Leroy out for a while...

mzungu_royal

by mzungu_royal » 08 Aug 2007 15:15

79Royal It's about 3 weeks to the end of the transfer window, so if we are really struggling, I'm sure Coppell will bring in another signing, or possibly a loan.

disagree with the latter. Agree with the former. I believe if there is anything to be in the next 3 weeks, it'll have to be a striker. Hulse and Helguson are good players but as one of you said, Helguson as been bought. Hulse would be a good player to add as he adds extra strength and can score vital goals, (not that he did last season for Utd). For me, perhaps the 2 youngsters are good enough at this level but i'm not sure yet as we haven't seen them play much at this level, (fair enough Long shined in areas last season).

Finally if we were to sign someone like Vassell what would people say on here? Is he a striker or is he an attacking winger like Little. TBH having someone like Vassell would be a great signing and i'd love to have him here. Discuss...

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 08 Aug 2007 15:29

Hulse would be a good player to add as he adds extra strength and can score vital goals, (not that he did last season for Utd).

8 goals, 28 games. Pretty solid total for a team in the lower half.

And he missed the last 8 games.

Another ... 2, 3 goals?

79Royal

by 79Royal » 08 Aug 2007 15:30

Doesn't score much, but he's got pace. I think he's naturally left footed, so can't see him getting a game on the wings. Wouldn't be a bad signing though, in the same way that signing Duberry wasn't a bad signing.

Do you know something we don't?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 08 Aug 2007 15:32

Hoop Blah
Vision I've no doubt we are on the lookout for forwards to improve ( as with all other positions ) the team but not at the prices the current market place is dictating.

Thats the key, pushing the boat out to improve and get better players than we're got, not just accept that we can't and plod along without investing to make us stronger. Having said that I still think a player like Helguson or Hulse gives us something different within the squad. Even if not better than our current players they make the squad better.

Vision Investment in the team also doesn't just come down to a financial nature. It is also about investing time and faith in those on the fringes of the first team.

Totally agree, and hope that Cox and Long can make the grade. Personally, from the performances I've seen from them, I would rather we had better options right now and their development was done at Championship level for a few months or a season. Maybe their time is now though, I hope so.

Vision The one point i don't understand is this "getting away with it last season" comment. We didn't escape relegation by the skin of our teeth, we finished 8th.

I think we were lacking in options and depth upfront, which was pretty clear to see when Seol and Long had to play upfront quite a few times. I think we got away with having a lack of quality up there at times. We finished where we deserved to because of the teams performances and results over the season, but personally I thought, and still think, we got away with not having much upfront at times.

Of course we'll always be on the lookout for players to improve us. Just because we're not entering into the ridiculous price war for certain players at present doesn't mean we're not actively looking.

As i said before though, a side with our resourses can't really expect to have much better calbire than Long and Cox as 4th and 5th choice in any given position.

People keep saying about having to play Seol and Long up front last season but as i seem to recall in the half a dozen or so games that they did start, they both scored , and we won a couple of important matches. Sure it wasn't ideal but my (admittedly hazy ) memory tells me we still picked up enough points in those games to suggest that as 4th and 5th choice it wasn't disastrous. Also seem to remember Long coming off the bench and transforming the side up at Bolton.

Long is an interesting case mind, because its quite clear that Coppell sees a lot more in him that most fans (including myself if i'm honest) do. he's even gone on record as saying he doesn't think a loan spell in the Championship will benefit him as much as being around our first team squad will.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 08 Aug 2007 16:39

Injured in bed, it is quite amusing to be fair... and it seemed to me that Coppell was even amused and in a slight amount of dis-belief when talking about the subject...

