Dolan: 'Academy is a success'...but Gooding's unconvinced

160 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Dolan: 'Academy is a success'...but Gooding's unconvinced

by winchester_royal » 17 Jun 2008 11:28

Archie's penalty This discussion is making me more excited about the new season. Would really like to see Henry, Pearce and Karacan get a chance next year. This time excuses stating that we're in the prem won't cut it!

I think all 3 will get a chance, as well as Golbourne and Sigurdsson.

Also, some seem to forget that Henry has only just turned 19, the way people talk about how he hasn't progressed you'd think he was 23.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 18 Jun 2008 02:42

Wasnt Roonaey a Prem regular at 19, and I seem to recall the same about Giggs too, however both have now burned out due to their young start.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Jun 2008 10:08

The 17 Bus Wasnt Roonaey a Prem regular at 19, and I seem to recall the same about Giggs too, however both have now burned out due to their young start.

if any of our players were anyway near the quality of rooney or giggs, they wouldnt be our players

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 18 Jun 2008 10:19

The 17 Bus Wasnt Roonaey a Prem regular at 19, and I seem to recall the same about Giggs too, however both have now burned out due to their young start.

Giggs has burned out as he is 36! Do you think that Rooney has 'burned out'?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Jun 2008 10:21

But so was Lee Sharpe....

It's horses for courses and the likes of Scholes, Beckham and Butt were all 20 before they started playing for the United first team.

We have to show some patience with the youngster, but at the same time we do have to show same faith in them at some point or they'll never progress. I firmly believe that the lack of 'training on' of our promising youth players is largely down to their lack of exposure to the first team when they're showing good form. They just end up stagnating in the reserves and their careers just peter out tamely before they've even started.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Jun 2008 16:01

That depresses me. That really, really depresses me. Giggs has been playing at the top level for about 17 years!

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 18 Jun 2008 17:05

With Majejovski's injury I wonder if Coppell will take a change on Karacan...

He's got an engine and plays very similar to Sidwell (tackling box to box) and he has been the stand out player at every place he's been loaned to.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Jun 2008 17:11

zac naloen With Majejovski's injury I wonder if Coppell will take a change on Karacan...

He's got an engine and plays very similar to Sidwell (tackling box to box) and he has been the stand out player at every place he's been loaned to.

hope so

i think he and pearce deserve a shot at it

hutch

by hutch » 18 Jun 2008 17:56

I would give Pearce a shot this season before he too gets fed up without a sniff of first team action and ups and leaves for a rival team. I`d have Ingi and Bikey as no 1 centre backs with Pearce and Doobs as cover, and as for Sonko, the less said the better. Also get Hal Robson-Kanu in and around the first team action, he had a good loan spell at Southend at the end of last season, give him the chance to stake a claim when Shorey goes. Give our youngsters a go and prove the academy is a success and not just a waste of time and resources.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 18 Jun 2008 18:00

hutch I would give Pearce a shot this season before he too gets fed up without a sniff of first team action and ups and leaves for a rival team. I`d have Ingi and Bikey as no 1 centre backs with Pearce and Doobs as cover, and as for Sonko, the less said the better. Also get Hal Robson-Kanu in and around the first team action, he had a good loan spell at Southend at the end of last season, give him the chance to stake a claim when Shorey goes. Give our youngsters a go and prove the academy is a success and not just a waste of time and resources.

You want to play him left back? :shock:

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 18 Jun 2008 19:31

The club would definitely be more successful if we did an Ebbsfleet and let the fans pick the team !!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 18 Jun 2008 19:52

hutch I would give Pearce a shot this season before he too gets fed up without a sniff of first team action and ups and leaves for a rival team. I`d have Ingi and Bikey as no 1 centre backs with Pearce and Doobs as cover, and as for Sonko, the less said the better. Also get Hal Robson-Kanu in and around the first team action, he had a good loan spell at Southend at the end of last season, give him the chance to stake a claim when Shorey goes. Give our youngsters a go and prove the academy is a success and not just a waste of time and resources.

Perhaps it is a good job you aren't the manager ?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 19 Jun 2008 08:55

Realistically though, Pearce is the only player close enough. Unlike Henry & Karacan he has genuine experience at Championship level. I know Henry had his move at Norwich but was unable to break in the side, where Pearce has shown he was good enough at Northampton (League 2 level), Bournemouth (League 1 level) and Norwich (Championship level).

