Time to admit it: Were you a plastic?

180 posts
Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

Re: Time to admit it: Were you a plastic?

by Ups and Downs » 14 May 2008 12:20

Brooklyn Royal Am I a plastic? Yes and No. I had never been to Elm Park, but have been supporting Reading since 2000. I have been a STH the last 6 years and will renew next year.

How old are you, mate?

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 14 May 2008 12:22

I've been supporting since 2005, Championship winning season, however I bough my season ticket the summer before (and before that I sorta followed reading anyway..) and seeing as I am alot alot alot younger than most of you lot, I don't think its that bad anyway

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 14 May 2008 12:25

brendywendy why would anyone have got a season ticket before the 1/2 season tickets?apart from the small discount you get
the ground was half empty, you could turn up on the day and get a ticket

Yes, there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding around this. Many people, including myself, had to fork out on a half season ticket at Christmas that year as the true plastics started to come in and ruin the roomy vibe we had going on for years.

Just to clarify: It was perfectly acceptable to buy a 1/2 season ticket that year, but only if you have kept and laminated every single ticket stub from every game single game in the first half of that season. If you bought online, Reading FC may have an electronic record of this. If did buy a 1/2 ST that year; you will be required to provide evidence fo each games attendence. Failure to do so may result in you being branded a lowly Plastic.
Last edited by Ups and Downs on 14 May 2008 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 14 May 2008 12:26

kwik-silva I've been supporting since 2005, Championship winning season, however I bough my season ticket the summer before (and before that I sorta followed reading anyway..) and seeing as I am alot alot alot younger than most of you lot, I don't think its that bad anyway

How old are you? Did you previously suuport a different premiership team?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 May 2008 12:28

Ups and Downs My younger brother has been coming along with me and my Dad since the Elm Park days and I thought he'd be overjoyed to get into the Premiership after all those years of either watching us nearly make it or languishing in the lower leagues. Unfortunately, after our first season in the Top Tier he just lost all interest in going, as he said he really didn't enjoy the games and all the overpaid arsehole players that came with it. A strange and very annoying decision,

I have to say i felt the same way as your brother.

Brooklyn Royal

by Brooklyn Royal » 14 May 2008 12:28

Ups and Downs
Brooklyn Royal Am I a plastic? Yes and No. I had never been to Elm Park, but have been supporting Reading since 2000. I have been a STH the last 6 years and will renew next year.

How old are you, mate?

In my 40s, however in my defends, I'm a yank who has been living in this Country for 13 years

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 14 May 2008 12:29

Ups and Downs
kwik-silva I've been supporting since 2005, Championship winning season, however I bough my season ticket the summer before (and before that I sorta followed reading anyway..) and seeing as I am alot alot alot younger than most of you lot, I don't think its that bad anyway

i'm 13, I was 10 and i supported liverpool before, but I swapped to reading when they were still in the championship because they were my local team!!

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 14 May 2008 12:30

Plastic till I die!
I`m Plastic till I die!
I know I am
I`m sure I am
I`m Plastic till I die!
:lol:

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 14 May 2008 12:35

Brooklyn Royal
Ups and Downs

How old are you, mate?

In my 40s, however in my defends, I'm a yank who has been living in this Country for 13 years

Over 40 and only supporting for the past 6 years would have definitely made you a plastic. Though, i've taken into account into that you're not from around these parts. 13 years in this town and ignoring the team for the first 7 of those isn't great for your cause. However, I've also taken into account that you are American, so the game of football must have seemed strange and alien to you.

My judgement: NOT PLASTIC.

Go in peace.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 14 May 2008 12:37

kwik-silva
Ups and Downs

i'm 13, I was 10 and i supported liverpool before, but I swapped to reading when they were still in the championship because they were my local team!!

And what are your feelings towards Liverpool now? If you wouldn't piss on them if the team bus was on fire: NOT PLASTIC

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 14 May 2008 12:44

I stopped really following reading the season before the Championship; life got in the way. have been to about 10 games a season for the last three years. will probably get an StT this year though.

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 14 May 2008 12:48

Wax Jacket I stopped really following reading the season before the Championship; the Mrs put her foot down. have been to about 10 games a season for the last three years. will probably get an StT this year though.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 May 2008 12:56

Eldest son (11) is a plastic since he's only been twice (Bolton and Fulham home games, mind you).

