*SUPER STEVE SIDWELL APPRECIATION THREAD*

157 posts
Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 12 May 2007 02:42

Reading_Royal Stand up for Steve Sidwell!

So thats why so many stayed for the lap of honour on Saturday :roll:

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 12 May 2007 08:29

Handsome Man A Reading all-time great. Best central midfielder ever.

His performances all season have provided the energy and forward momentum to our play that has made us compete in every single game. And all in the knowledge that one bad tackle could give him the injury that would stop him getting the multi-million pound contract his agent has spent two years promising him.

I just hope he feels our gratitude.

best central midfielder ever? dream on, Mick Gooding had a better engine, better range of passing and had a quality perm.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 12 May 2007 08:37

Windymiller Sidwell, did well, now he's certain to be on his way,
We think he's off to Chelsea, but we couldn't really say.
He's going, he's gone, he'll play for us no more,
He's cleared out his locker and heading for the door.

I'll wish him all the best, he's done us all proud,
But now he'll be cheered by a brand new crowd.
Good luck Sidders, thanks for all you've done,
I'll never forget your input and all the games we've won.

very impressive

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Sidwell

by paddy20 » 12 May 2007 08:54

Best midfield player we have ever had, arguably the best player ever. Look forward to being proud to see him in an England shirt.

Those people who think we wont miss him next season are living in cloud cuckoo land

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 12 May 2007 09:27

Can't believe some of the twats with negative comments about Sidwell on here. If anybody who begrudges him going thinks that they would turn their back on doubling their wages and lets face it, guarantee Premiership football for the rest of their career (which with all best intentions we can't because we will always face a battle to stay in this division), then they are lying through their teeth.

He's been with RFC for over 4 years, played magnificantly, and is ambitious, so best of luck.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 12 May 2007 10:00

i for one hope he reads this or hears about it....always like good luck messages

dantheloyalroyal

by dantheloyalroyal » 12 May 2007 10:22

Thankyou.

Enjoy Chelsea.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Sidwell

by Woodcote Royal » 12 May 2007 10:41

paddy20 Those people who think we wont miss him next season are living in cloud cuckoo land

In which case, those who think he's got the remotest chance of getting a place in England's midfield ahead of Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick or even Beckham, for that matter (to name just a few who are way better than him) must want to have his babies.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 12 May 2007 11:01

strap Can't agree. He was certainly a good RFC player, and will be remembered with a great deal of affection, but I wouldn't put him in the "great" stakes I'm afraid

He's one of the best players to ever play for the club! Been a key part of a completely unprecedented period of success which has transformed Reading FC forever.

Good luck to him, he's been terrific.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 12 May 2007 11:27

I've got mixed feelings on the bloke to be honest. Whilst I appreciate everything he's done for us, I think he's making the wrong move.

pieface

by pieface » 12 May 2007 11:53

Some great seasoins at Reading Sidwell.Though this man is not a cult hero far from it.Clapping him when he returns is only going to encourage other players to do the same as sidwell knowing they can leave for a free, and play the club around.Well number 13 clap a player who has acted in a poor way to the club this year, off the pitch.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 12 May 2007 12:38

pieface Clapping him when he returns is only going to encourage other players to do the same as sidwell knowing they can leave for a free, and play the club around.

Oh please. :lol:

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 12 May 2007 12:50

Goodbye and good luck to probably the most-overated player in Reading FC's history.

His agent is worth every penny he's paid if he can get him a transfer to Chelsea. TOTALLY STAGGERING

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 May 2007 13:00

DelBoyRodders Goodbye and good luck to probably the most-overated player in Reading FC's history.

His agent is worth every penny he's paid if he can get him a transfer to Chelsea. TOTALLY STAGGERING
I have to agree. And I just can't see Sid playing much first team football there tbh. Still, what does he care!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 May 2007 13:20

Bristol Paul Can't believe some of the twats with negative comments about Sidwell on here. If anybody who begrudges him going thinks that they would turn their back on doubling their wages and lets face it, guarantee Premiership football for the rest of their career (which with all best intentions we can't because we will always face a battle to stay in this division), then they are lying through their teeth.

He's been with RFC for over 4 years, played magnificantly, and is ambitious, so best of luck.

Guarantee Premiership football for the rest of his career? Just how does a move do that?!

He may fail to fit in with another team, his performances may drop off or he may spend all his time in the reserves.

The only thing a move guarantees is obscene money for the duration of his contract (not his fault but that of the likes of Richard Scudamore who now has the cheek to claim that the 'gang of four are 'driven by greed'). Moving to one of the big clubs may improve his chances of remaining in Premiership football (not if he goes to the Toons!) but certainly won't guarantee it.

Nice guy, very good player (but by no means our greatest), professional and committed to the end but probably making a mistake for an extra bit of dosh on top of the not inconsiderable sum he could have got with us.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 12 May 2007 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 12 May 2007 13:22

I think he will sign a new contract and inspire us to European glory next season.

Not.

Good luck to him when he goes. He has been up front and honest about his plans from the start of the season and I hold no grudge against him for that. Although it will be gutting to see him go as he is obviously one of the best midfielders we have ever had.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 12 May 2007 13:38

Sidwell is a Reading legend. Played a huge part in getting us to where we wanted to be, and always wore his heart on his sleeve.

Would love him to realise that for purely footballing reasons he should stay put, but cant see it happening.

Sign on, sign on with a pen in your hand,
cos you'll always be a Royal,
you'll always be a Royal,
Sign on, sign on

Cheers for everything and good luck for the future. (except against us)

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 May 2007 14:17

Press reports say he's not playing tomorrow because he has a medical at Chelsea on Monday. So I'm kind of guessing he's not going to change his mind and stay - but he is going to struggle to keep a regular 1st team place at Chelsea - but like I said, what does he care!

pieface

by pieface » 12 May 2007 14:30

[quote="brighton_royal"]I think he will sign a new contract and inspire us to European glory next season.

Not.

Good luck to him when he goes. He has been [size=18]up front and honest about [/size]his plans from the start of the season and I hold no grudge against him for that. Although it will be gutting to see him go as he is obviously one of the best midfielders we have ever had.[/quote]

Are you stupid how has he been upfront and honest!He said he would sing if 20 thousand pound a week was offerd to him by Reading.If he was honest and upfront he would have put pen to paper when it was offerd.It really does gob smack me that people think he has been honest and upfront.I dont no where this has come from but proberly someone who has not watch the whole sarga unfold.If he said at the beginning the seasoin he was planning on leaving then i would say good luck to him.As he would have been upfront not going through the seasoin pretending he thinking about staying so that he keep people sweet.

157 posts