Contract Rebels

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Contract Rebels

by Forbury Lion » 27 Apr 2007 13:52

It really irritates me when the Evening Post refer to Steve Sidwell as "Contract Rebel Steve Sidwell".

He's under contract and he's honouring it.

Wally Downs and Kevin Dillion are in a similar situation yet I don't hear them being branded as rebels.

When I think of a contract rebel I think of Pierre Van Hooijdonk refusing to play for Nottingham Forest, Nicholas Anelka demanding a move from Arsenal and William Gallas demanding a move to Arsenal. Not a player who may or may not decide to leave on a free transfer at the end of his current contract.

Anyway, Question for today is this:

Have Reading FC ever had a contract rebel or a player who has left that the club wanted desperately to keep?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 27 Apr 2007 14:08

Alan Pardew was a contract rebel.

pieface

by pieface » 27 Apr 2007 14:32

With sidwell it the way he gone about it what has made him a rebel. i feel he has been very sly and been a bit of a t***. I dont normally use that language but this is an occasoin i have to, he been a qaulity player for us but he no better than what murty or harper has been for us.At pre seasoin i wish at Swindon away i had joined some off the sign on chants than sing up for sidwell that day.We do not need players like him at the club we all seen West Ham and what happend to them as a result attitudes like what ginger man has adopted.

Dear Sidwell

Go to a top 5 prem team and have fun playing carling cup matches and reserve matches next seasoin.Just rember big wage can not buy u a starting line up place every week.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Apr 2007 14:37

pieface With sidwell it the way he gone about it what has made him a rebel. i feel he has been very sly and been a bit of a t***. I dont normally use that language but this is an occasoin i have to, he been a qaulity player for us but he no better than what murty or harper has been for us.At pre seasoin i wish at Swindon away i had joined some off the sign on chants than sing up for sidwell that day.We do not need players like him at the club we all seen West Ham and what happend to them as a result attitudes like what ginger man has adopted.

Dear Sidwell

Go to a top 5 prem team and have fun playing carling cup matches and reserve matches next seasoin.Just rember big wage can not buy u a starting line up place every week.

How you can compare the Sidwell situation with West Ham is beyond me.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 27 Apr 2007 14:41

Didn't Shaka Hislop and Scott Taylor force the club to sell them because they wanted to move? I seem to remember Jimmy Quinn was irritated with Shaka's attitude (something to do with him receiving a percentage of the fee?) and I seem to remember rumours of Scott Taylor wanting to move because he couldn't get on with Jimmy Quinn.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Apr 2007 14:49

pieface With sidwell it the way he gone about it what has made him a rebel. i feel he has been very sly and been a bit of a t***. I dont normally use that language but this is an occasoin i have to, he been a qaulity player for us but he no better than what murty or harper has been for us.At pre seasoin i wish at Swindon away i had joined some off the sign on chants than sing up for sidwell that day.We do not need players like him at the club we all seen West Ham and what happend to them as a result attitudes like what ginger man has adopted.

Well I suppose we are all entitled to our opinion. :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2007 14:51

Dear Sidwell

that is garbage. Sidwell has done nothing wrong.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 27 Apr 2007 14:53

Ian Royal

Dear Sidwell

Apart from saying that he has to think about his wife and kid.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Apr 2007 14:53

Sidwell simply wants more money.

Not a rebel.

He's still putting in bags of effort for us and there's no doubting he does love this club and will be sad to leave.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 27 Apr 2007 15:00

Dear Sidwell

Incomprehensible twaddle.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Apr 2007 15:04

SpaceCruiser
Ian Royal

Dear Sidwell

And what is actually wrong with that?

Misplaced yes because of the sums involved but certainly not wrong.

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 27 Apr 2007 15:06

SpaceCruiser
Ian Royal

Dear Sidwell

That statement did change my view of the situation quite a bit...

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 Apr 2007 15:20

Dear Sidwell

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can only laugh at this post............ Its hilarious in its stupidity!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Contract Rebels

by Uke » 27 Apr 2007 15:25

If both parties had signed and agreed the hereto mentioned contract the prior behaviour of one party thereof in attempting to elucidate a higher rate of renumeration in compensation for services rendered on at least a weekly basis has notwithstanding the aforementioned failed to form any substantial breach of contractual obligations.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 Apr 2007 15:29

Sidwell is anything but a contract rebel.

Mcghee rebelled against his contract and so did Pardew. But Sid has honoured it and he has played with great honour and integrity for the Royals.

He will therefore forever be respected by me and the lads that I watch the Royals with whatever he goes on to do after this season. He is a proper RFC legend.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is fickle, stupid and thick.........

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 27 Apr 2007 15:30

Yes, I agree with you Top Flight. However, his comments about his wife and kid still rankles. There are people who would love to be on his wages, let alone the £25K a week Reading are offering.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Apr 2007 15:39

SpaceCruiser Yes, I agree with you Top Flight. However, his comments about his wife and kid still rankles. There are people who would love to be on his wages, let alone the £25K a week Reading are offering.

if i had various other biotech companies, sniffing round and looking to use my bichemistry skills, offering me double what im on now

i would not hesitate to engage them in discussions
that goes if it was doubled from 25 -50 K p/a, or p/w

i may even use these new offers of employment to help convince my management to give me as much, so i wouldnt have to go through th ehassle of changing jobs/location.

i dont know anyone who this does not apply to.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 Apr 2007 15:41

SpaceCruiser Yes, I agree with you Top Flight. However, his comments about his wife and kid still rankles. There are people who would love to be on his wages, let alone the £25K a week Reading are offering.

Yeah, I agree that that particular comment rankles. Doesn't make much sense when you are on thousands every week.

But it doesn't make any difference for me. I judge a person by their actions not their words.

All I know is Sid has a contract until the end of the season and he hasn't asked to leave during his contract, he has given us 100% of his effort and commitment throughout his whole time with the Royals. 1 silly comment shouldn't matter compared to so many brilliant football moments that we have witnessed and enjoyed as a result of Sidwells efforts!

Sidwell = Legend.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Apr 2007 15:42

I like the way fat cat salaries are described in millions per annum by the disgusted press but players salaries are described as thousands per week.

e.g. Paul Dacre = £1.25 million per year = bad fat cat
Sidwell = 25k per week = very reasonable for a part time job

25k per week = £1.3 million per year

(Sheva - nearly 7 million take home per year!)

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 27 Apr 2007 15:58

Dear Sidwell

:D