Geordie Respect

Garrincha

Geordie Respect

by Garrincha » 29 Apr 2007 12:01

Following on from the 'Best & Worst' fans thread this season there is the general consensus that the Newcastle away trip was up there with the best.

Normally I would wallow in defeat no matter what the occasion as it's too great to bare. Having said that the Geordies were outstanding hosts and that was undoubtably the most 'memorable defeat' in the 30 years of following RFC.

Our fans will say they were welcoming particularly after their win but to be fair I honestly think that wouldn't have changed even if we'd had beaten them..

I just hope we don 't resort to our rediculous attempts to slaughter them on Mon night with Sunderland chants and some other's that were sung up there. There's nothing wrong with a bit of banter but I hope we refrain from futile chanting aimed at the most passionate and loyal of football supporter's.

In case you are thinking it I have no Geordie connections whatsoever!!!

Just blue blood...

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Geordie Respect

by RG30 » 29 Apr 2007 12:04

Garrincha passionate and loyal of football supporter's.

Please explain, wouldn't agree with that statement.

Daniella

by Daniella » 29 Apr 2007 12:08

Geordie's are a good laugh in my experience, get a few nasty one's as you do anywhere. One of the better bunch's in the prem though.

Garrincha

by Garrincha » 29 Apr 2007 12:09

Just through previous experience of travelling Newcastle support and the fact that they've hardly had any history of trophies to shout about and they still fill St. James's Park week in week out and follow in droves to away games.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 29 Apr 2007 12:21

Garrincha Just through previous experience of travelling Newcastle support and the fact that they've hardly had any history of trophies to shout about and they still fill St. James's Park week in week out and follow in droves to away games.

...but boo their players at anything other than a victory. I remember from the away game that Babayaro made a mistake (that didn't lead to a goal) and was booed for about 20mins afterwards.

Daniella

by Daniella » 29 Apr 2007 12:24

Good supporters, can't dispute that.

IMO they would be one of the FEW prem sides that if they spent a long time outside the of prem would sitll get big crowds.

The likes of everton, chelsea, villa,etc all mock newcastle for never winning anything, yet in terms of support come nowhere near the class and dignity shown by the geordies, and would get crap crowds if they spent 10 years out of the top flight. Sure enough we'll wind them up on monday as we do every set of away fans, but I have a big respect for them.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 29 Apr 2007 12:25

Garrincha Just blue blood...

:shock: BREATHE SIR. BREATHE!

Garrincha

by Garrincha » 29 Apr 2007 12:34

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo
Garrincha Just blue blood...

:shock: BREATHE SIR. BREATHE!

Err, what's that about...

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 29 Apr 2007 12:42

London Irish have already played Newcastle.

So I've heard.

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 29 Apr 2007 13:12

Skin London Irish have already played Newcastle.

So I've heard.

And beat them. And injured Jonny Wilkinson. Well, he injured himself...

Norfolk and Goode
Location: A smash of glass and a rumble of boots electric train and a ripped up phone booth

by Norfolk and Goode » 29 Apr 2007 13:46

Yes I'm up for a bit of friendy banter too. Hope it stays that way.

Which set of fans are going to start this chant then?

Sidwell is a Geordie Sidwell is a Geordie la la la la la la la la - Could be amusing :wink:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 29 Apr 2007 13:58

I think Citeh fans are also great - an absolute pants season at home (no goals since new year's day) but they still get over 40,000 yesterday against Villa.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 29 Apr 2007 14:05

After the away match a Geordie approached me as I was walking back to my car.I admit to a bit of trepidation as he was built like the proverbial brick sh1t house.
The bloke just wanted to say that Reading played some of the best football he had seen for a number of years and would have "nah trubble hoolin yas own in this league"etc was pretty damning of his own club even though they had won.He invited me to "tha booza" but I declined as "one needed to placate ones misses by arriving home at some half reasonable hour".
Thoroughly decent chap it must be said and im still here to tell the tale.

blue_army1871

by blue_army1871 » 29 Apr 2007 14:38

nivek elyod
Skin London Irish have already played Newcastle.

So I've heard.

And beat them. And injured Jonny Wilkinson. Well, he injured himself...

What did he break his back tying his laces

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 29 Apr 2007 14:55

Garrincha Following on from the 'Best & Worst' fans thread this season there is the general consensus that the Newcastle away trip was up there with the best.

Normally I would wallow in defeat no matter what the occasion as it's too great to bare. Having said that the Geordies were outstanding hosts and that was undoubtably the most 'memorable defeat' in the 30 years of following RFC.

Our fans will say they were welcoming particularly after their win but to be fair I honestly think that wouldn't have changed even if we'd had beaten them..

I just hope we don 't resort to our rediculous attempts to slaughter them on Mon night with Sunderland chants and some other's that were sung up there. There's nothing wrong with a bit of banter but I hope we refrain from futile chanting aimed at the most passionate and loyal of football supporter's.

In case you are thinking it I have no Geordie connections whatsoever!!!

Just blue blood...

completly agree

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 30 Apr 2007 07:22

Agree with most of that, i loved my trip to Newcastle, a great place with very friendly people, i hope we could return the favor

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 30 Apr 2007 09:40

I have a lot of time for any football venue that has topless dancing pre-match in nearly any boozer you walk into around the town

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Apr 2007 15:55

Was out in Crowthorne a short while ago and met a couple of Geordies who'd stopped off their on the way to the match.

Had a quick chat with them before they disappeared into the pub - seemed top blokes. Interested in the football and not interested in banter, abuse, rivalry, whatever.

Full respect to them!

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 30 Apr 2007 16:49

all be it they were good hosts up there but say 9.50 tonight, they have dived in the last minute of the game to win a penalty after we have dominated the game and there fans are really smug about it. are we then going to carry on loving them.. or should we really be concentrating on us instead of the other team?? :?

im all up for a bit of banter but something that annoys me is when we talk up the other team before the game when we should be talking about us. i also hate the applauding other supporters lark which we seemed to pick up this season everytime we sang 'f**k off mourinho'

i just feel we should just concentrate on the players in blue and white.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 30 Apr 2007 17:23

higher Thoroughly decent chap it must be said and im still here to tell the tale.

In Newcastle? What about the wife waiting at home? :shock: