Time to admit it: Were you a plastic?

180 posts
West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Time to admit it: Were you a plastic?

by West Stand Man » 28 May 2008 17:52

To keep going on about Swindon you really do have to be a so-called plastic. Swindon fans, on the whole, couldn't give a damn about Reading. We wear our Royals stuff down here and the only comments I get are supportive ones about how well we've done since we last played against them. Now, mention Oxford or Bristol (either team) and you elicit a different response in the great metroplis of Swindon. Any truly loyal Royal of long standing knows that the only real rivalry was Aldershot - and who really cares about them now!

Antway, back to the main thread. I am a plastic of long standing. Saw my first game in the 60/61 season, been as regular an attender as my career would allow (it is tough going to games when you are in the jungle in Belize or on the plains of Alberta). My children are all plastics too, all have been ST holders (and my daughter still is) but now my sons only go when they can get to the games from university (that is a proper university not Bournemouth, of course). They even manage to get to away games because of their location being better for that.

ps, I always hated Pompey, and after their pathetic capitulation against Fulham I really despise them. I hope they get so embarrassed in Europe and regret ever winning the FA cup! (Fat chance - but I can hope).

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 28 May 2008 19:47

I ran from the Aldershot mob at the Rec in 1971. In my defence I would highight that Frimmers was a big boy and I was only 13.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 May 2008 11:13

West Stand Man To keep going on about Swindon you really do have to be a so-called plastic. Swindon fans, on the whole, couldn't give a damn about Reading. We wear our Royals stuff down here and the only comments I get are supportive ones about how well we've done since we last played against them. Now, mention Oxford or Bristol (either team) and you elicit a different response in the great metroplis of Swindon. Any truly loyal Royal of long standing knows that the only real rivalry was Aldershot - and who really cares about them now!

Who were Swindon's main rivals before 1962?

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 29 May 2008 11:22

Platypuss
West Stand Man To keep going on about Swindon you really do have to be a so-called plastic. Swindon fans, on the whole, couldn't give a damn about Reading. We wear our Royals stuff down here and the only comments I get are supportive ones about how well we've done since we last played against them. Now, mention Oxford or Bristol (either team) and you elicit a different response in the great metroplis of Swindon. Any truly loyal Royal of long standing knows that the only real rivalry was Aldershot - and who really cares about them now!

My recollection of those times is that Swindon were certainly regarded as the main rival by Reading fans, more so than Aldershot, despite the proximity. I can't say for sure whether it was the same for Swindon fans in reverse, but always assumed that it was.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 May 2008 11:24

You need to have a word with WSM then - you're obviously not a truly loyal Royal of long standing. :wink:

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 May 2008 11:26

Those people you spoke to probably don't support Swindon.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

5-Live - Who are you supporting in Euro 2008

by Franchise FC » 30 May 2008 09:01

Sad to say, the BBC managed to find yet another numpty to inteview in this piece this morning.

"I am a Reading season ticket holder and I'll be supporting the Czech Republic because Reading have Marius Matejovsky"

Bloody plastic !!

Laura Norder
Location: my loaction is seccret but it is near wallingford ha ha

by Laura Norder » 30 May 2008 09:24

if i only watch on tv that is a plastic but i do go to the east stand so i am not y25 is the best

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 30 May 2008 09:53

Bri-Nylon

Stay pressed............

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 31 May 2008 18:56

Platypuss

See above, hope that helps.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 31 May 2008 18:57

SpaceCruiser

Those people you spoke to probably don't support Swindon.

Probably not. Their season tickets will have been in the Swindon plastics end I suppose.

TheRealRoyal

by TheRealRoyal » 31 May 2008 23:22

Reading Til I Die
pace=forster I've stabbed 16 Swindon Fans in my time. Where does that put me?

Sainthood

clemzzz
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: where ever i lay my hat... or where i ran out of petrol

by clemzzz » 31 May 2008 23:43

i done 17

Row V
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

by Row V » 01 Jun 2008 03:33

I think I must be the biggest plastic fan on HNA? as I only managed the first Prem game and no others since.

Mind you, it does take a 7,000 mile round trip.

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 03 Jun 2008 13:53

Piece in the Sun today.....
Virgin Money survey of Prem teams fans declining to renew their season tickets next season.

We're second to Wet Sham with a wopping 22% loss of Plastics! :shock:
(was anyone here asked?)

"Bigger Club" Pompey just behind losing 21% despite best Prem finish & Cup! :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Jun 2008 14:16

watfordroyal Piece in the Sun today.....
Virgin Money survey of Prem teams fans declining to renew their season tickets next season.

(was anyone here asked?)

"Bigger Club" Pompey just behind losing 21% despite best Prem finish & Cup! :lol:

erm

ive not received my renewal forms yet

am i in that 22%?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 03 Jun 2008 15:25

watfordroyal Piece in the Sun today.....

(was anyone here asked?)

See club policies ... DG rapes that with a broom handle

RG1 Export

by RG1 Export » 03 Jun 2008 17:37

I lived in Swindon through the 90s and I would definitely say that whilst Reading are somewhat considered local rivals - Oxford and the Bristols (particularly Rovers for some reason) are seen to be the real local rivals.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 04 Jun 2008 00:08

Yep, i'm a total plastic! Had barely heard of Reading FC before 2001 before moving to the town. My girlfriend bought me a ticket to watch a game and i've been to most home games since (and the 'local' away games).

As an aside, said girlfriend performed an endoscopy on Mr Mad the week after that game

pace=forster

by pace=forster » 11 Jun 2008 15:00

clemzzz i done 17

But did you Scream 'back the boys and make some noise, cmon URZ' so loudly that one of there heads actually exploded?

Didnt think so :wink:

180 posts