Time to admit it: Were you a plastic?

180 posts
kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Time to admit it: Were you a plastic?

by kwik-silva » 14 May 2008 17:20

Ups and Downs
kwik-silva
Ups and Downs How old are you? Did you previously suuport a different premiership team?

i'm 13, I was 10 and i supported liverpool before, but I swapped to reading when they were still in the championship because they were my local team!!

And what are your feelings towards Liverpool now? If you wouldn't piss on them if the team bus was on fire: NOT PLASTIC

woo, that makes me not plastic :P

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 May 2008 17:26

Anyone else whose under any doubts of their plasticity want to be judged?

yes, judge me , judge me!

i used to go with my mates to elm park for a few years about 5 games a year, finally culminating in the final season there where i went the majority of the home games and the odd away game

my mates stopped going soon after but in the intervening seasons at the madstad i continued to plough a lonely furrow on my own in the east stand-going to between 5-15 games every year

i felt compelled to buy a 1/2 ST in the championship season, as it was no longer going to be possible to walk up on the day and get a seat due to all the plastics

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 14 May 2008 17:30

brendywendy

i used to go with my mates to elm park for a few years about 5 games a year, finally culminating in the final season there where i went the majority of the home games and the odd away game

my mates stopped going soon after but in the intervening seasons at the madstad i continued to plough a lonely furrow on my own in the east stand-going to between 5-15 games every year

i felt compelled to buy a 1/2 ST in the championship season, as it was no longer going to be possible to walk up on the day and get a seat due to all the plastics

That's a glory-hunting trait.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 May 2008 17:32

readingbedding
brendywendy

That's a glory-hunting trait.

after years of going on my own?!
cmon thats gotta count for something

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 14 May 2008 17:53

I guess i am now or although my attendance for the last three year has been poor, mainly cos i moved from Reading some time ago, i have been a supporter since 1978, i still remember games like beating Newcastle at home when fat boy quinn played for them and getting soaking wet walking back from Elm park.

So yes in a word i would be classed as plastic but i will be renewing my ST next season and will be attending most games next season where i can.

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 14 May 2008 17:58

Ups and Downs OK OK, now that we're out of the Premiership, I think the time has come for those people who only became fully paid up Reading fans in the latter half of our promotion season or in the following two years spent in the dizzying heights of the top tier to admit it.

It's OK. There was nothing wrong with it and I'm sure we were all glad to have you filling up those previously empty seats so that the place didn't look half empty on Match Of The Day but, and here's the question, will you be sticking around next year to back the boys in the Championship?

So here's the place to admit it people; were you or was anyone you know a plastic and will you continue to support Reading FC in the Championship?

Anyone who uses the phrase "back the boys" unless in irony and does not vomit when doing so has an element of plastic in them.

No, anyway, to answer your question.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 14 May 2008 18:00

Sir Rodney Effing
Ups and Downs OK OK, now that we're out of the Premiership, I think the time has come for those people who only became fully paid up Reading fans in the latter half of our promotion season or in the following two years spent in the dizzying heights of the top tier to admit it.

It's OK. There was nothing wrong with it and I'm sure we were all glad to have you filling up those previously empty seats so that the place didn't look half empty on Match Of The Day but, and here's the question, will you be sticking around next year to back the boys in the Championship?

So here's the place to admit it people; were you or was anyone you know a plastic and will you continue to support Reading FC in the Championship?

Anyone who uses the phrase "back the boys" unless in irony and does not vomit when doing so has an element of plastic in them.

No, anyway, to answer your question.

LETS BACK THE BOYS AND MAKE SOME NOISE!! CMON URZ!!

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 14 May 2008 18:40

brendywendy

OK, going to the most of the games in the last season at Elm Park works in your favour. We were utterly dump that year and got relegated. But 5-15 games a year in the following seasons is a bit suspect. However, i don't buy into the glory hunting accuisations because we were f*cking dump then as well, so: NOT PLASTIC

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 14 May 2008 18:49

westongeezer I guess i am now or although my attendance for the last three year has been poor, mainly cos i moved from Reading some time ago, i have been a supporter since 1978, i still remember games like beating Newcastle at home when fat boy quinn played for them and getting soaking wet walking back from Elm park.

So yes in a word i would be classed as plastic but i will be renewing my ST next season and will be attending most games next season where i can.

My goodness, there's so many people walking with their head held low because they are consumed by Plastic Guilt. I guess it's been bandied around at all of us so much in the last few seasons that everyone's a suspect. I doubt i could count the times over the last 3 years that I was stood in a pub talking to a fellow RFC fan, thinking; "Is he a plastic? Shit! Maybe he thinks i'm a plastic! I better drop in how long i've been a season ticket holder" and then the conversation always descended into a Who's the biggest Reading fan competition. A bit silly really.

Not being able to get to matches through Geographical complications= NOT PLASTIC

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 14 May 2008 20:11

voyeur
Ups and Downs
voyeur I went to two matches in total during the premiership years. I intend to keep up my loyal support next year. I am no plastic

Hardly going at all in the Premiership is even worse than being a Plastic!!! :wink:

One of them was an away game I will have you know.

you are me.

I saw home and away to Newcastle in our first season and no other Premiership matches at all.

But I missed very few home matches over the period 1975-1990 when I lived in Blighty.

Also did many of the historic aways (Wealdstone, Chesterfiled 7-1, Hereford on Cup train special, etc)

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 14 May 2008 20:20

Mr Optimist
Sarah Star I freely admit that the first game I ever went to was our FA Cup replay in January. I'd always wanted to go to a football match, but not on my own, and hubby suggested this might be an easy one to get tickets to. Before then I just watched it on tv occasionally and had a vague interest in how Reading and Liverpool (hubby's team) were doing.

