Despondent

185 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 05 Nov 2007 21:39

and Sunderland are losing... (at the moment)

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 05 Nov 2007 22:13

LOL.

We're:

4 points clear (if you include the dire goal difference we have), not playing too great, but still getting a win here and there

Sonko (our main CD - lets be honest) just come back to a low morale team - possibly due to, lets say, not doing to great at the back.

Doyle and Kitson have started scoring, and when we stop leaking goals, we'll be scoring, then, I hope, racking up points.

Lita not doing too great at the moment, so can only improve

We don't have much width, which can only improve with Convey maybe back in the team soon and Little having an operation to cure his injury hopefully, along with hopeful transfers in January.

Centre Mid can only get better.

Steve Coppell is our manager.

WHY'S EVERYONE SAYING WE'RE GOING DOWN AND BACK INTO MEDIOCRITY?!

We're doing just fine.. Unless you're expecting us to be right up there again this season :?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 05 Nov 2007 22:26

Uke and Sunderland are losing... (at the moment)

Lost.

Loving the balanced and reasoned opinion on HNA over the last few days. You guys are a credit to RFC.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Nov 2007 08:24

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe When they say transfer funds are available. They do mean wages to. Coppell and Hammond are not stupid. The Chairman hasn't tricked them into thinking money is there when it isn't. I'm sure they are aware of the relationship between transfers and wages. Coppell had the money for transfers and wages and for reason beyond us all did not spend it. If he doesn't want to sign player on more money for fear of upsetting players, then he's not a good enough man manager. No excuses, Coppell needs to learn how to spend money and spend it well....

But what level wages are available?

Championship wages or PL wages? If the former, it will probably make it exceptionally difficult for SC to bring better players in.

ripleyroyal All I can say after reading all this doom and gloom is this...at least this isn't a Derby County forum! A Derby bus driver jokingly said he wouldn't let me on the bus coz I was wearing my Reading beanie (with pride) "coz we had beaten them the other week"....to which I replyed "I could have any team on my hat and we would have probably beaten you at some point recently!!" There, now I hope that raises the level a bit. Stop being so blo*dy gloomy!

IMO Derby's misfortunes are somewhat of an irrelevance. Like Watford last year they sneaked into the PL through the backdoor and very clearly weren't ready for the elevation to the top level. Their fans were just grateful to get there and I doubt many expected anything other than an exceptionally hard season.

Much of the despondency on this board stems from the fact that we got to the PL in real style, were definitely ready for it and then had a very solid first season, proving it was no fluke. Little wonder then that people are concerned that the club appear at risk of throwing that away through, amongst other things, failing to take adequate steps to strengthen the squad and cover key leavers/injuries over the summer.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 06 Nov 2007 12:15

RoyalBlue But what level wages are available?

Championship wages or PL wages? If the former, it will probably make it exceptionally difficult for SC to bring better players in.

Enough

Whether its fantasy money as stated by agents is irrelevant.

Enough is enough to tempt a player who wants to play Prem footie as opposed to a player who wants to have a Wag and Bling lifestyle.

That's the way it should be FFS

Everyone knows in their own industry who the 'good' payers are and who the 'bad' payers are. Do you ever see either understaffed?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Nov 2007 13:32

The low payers may not be understaffed but what's the quality of the staff like?

Why wouldn't someone who 'just wants to play PL football' go to one of the high payers, rather than a low payer, given the choice?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Nov 2007 14:12

1st team football?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Nov 2007 14:30

dont get too down

cisse and oster are back for the reserves this week, in a really strong squad, of which only bygrave and robson kanu arent 1st teamers

i reckon with cisse in for brynn, and oster out on the right, convey on the left, and doyle back in the middle with kitson just behind, we'll only lose 2-0 to arsenal next week

yay

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 06 Nov 2007 15:01

brendywendy dont get too down

cisse and oster are back for the reserves this week, in a really strong squad, of which only bygrave and robson kanu arent 1st teamers

i reckon with cisse in for brynn, and oster out on the right, convey on the left, and doyle back in the middle with kitson just behind, we'll only lose 2-0 to arsenal next week

yay

:lol: Going so well as well.

goringexile

by goringexile » 06 Nov 2007 15:50

Calm down, calm down. We are the most sensible, well run and realistic club in this division. We are financially sound and the team ethic led by non-typical pros like Murty and Harper embarrasses the remainder. See nurses contributions, intelligent wives, genuine community work from 'brighter than your average bear' players.

