Matejovsky ahead of schedule

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Matejovsky ahead of schedule

by PEARCEY » 14 Jul 2008 21:29

I'd still like to see Matejovsky and Bikey paired in central midfield. Think it would work well....but a lot of people on here are being very optimistic about Marek. What did he do to save us from the drop? Not a lot. Having said that I do think he will show his class if he has fast strikers running into space ahead of him.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Jul 2008 21:33

PEARCEY I'd still like to see Matejovsky and Bikey paired in central midfield. Think it would work well....but a lot of people on here are being very optimistic about Marek. What did he do to save us from the drop? Not a lot. Having said that I do think he will show his class if he has fast strikers running into space ahead of him.

Against slow, clumsy championship players as well remember...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Jul 2008 21:34

PEARCEY I'd still like to see Matejovsky and Bikey paired in central midfield. Think it would work well....but a lot of people on here are being very optimistic about Marek. What did he do to save us from the drop? Not a lot. Having said that I do think he will show his class if he has fast strikers running into space ahead of him.

That, basically. Bikey and Marek together would be like Scholes and Keane, only not as good. 8)

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Jul 2008 21:38

Archie's penalty

LoL Archie...they are not all going to be slow and clumsy.
He needs to impose himself more this season. He has the technical ability but that needs to equate to creativity which didn't happen last season. He needed time to bed in though so lets hope he has now acclimatised and tears the opposition apart.
Many on here will disagree but I think Lita could combine really well with Matejovsky

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Jul 2008 21:42

PEARCEY
Archie's penalty

LoL Archie...they are not all going to be slow and clumsy.
He needs to impose himself more this season. He has the technical ability but that needs to equate to creativity which didn't happen last season. He needed time to bed in though so lets hope he has now acclimatised and tears the opposition apart.
Many on here will disagree but I think Lita could combine really well with Matejovsky

I think people are too down on Cisse. I bet he has a good season next year. He too could play alongside Matejovsky if Harper leaves and allow Bikey to play in defence where he belongs...

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 14 Jul 2008 22:22

Our 4-0 victory at Derby was, understandably, overshadowed by relegation. Many people forget that Matejovsky was given man of the match by many as opposed to any of the goalscorers and that game showed what he can do against Championship opposition. Then, if we go back up, he'll have had a season in English football to adapt and will be ready to show the Premiership what he can do. In my view this season he always looked very neat and didn't give the ball away, but he lacked the cutting edge ball and apart from his screamer at Liverpool we rarely saw a final product. I'm expecting that to change next year, he will be class. I also remember him changing the home game against Spurs when he came on with his composure and passing range, we actually looked like equalizing when he came on.

As for his partner, Harper and Marek are too lightweight together. At the same time I'd regret seeing Harper go, people are critical of him but he is our best finisher at the club and won us 4 points against Wigan and Boro in the last minute, secured the victory against Liverpool and got the ball rolling against Derby. He has been a match winner at times. This provides a dilemma, as I'm convinced that those 2 together will be overrun by any boisterous, physical and competitive midfield pairing, of whom there are plenty in the Championship. I think Cisse could be the answer, I never thought he looked that bad last season, not out of his depth. He had 1 brilliant game against Man Utd (centre back, I admit) and I think he will be perfectly capable of providing a bit of midfield metal in the Championship. Bryn will become a 33 year old sick note as people are all saying, let him go. Bring Karacan to the fringes, from what I read on a Millwall forum he's a useful box to box player. I'd like to see us go for this Bodde guy too, as he sounds like the competitive defensive midfielder we need. It won't happen though, we'll need to sell Harper first if it does, and when we're supposedly holding out for £5mill that won't happen.

We'll have to wait and see what the summer holds in that respect I suppose. If Harper does go I can at least be safe in the knowledge that Coppell can't make the world's lightest midfield pairing any more. My personal choice for next season would be Marek and Cisse, but it's not up to me.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Jul 2008 22:35

rhroyal Our 4-0 victory at Derby was, understandably, overshadowed by relegation. Many people forget that Matejovsky was given man of the match by many as opposed to any of the goalscorers and that game showed what he can do against Championship opposition. Then, if we go back up, he'll have had a season in English football to adapt and will be ready to show the Premiership what he can do. In my view this season he always looked very neat and didn't give the ball away, but he lacked the cutting edge ball and apart from his screamer at Liverpool we rarely saw a final product. I'm expecting that to change next year, he will be class. I also remember him changing the home game against Spurs when he came on with his composure and passing range, we actually looked like equalizing when he came on.