That's all changed now. When I don't go to a match I feel miserable and on edge. When I listen to our games on the radio, I feel physically sick when I think a goal is about to be scored either for or against us. I also have no interest in how any other team is doing unless it affects our results. I watch our games repeatedly on the tv. I scan the news for any mention of the team and I try to talk about Reading FC with friends and family, though most of them have no interest in football whatsoever. I love being part of a community that can organise a demonstration of 200+ people in 24 hours and that feels so passionately about the same thing as me. I am completely hooked...and maybe also a little sad, but I want a season ticket next year regardless.

Is your husband from Liverpool? Does he go and watch the Micky Mousers play? If the answers are no and no I suggest you dump him quicker than a ton of hot poo and run away with me.....!

Before being exiled from Reading and in my teens / 20s if I was not watching Reading wherever they were playing home or away, at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon I would be as miserable as sin and resentful of the reason/person that was preventing me from being at the football, I honestly thought of it as my duty to be there. I can fully relate to what you are saying, going to football can be like an addiction and the feeling of community cannot be replicated anywhere else..

Bizzarely I think that the Premier League and Mad Stad are less intimate and there is less a feeling of community than when it was 3,500 at EP, drinking in R&T & Rendezous and seeing the same 200-300 faces at away games, maybe this is why the football drug is not so addictive for me personally, and others by the sound of some of the comments on here, these days, PL or no PL.

The answers are no and no. It's more of a family tradition with him as his Dad comes from Liverpool. He also supports Gillingham as that was his childhood local team, which is where my blue and white scarf comes from.

I'm afraid I cannot dump him because he is the loveliest man I know. To prove this, he is planning on buying my first RFC season ticket for my birthday/Christmas present combined even though he says it's 'like buying a drug addict a pound of heroin'. If he hadn't come with me to see Reading play, I would never have come either. Almost everything I know about football comes from him and watching Liverpool on the telly. My family just aren't interested in sport at all.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 May 2008 20:28

My first season ticket was in Division 2 and I've been attending games semi regularly since the later Mark McGhee days.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 14 May 2008 20:41

LUX
Also did many of the historic aways (Wealdstone, Chesterfiled 7-1, Hereford on Cup train special, etc)

Did Wealdstone, Hereford, Wycombe Wanderers at the old ground

RTFC Drummer

by RTFC Drummer » 14 May 2008 21:02

I f you sit in the West, South, middle and corner of north east stand, and the left side of North Stand then you are a PLASTIC FAN.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 14 May 2008 21:06

RTFC Drummer I f you sit in the West, South, middle and corner of north east stand, and the left side of North Stand then you are a PLASTIC FAN.

Which stands at Reading Town are designated for plastic fans?

RTFC Drummer

by RTFC Drummer » 14 May 2008 21:10

earleyroyal
RTFC Drummer I f you sit in the West, South, middle and corner of north east stand, and the left side of North Stand then you are a PLASTIC FAN.

Which stands at Reading Town are designated for plastic fans?

The stand what holds 112 oppsite the dugouts. I am behind the goal with the new stand behind me chanting and drumming no matter what the score is and very very often. Are you thinking of coming to Scours Lane next season?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 14 May 2008 21:19

I was going to go to Scours Lane, then I found out they had a plastic drummer like at the Madstad

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 14 May 2008 21:41

Thats a nice sweeping generalization by a 'gibbon' that obviously doesn't know a thing about football or being a 'proper supporter'.Having a ghey drum does not make you a "proper fan" nor will it bring you any respect from the rest of the football community.Drums do not equal atmosphere and the sooner you realize that the better.Not everyone that sings at away games sits in y25 btw and its not the holy grail you make it out to be.I'm sure there is quite a spread around the ground,but due to the people they sit with they do not always express themselves as vocally as others.I'm sure some people in the west have had a season ticket since the mad stad opened,but in your eyes that plastic?Fair enough you are not a glory hunter though :wink:

Drums at football are GAY

79Royal

by 79Royal » 14 May 2008 22:14

Been a Royal since '84, but it took me four years to get my Dad to take me to my first game. Loved every single minute of those 24 years.

RTFC Drummer

by RTFC Drummer » 14 May 2008 22:19

Royalshow

Thats a nice sweeping generalization by a 'gibbon' that obviously doesn't know a thing about football or being a 'proper supporter'.Having a ghey drum does not make you a "proper fan" nor will it bring you any respect from the rest of the football community.Drums do not equal atmosphere and the sooner you realize that the better.Not everyone that sings at away games sits in y25 btw and its not the holy grail you make it out to be.I'm sure there is quite a spread around the ground,but due to the people they sit with they do not always express themselves as vocally as others.I'm sure some people in the west have had a season ticket since the mad stad opened,but in your eyes that plastic?Fair enough you are not a glory hunter though :wink:

Drums at football are GAY

In response to your comment I know a lot about football as I played for many clubs for example Theale Tigers, Prospect Colts, Churchend Rovers and one game for Reading Youth. I played in goal for both Prospect, Churchend and the one game for Reading Youth and then changed to play on pitch up front for prospect, midfield/striker for Theale and defender for Rovers. When did I say a drum makes you a proper fan? Well never so shhhhhhhhhhhhh. I get respect from the players so your wrong again ha ha. Drums do not equal the atmospher but it helps to create one and gets everyone singing to the beat. Its probably the North and East stand fans who go to away games. I believe when you go and see a footy games you should show the passion and desire to get behind the team and not sit down having a picinic (West Stand). If you are just going to sit down and not sing you might aswell watch the game on the internet, on TV or listen to it on the radio. You need to chant and sing like pompey fans as when visiting teams go there they now they are in for a battle as the crowd never stop chanting.

PS To many plastics at Reading and not enough chanting no matter what the score is.

180 posts