didn't actually want to buy him yet but had to as there were too many other clubs sniffing around.

He'll make an impression next year once his fitness is up to our standards.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Apr 2007 09:35

scutterbucket A throw doesn't get whipped in at the same speed as a corner, it has to be thrown high, therefore spending more time in the air, allowing the defender or goalkeeper more time to react. Nor can you get any swerve on a throw in.

I'll happily stand corrected if a single goal comes from one of his throws in next year.

and thats where you are wrong becuase halfords throw is at a much lowere trajectory that normal long throws, so is much more like a corner

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 26 Apr 2007 09:50

Having seen Halford's supposedly phenomenal long throw used in reserve matches I have to say I'm less than optimistic regarding this particular feature. All too often the outcome is interception by the opposition followed by a counter-attack. I'm yet to be convinced it's anything more than a gimmick.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 26 Apr 2007 09:52

shadesrwrf Having seen Halford's supposedly phenomenal long throw used in reserve matches I have to say I'm less than optimistic regarding this particular feature. All too often the outcome is interception by the opposition followed by a counter-attack. I'm yet to be convinced it's anything more than a gimmick.

What it needs is some proper set pieces designed around it, i've yet to see anything like this yet.

What it would be perfect for (especially as he's a right back) would be to get the ball back into the opponents half if under pressure and the ball goes out for a throw in in our favour.

TWRoyal

by TWRoyal » 26 Apr 2007 09:57

scutterbucket
Ian Royal

Seconded!

Which is why John Arne Risse threw more than half his thrown ins long into the box last night in a semi final of the Champions League. :roll: I'm not advocating using it all the time, but used properly - and especially as it is a proper long throw rather than a cack one like Risse's - I'd rather have it if the player is up to scratch in other areas. It would save Sonko coming out of central defence to take throws, for example.

Z-Head
Location: Oh when the red red robin goes bob bob bobing along Shoot the bastard!!!!!!!!

by Z-Head » 26 Apr 2007 10:28

seahawk10
rotherwick_royal Everybody has obviously got bored with slagging off Bikey, DLC, Seol, Harps, Lita, Duberry, Oster, etc, etc.

You underestimate the venom for Seol. I still don't think we have heard the last cries of 'lazy' for him unfortunately.

Fatigue is a REAL thing... hard to believe unless you play pro sport..... Give the guy a break yer! Hes a fast attacking winger in his first season trying to impress.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 26 Apr 2007 14:48

Having once again seen Halford put on a very average display against Arsenal's U18's playing centre mid can we all please put this Halford will play centre mid next season and be better than Sid crap a rest please....

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 26 Apr 2007 16:42

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Having once again seen Halford put on a very average display against Arsenal's U18's playing centre mid can we all please put this Halford will play centre mid next season and be better than Sid crap a rest please....

Completely agree, his isn't mobile enough for CM judging on the few reserve performances he's played there. I'm sure if was a realistic possibility he would of played there at Bolton or home to Fulham.