I wouldn't rule out our players making loan switches to fellow Championship clubs, they would have to be I suspect the "lower end" clubs like Doncaster, Barnsley.

Interesting no one has mentioned Scott Davies who spent last season on-loan at Aldershot, played an intergral part in them winning the league with his goal contribution from midfield and though his discipline is an area he'll need to work on and learn from.

hutch

by hutch » 19 Jun 2008 16:08

Re Southbank old boy, If its good enough for Gilkes to play left back its good enough for Robson-Kanu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 19 Jun 2008 16:52

Realistically though, Pearce is the only player close enough. Unlike Henry & Karacan he has genuine experience at Championship level.
------

I'd say Karacan is just as close. He's pretty much had a full season under his belt at div 1 and had very good reviews at both clubs. I don;t think stepping up from Div 1 to the Championship should be an issue - not like going from Div 1 to the Prem !

Interesting no one has mentioned Scott Davies
-------
Or Simon Church - plenty of games under his belt at a club that knows a good youngster when it sees one and a place in the Welsh U21 team.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 19 Jun 2008 19:56

Roger the Rabbit Realistically though, Pearce is the only player close enough. Unlike Henry & Karacan he has genuine experience at Championship level.
------

I'd say Karacan is just as close. He's pretty much had a full season under his belt at div 1 and had very good reviews at both clubs. I don;t think stepping up from Div 1 to the Championship should be an issue - not like going from Div 1 to the Prem !

Interesting no one has mentioned Scott Davies
-------
Or Simon Church - plenty of games under his belt at a club that knows a good youngster when it sees one and a place in the Welsh U21 team.

I think that might be getting a little carried away with Church. A dozen games (and one goal) for Crewe and a handful of caps for the Welsh U21 side, which is hardly a strong side, isn't a lot to write home about. I do think he looks a little handy, although he just doesn't have enough about any part of his game to really push on, in my opinion of course.

Karacan impresses me everytime I see him play though. He could be the next Micky Gooding if he can continue to progress.

Kes

by Kes » 19 Jun 2008 20:18

One word - DoLOLan.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 20 Jun 2008 08:12

Kes One word - DoLOLan.

That's three.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 Jun 2008 12:20

Eamonn Dolan is hoping some of his young stars make the breakthrough into the Reading first
team this season.

The Royals Academy has yet to produce a regular in Steve Coppell’s plans, but there are
high hopes it is on the brink of producing youngsters good enough to now challenge.

Nineteen-year-old Alex Pearce and James Henry are two of the leading lights expected to
mount a serious challenge, while Hal Robson Kanu is also not far away.

Oxford-born Pearce enjoyed a hugely successful loan spell with Championship side Norwich
last season and Academy manager Dolan told the Evening Post: “He is a very likable lad and
wise beyond his years and because of that he’s got a good chance.

“Obviously first and foremost you have to be a good player and you have to take your
chance, but he’s strong, good in the air and an exceptional passer of the ball.

“He looks like an ugly centre back but he can pass and he is a leader. When we went abroad
foreign managers raved about him because he is good on the ball.

“The number one thing for a central defender is winning the first header and being strong
and not letting people get in behind you and he has to continue to display these things.

“The great thing about him is he did really well on loan at Northampton, Bournemouth and
then Norwich in difficult circumstances.

“He has passed all his examinations so far. That doesn’t mean everyone will get a degree,
but there is a lot of optimism around him.”

Former Waingels schoolboy Henry is an exciting prospect.

The 18-year-old played a starring role as England Under-19s qualified for the European
Championships this summer.

Dolan said: “He is different to most players we have here. Every club has a certain fill
of player but he is totally different compared to what the Academy has produced.

“He has tremendous self-belief and that can sometimes put him under pressure, but then a
lot of young players have that element to them.

“People forget he missed a whole season with cruciate ligament injury.

“He wants to go from 0-60 in 2.6seconds, but we all know doing it in 10 seconds isn’t bad.

“But he loves his football. He is never a moment’s problem when he’s playing, but when he’s
not he gets frustrated. But he has to keep producing.

“A big challenge lies ahead of him and all the boys but what an opportunity they have and
only time will tell.”

Kes

by Kes » 20 Jun 2008 13:41

papereyes
Kes One word - DoLOLan.

That's three.

DoLOLan.

160 posts