Best scenario

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Best scenario

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Apr 2008 08:43

Can't see any obvious threads on this subject so here goes....

Given the remaining games for the four main teams involved in trying to dodge the dreaded drop it would seem that the best possible set of results on Saturday for us would be

Reading win
Bolton don't win
Fulham win

This would mean that on the last day we could only be relegated if we lost at Derby while Fulham won at Portsmoth and Bolton did the same at Chelsea.

I reckon the most likely set of results on Saturday could well be

Reading draw
Bolton win
Fulham win

Which would mean that we'd have to get a better result in our game than Fulham got in theirs and at least match whatever Birmingham did in their game at home to Blackburn.

Being beaten by Spurs will drop us into the bottom three and looking odds on for the drop and I really don't want to even go there....

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Best scenario

by The 17 Bus » 28 Apr 2008 08:51

The bookies must be shitting themselves, I reckon a lot of money went on us going down when it was 8-1 the other week

CentiaRoyal

by CentiaRoyal » 28 Apr 2008 08:54

surely the best scenario would be we win, bolton fail to win and BRUM win... meaning fulham cant catch us and bolton would have to win at chelsea... that is the best scenario!!

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 28 Apr 2008 08:59

why has everyone forgot about Wigan?!?

They are on 36 points and final games are Villa away and Man U at home. I am certain they will not get anthing form those 2.

OK we have a worse goal differnce but they are also still in this fight.

Fulham will beat Brum and draw at Pompey 34 points
Brum lose v Fulham and beat Blackburn 35 points
Bolton D v Sundeland lose at Chelsea 34 points
RFC win at spurs and draw at Derby 37 points (Or with more pressure the other way round)
Wigan Lose both 36 points

Either way I really think that 1 more win will be enough and 4 points will take us above Wigan!!!

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 28 Apr 2008 09:04

Wigan are on 37 points.

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 28 Apr 2008 09:09

:oops:

I'll just get in the cab!!!

Straws and clutching spring to mind!!!!

Anyway 2 wins and we are above Wigan!!!!!!!!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 28 Apr 2008 09:11

Personally, I can't see past a Bolton win next Saturday against a Sunderland side who are already safe from relegation.

As such, I think we need to beat Spurs in order to keep our fate in our own hands - although a draw will suffice so long as Brum don't win at the Cottage.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Apr 2008 09:19

CentiaRoyal surely the best scenario would be we win, bolton fail to win and BRUM win... meaning fulham cant catch us and bolton would have to win at chelsea... that is the best scenario!!

If Brum or Fulham win and we do then the loser of that game can't catch us. Any set of results that get us ahead of Bolton this weekend will all but see us safe. I just don't see them dropping points.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 28 Apr 2008 09:20

CentiaRoyal surely the best scenario would be we win, bolton fail to win and BRUM win... meaning fulham cant catch us and bolton would have to win at chelsea... that is the best scenario!!

good point. But if we do not beat Spurs, then a Fulham win would definitely be better.

Bolton should beat Sunderland (and perhaps be safe), but if they do not, they would become favourites to go down.

Fezza

by Fezza » 28 Apr 2008 09:41

Stranded

If Brum or Fulham win and we do then the loser of that game can't catch us. Any set of results that get us ahead of Bolton this weekend will all but see us safe. I just don't see them dropping points.

I can't agree there, I reckon that Roy Keane isn't one to let his team settle into complacency, I fully expect a mackem win!

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 28 Apr 2008 10:07

The 17 Bus The bookies must be shitting themselves, I reckon a lot of money went on us going down when it was 8-1 the other week

I got £50 on at 9s. Though obviously I hope to lose it.

I can't see us beating Spurs and think even a draw is fanciful. A loss guarantees we'd be in the bottom three going to Derby and relying on Blackburn beating Birmingham and (an FA Cup bound) Portsmouth team beating Fulham.

I think we can rely on Chelsea beating Bolton but that's irrelevant if Sunderland lose to them this weekend.

Our future rests in Makem hands. :shock:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 Apr 2008 10:33

This is all entertaining stuff, but in reality nothing is predictable at this stage of the season.

Some teams will play better than expected on the day, some teams worse. That's what pressure does, and it can affect teams at the top as well as at the bottom.

Also those supposedly with nothing to play for might play better as there is no pressure on them, others might play worse because it doesn't matter as much.

All we can do is hope and let the events unfold.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 28 Apr 2008 10:35

I think Fulham will best Pompey so maybe a draw in the match next week will be more handy?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Apr 2008 10:59

Blue and White Toucan Anyway 2 wins and we are above Wigan!!!!!!!!

2 wins and we don't have to worry about anyone.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 28 Apr 2008 11:30

Its simple

2 wins - we stay up

win and a draw - very likely that we stay up unless Brum win both games and Bolton manage to get 4 points from last two games - dont think both scenarios would happen.

3 points - 50/50 at best - more likely if Fulham beat Brum or they draw. Most likely scenario is down on goal difference.

less than 3 points - relegation pretty certain - unless Bolton manage to lose to Sunderland!

36 is the magic number for most clubs - but given our poor GD then I think 37 is the magic number for us.

Son of Len

by Son of Len » 28 Apr 2008 11:53

I fully expect us to be slated for relegation next week. It will come down to Derby, like it or not. So, best scenario is a win at Derby and that should keep us up.

As long as this mare of a season finishes quickly enough that we're still at 17 when it's over.

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 28 Apr 2008 12:02

Scoring a goal would be a good start.

Two 0-0 draws might still be enough though

silas
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by silas » 28 Apr 2008 12:13

No Hoops Scoring a goal would be a good start.

Two 0-0 draws might still be enough though

It won't. HTH

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 28 Apr 2008 12:29

It's in our hands still. We're playing against teams that have nothing left to play for. We're in a great position.

However, I fully expect us to f*** it up somehow.

Crasher

by Crasher » 28 Apr 2008 12:56

Given our current form i think Relegation is highly likely.
We have been pretty poor more or less all season.

Derby have been sh*te all season long, but i would not want to go to Pride Park needing a result to stay up, as i think they could just as easily turn us over.

In reality we need to beat Spurs this Saturday, and hope some of the other results go our way.