However, given that we live in an area where the bloody franchisees have been spouting off about getting out of Division 4, he's stood up and been counted in the playground, telling his mates that the Championship is still a league above where they'll be. He's even managed to wind them up by saying that, with SSC in reflective mode and possibly going, we would be able to take Ince from them.

He's already looking forward to next season, expecting me to take him to significantly more games. Given his track record of success, I'm not sure whehter to applaud his committment - or shoot him for being the jinx that sent us down.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 14 May 2008 13:13

Ha ha! I took my daughter to 6 or 7 games last year and we lost every single one of them. It started as a bit of a joke to begin with but towards the end of the season I was in two minds to take her to the Fulham and Spurs games. I did though and we lost. I blame her too.
Last edited by Ups and Downs on 14 May 2008 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 May 2008 13:15

Ups and Downs Ha ha! I took my daughter to 6 or 7 games last year and we lost every single one of them. It started as a bit of a joke to begin with but towards the end of the season I was in two minds to take her to the Fulham and Spurs games. I do though and we lost. I blame her too.

How old is she ? Maybe she could go out with my son while we go to the games ??
:lol: :lol:

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 14 May 2008 13:16

ST holder for about 6-7 years now, dont intend on giving it up.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 14 May 2008 13:19

Franchise FC
Ups and Downs Ha ha! I took my daughter to 6 or 7 games last year and we lost every single one of them. It started as a bit of a joke to begin with but towards the end of the season I was in two minds to take her to the Fulham and Spurs games. I do though and we lost. I blame her too.

How old is she ? Maybe she could go out with my son while we go to the games ??
:lol: :lol:

She'll be 10 this year, mate. Her first game was Ginger Day in 2004 though, so i don't think she'd have anything to do with your plastic son. :wink:

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 14 May 2008 13:22

Sarah Star I freely admit that the first game I ever went to was our FA Cup replay in January. I'd always wanted to go to a football match, but not on my own, and hubby suggested this might be an easy one to get tickets to. Before then I just watched it on tv occasionally and had a vague interest in how Reading and Liverpool (hubby's team) were doing.

That's all changed now. When I don't go to a match I feel miserable and on edge. When I listen to our games on the radio, I feel physically sick when I think a goal is about to be scored either for or against us. I also have no interest in how any other team is doing unless it affects our results. I watch our games repeatedly on the tv. I scan the news for any mention of the team and I try to talk about Reading FC with friends and family, though most of them have no interest in football whatsoever. I love being part of a community that can organise a demonstration of 200+ people in 24 hours and that feels so passionately about the same thing as me. I am completely hooked...and maybe also a little sad, but I want a season ticket next year regardless.

Is your husband from Liverpool? Does he go and watch the Micky Mousers play? If the answers are no and no I suggest you dump him quicker than a ton of hot poo and run away with me.....!

Before being exiled from Reading and in my teens / 20s if I was not watching Reading wherever they were playing home or away, at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon I would be as miserable as sin and resentful of the reason/person that was preventing me from being at the football, I honestly thought of it as my duty to be there. I can fully relate to what you are saying, going to football can be like an addiction and the feeling of community cannot be replicated anywhere else..

Bizzarely I think that the Premier League and Mad Stad are less intimate and there is less a feeling of community than when it was 3,500 at EP, drinking in R&T & Rendezous and seeing the same 200-300 faces at away games, maybe this is why the football drug is not so addictive for me personally, and others by the sound of some of the comments on here, these days, PL or no PL.

Magicman

by Magicman » 14 May 2008 13:24

Ups and Downs
Magicman I think I must be quite plastic as I have only been going for about 6 seasons although the last 3 have all been as a STH. I actually have 2 season tickets now and intend to renew both and continue to take along my plastic friends at there own cost.

The strange thing is we often the only ones left in out row at the end of the game and we sit in the North stand which I thought might be a bit more hard core with 10-20 year fans with season tickets

When will i stop being plastic? I dont want to be plastic forever

Hmmm, North Stand, 6 seasons of regular attendence, 3 year season ticket holder- you're definitely a borderline plastic, but without knowing your age i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say: NOT PLASTIC.

Well done you! Now, just have some kids and multiply the Reading love.

Anyone else whose under any doubts of their plasticity want to be judged?

What a relief not to be plastic anymore thanks for removing that millstone from around my neck.

You are a man amoungst men

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 14 May 2008 17:17

I've been watching Reading since since i was 6 (1986) and the only 2 seasons i've not seen them play are the 2 in the Premiership - mainly down to cost - but now we're back in the Championship im sure i'll start going again, IF the prices drop?!

180 posts