I'm not doubting Leroy, it sounds quite painful and nerves can easily be stretched/pulled/detached, whatever... Easily is quite ironic after how Leroy has displayed it but... All the best to him, and may he come back A.S.A.P... I just hope this doesn't daunt over us and give us a harder start to the new season as we would have originally... We coped without Kitson for more than half a season, I just hope we can do the same without Leroy... But then again I suppose we did two seasons ago when he got injured at Burnley.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Aug 2007 16:57

I think we were lacking in options and depth upfront, which was pretty clear to see when Seol and Long had to play upfront quite a few times.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

despite them both being good enough to play in that position on more than one occasion for middle of the road international teams?

Archies Volley

by Archies Volley » 08 Aug 2007 17:38

sorry if this has been posted before but injury update from the OS:

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 94,00.html

says lita has a small tear in his left hip flexor

out for 3 or 4 weeks, maybe shorter, maybe longer!! :shock:

only off crutches yesterday and in more pain than they think he should be - so could be worse than they currently think :cry:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Aug 2007 19:46

URZZ Injured in bed, it is quite amusing to be fair... and it seemed to me that Coppell was even amused and in a slight amount of dis-belief when talking about the subject...

I'm not doubting Leroy, it sounds quite painful and nerves can easily be stretched/pulled/detached, whatever... Easily is quite ironic after how Leroy has displayed it but... All the best to him, and may he come back A.S.A.P... I just hope this doesn't daunt over us and give us a harder start to the new season as we would have originally... We coped without Kitson for more than half a season, I just hope we can do the same without Leroy... But then again I suppose we did two seasons ago when he got injured at Burnley.

Slightly different situation in that we were pretty much promoted by then. Also the standard of opposition is a little different.

We are left with 1 proven Premiership striker. But opportunity knocks for other squad members. They will get the chance because no matter how bad the injury is, we won't bring anyone in.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Aug 2007 19:56

And history shows that we are absolutely right to have faith in whoever comes in for Lita, which is what makes it so great to be Reading supporter at the moment eh?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Aug 2007 19:57

Royal Rother And history shows that we are absolutely right to have faith in whoever comes in for Lita, which is what makes it so great to be Reading supporter at the moment eh?

Indeed. Wasn't complaining, just making the point.

Upper West?!?

by Upper West?!? » 08 Aug 2007 20:10

Don't believe all this stretching in bed nonsense. He was trying to reach the first step of his hummer and did his hip.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 13 Aug 2007 09:45

What really happened , he got into a scrap in the Sports bar below the Sugarlounge in the Butts last wednesday night and ended up in the Royal Berks A&A at 4am on crutches , witness by somebody in the old bill , he was assualted . In trouble again ,which is so silly so close to start of season .

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Aug 2007 09:49

Gunny Fishcake What really happened , he got into a scrap in the Sports bar below the Sugarlounge in the Butts last wednesday night and ended up in the Royal Berks A&A at 4am on crutches , witness by somebody in the old bill , he was assualted . In trouble again ,which is so silly so close to start of season .
Whether that's true or not, if HE was assaulted, why is it his fault. It's the morons who think having a go at professional footballers is fun, who are at fault here.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Aug 2007 09:52

Gunny Fishcake What really happened , he got into a scrap in the Sports bar below the Sugarlounge in the Butts last wednesday night and ended up in the Royal Berks A&A at 4am on crutches , witness by somebody in the old bill , he was assualted . In trouble again ,which is so silly so close to start of season .

Please tell me that's a wind up.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 13 Aug 2007 10:06

IF HE was assualted, how is he in trouble ?

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 13 Aug 2007 10:18

:lol:

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 13 Aug 2007 10:22

Agree as apparently he was assualted , but just wonder if trouble follows poor Lita , let's hope he's better soon , trapped nerve story was weak mind

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Aug 2007 10:29

Gunny Fishcake Agree as apparently he was assualted , but just wonder if trouble follows poor Lita , let's hope he's better soon , trapped nerve story was weak mind
so what injury has he got then?

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 15 Sep 2007 11:11

Leroy's mate "Lethal Bizzle" on Soccer AM this morning insinuating that Leroy got his injury making a bedroom party with a mystery Big Brother contestant. Got to be Charley.