Just watch as the Wet Shams and the Boltons (Gary Megson FFS!) and the Fulhams and the Middlesboroughs and the ... oh the list goes on - implode as the season progresses.

We will be fine. Trust the brains in this outfit. There are many. SC, Hammond, Wood-Smith and yes even possibly Madjeski.

The only thing that worries me slightly is that Coppell so clearly doesn't enjoy his job and although I don't want it to be a Shankly - 'more important than life and death' - some appreciation of the privilege of his position and just a hint of relish would be comforting.

Come on Steve it IS only a game of football, but you've got to love it. Haven't you?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 06 Nov 2007 16:18

Interesting that you think Coppell doesn't enjoy it, I think he loves most of it - and that comes across if you listen to him at a forum. He dislikes the media stuff and as that is where most people hear him it probably gives a false image.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Nov 2007 16:26

TBF given Coppell again saying this weekend that he doesn't like his job I can understand people believing him.

Noggin the Nog

by Noggin the Nog » 07 Nov 2007 09:09

A couple of posts have mentioned getting the basics right. Others have spoken about players having the right attitude. For any player in the Premiership being paid more in a week than most of us get in a year, these elements should be taken for granted. Basic mistakes - especially in the penalty area - lead ultimately to goals conceded or goals missed. The ongoing wrong attitude - for example not bothering to track back to help the defence - can cause resentment amongst teammates. Last season we were good on the basics and the attitude was great. It made us hard to play against. This season both have deteriorated and we are an easy touch. Basic mistakes are leading ultimately to more goals conceded and less scored. The inferior attitude leads to demotivation and will also feed the "poor at the basics" issue. I recognise that brilliant play also has a key part to play but 80% of the game is about doing the basics with the right attitude. I always thought SC and his team were especially good at this but have they started to do clever things to find some magical solution that actually doesn't exist? On another note, JM's statement (some time ago I accept, but once said, never forgotten) that the club's available at the right price does give an unsettling message to everyone. He is No1 and Reading - yet he wants out - so what should all the others think?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Nov 2007 09:20

If JM's message is unsettling then why is it unsettling now some years after he first made it clear he would sell due to the cost of running a club in this division?

Individual mistakes occur, that's life, it's minimising them that's important.

Also re: goalscoring, I think we've scored more at this stage of the season than we had last.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 07 Nov 2007 09:36

JM has said the same thing for as long as I can remember, the club has been 'available' since he took over pretty much so don;t think there is any message there. And given that every club in the Prem has been sold, or a target in the last decade we're not out of step with what everyone else goes through.

Agree about getting the basics right, it's a fundamental in life, business, sport and everythingelse that you need to be able to fall back on doing the key things in your field.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 07 Nov 2007 10:45

Behindu Agree about getting the basics right, it's a fundamental in life, business, sport and everythingelse that you need to be able to fall back on doing the key things in your field.

I agree totally with your comment, but that throws up another question for me - what are the basics for a player at Reading FC? Are they the same for every club?

fool

by fool » 07 Nov 2007 11:53

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
weybridgewanderer We didn't deserve to lose?

Since Kitson came back we have 1 tactic, lump the ball up the park for Kitson to flick on

The passing flowing football, ball on the deck,out wide with pace we have played the last two years has gone

we only have one fully-fit winger (albeit with convey nearly there). It's kind of hard to play a game that revolves around wingers when they aren't there.

It's got nothing to do with Kitson - after all we played "the good stuff" in our promotion season when Kitson was a key figure.

This season kind of reminds me a bit of the 2004/5 season, where coppell might have known the style he wanted to play, but didn't have the personnel to play it.

the worrying aspect of that is that in that season, coppell did tend to just plough on doing the same thing with the same players, rather than changing anything. Whether he is being too loyal to certain players, or whether those that could come in just aren't up to the job, remains to be seen.

I think you're spot on with this.

fool

by fool » 07 Nov 2007 11:55

Noggin the Nog A couple of posts have mentioned getting the basics right. Others have spoken about players having the right attitude. For any player in the Premiership being paid more in a week than most of us get in a year, these elements should be taken for granted. Basic mistakes - especially in the penalty area - lead ultimately to goals conceded or goals missed. The ongoing wrong attitude - for example not bothering to track back to help the defence - can cause resentment amongst teammates. Last season we were good on the basics and the attitude was great. It made us hard to play against. This season both have deteriorated and we are an easy touch. Basic mistakes are leading ultimately to more goals conceded and less scored. The inferior attitude leads to demotivation and will also feed the "poor at the basics" issue. I recognise that brilliant play also has a key part to play but 80% of the game is about doing the basics with the right attitude. I always thought SC and his team were especially good at this but have they started to do clever things to find some magical solution that actually doesn't exist? On another note, JM's statement (some time ago I accept, but once said, never forgotten) that the club's available at the right price does give an unsettling message to everyone. He is No1 and Reading - yet he wants out - so what should all the others think?

Was an odd comment to make hardly a motivational tool for any staff with the club.

Normally I would suggest any such talk would be for the board room not mentioned in the public domain.

An big error on his part

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Nov 2007 12:01

fool
Noggin the Nog A couple of posts have mentioned getting the basics right. Others have spoken about players having the right attitude. For any player in the Premiership being paid more in a week than most of us get in a year, these elements should be taken for granted. Basic mistakes - especially in the penalty area - lead ultimately to goals conceded or goals missed. The ongoing wrong attitude - for example not bothering to track back to help the defence - can cause resentment amongst teammates. Last season we were good on the basics and the attitude was great. It made us hard to play against. This season both have deteriorated and we are an easy touch. Basic mistakes are leading ultimately to more goals conceded and less scored. The inferior attitude leads to demotivation and will also feed the "poor at the basics" issue. I recognise that brilliant play also has a key part to play but 80% of the game is about doing the basics with the right attitude. I always thought SC and his team were especially good at this but have they started to do clever things to find some magical solution that actually doesn't exist? On another note, JM's statement (some time ago I accept, but once said, never forgotten) that the club's available at the right price does give an unsettling message to everyone. He is No1 and Reading - yet he wants out - so what should all the others think?

Was an odd comment to make hardly a motivational tool for any staff with the club.

Normally I would suggest any such talk would be for the board room not mentioned in the public domain.

An big error on his part

BUT JM HAS BEEN SAYING THE SAME THING FOR YEARS - EVEN DURING THE LAST TWO SEASONS WHERE WE WON PROMOTION AND FINISHED 8TH! THERE IS NO REASON WHY IT WOULD NOW SUDDENLY HAVE AN EFFECT.

Sorry to shout but people may now note that point!

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 07 Nov 2007 12:29

Stranded
fool

An big error on his part

BUT JM HAS BEEN SAYING THE SAME THING FOR YEARS - EVEN DURING THE LAST TWO SEASONS WHERE WE WON PROMOTION AND FINISHED 8TH! THERE IS NO REASON WHY IT WOULD NOW SUDDENLY HAVE AN EFFECT.

Sorry to shout but people may now note that point!

Good point here. but not a good point regarding our goal scoring record. "Anyone" can score two or three in a game when you're conceding two or three more than that. The other team take their foot off the gas, are more vulnerable as they (over)commit themslves, etc. It's no good "boasting" we scored four when, say, the other team score seven. Remember junior football?

185 posts