As for his partner, Harper and Marek are too lightweight together. At the same time I'd regret seeing Harper go, people are critical of him but he is our best finisher at the club and won us 4 points against Wigan and Boro in the last minute, secured the victory against Liverpool and got the ball rolling against Derby. He has been a match winner at times. This provides a dilemma, as I'm convinced that those 2 together will be overrun by any boisterous, physical and competitive midfield pairing, of whom there are plenty in the Championship. I think Cisse could be the answer, I never thought he looked that bad last season, not out of his depth. He had 1 brilliant game against Man Utd (centre back, I admit) and I think he will be perfectly capable of providing a bit of midfield metal in the Championship. Bryn will become a 33 year old sick note as people are all saying, let him go. Bring Karacan to the fringes, from what I read on a Millwall forum he's a useful box to box player. I'd like to see us go for this Bodde guy too, as he sounds like the competitive defensive midfielder we need. It won't happen though, we'll need to sell Harper first if it does, and when we're supposedly holding out for £5mill that won't happen.

We'll have to wait and see what the summer holds in that respect I suppose. If Harper does go I can at least be safe in the knowledge that Coppell can't make the world's lightest midfield pairing any more. My personal choice for next season would be Marek and Cisse, but it's not up to me.

I'd definitely let those two (Matejovsky and Cisse) play together for a while to see how they do. My first choice would be to
sign a decent centre midfielder who can tackle but Cisse may fit the bill...

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Jul 2008 22:40

Archie's penalty
rhroyal Our 4-0 victory at Derby was, understandably, overshadowed by relegation. Many people forget that Matejovsky was given man of the match by many as opposed to any of the goalscorers and that game showed what he can do against Championship opposition. Then, if we go back up, he'll have had a season in English football to adapt and will be ready to show the Premiership what he can do. In my view this season he always looked very neat and didn't give the ball away, but he lacked the cutting edge ball and apart from his screamer at Liverpool we rarely saw a final product. I'm expecting that to change next year, he will be class. I also remember him changing the home game against Spurs when he came on with his composure and passing range, we actually looked like equalizing when he came on.

I'd definitely let those two (Matejovsky and Cisse) play together for a while to see how they do. My first choice would be to

Christ, we agree! :shock: :wink:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Jul 2008 23:48

Royalee
Archie's penalty

It had to happen one of these days... :wink:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 15 Jul 2008 08:17

If Harper leaves we have to bring in another midfielder.

If Harper stays we should still bring in another midfielder.

It's a shame but I think that Bryn is a spent force and we shouldn't be planning too much around him being involved this season.

Cisse was a bit too slow and cumbersome for the football in the Premiership but the Championship might suit him a bit more as the pace of the game is slower, at least in the players speed of thought if not speed of foot. He still looked a bit lacking technically though and constantly gave the ball away so it will be interesting to see how he does this season.

A Cisse and Matejovsky pairing maybe enough but I' much rather see Matejovsky paired with a more established midfielder with a little bit more about them than Cisse. Who I don't know at the moment, although Watson would be a great signing, but I do know I don't want to see Bikey forced into a midfield role.

If our squad can't be balanced enough to mean centre halfs play at the back and we play the likes of Bikey and Ivar in midfield then Coppell needs to fall on his sword.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Jul 2008 10:14

Royalee
Archie's penalty

Aye me too.

My main worry with Marek is that he just doesn't suit a rigid English 4-4-2 playing as a central midfielder.

So here's something that no-one will agree with but he may well prove to inadvertently provide a solution as a Right sided midfielder. Not as a right winger of course but playing just off the right. The width down that side could easily be provided by Rosenior who has the speed and stamina to get up and down from full back. It leaves us exposed a bit defensively down that side but i'd expect us to be far more attack minded this season anyway so i don't think thats too much of an issue.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 15 Jul 2008 10:33

Vision Aye me too.

My main worry with Marek is that he just doesn't suit a rigid English 4-4-2 playing as a central midfielder.

So here's something that no-one will agree with but he may well prove to inadvertently provide a solution as a Right sided midfielder. Not as a right winger of course but playing just off the right. The width down that side could easily be provided by Rosenior who has the speed and stamina to get up and down from full back. It leaves us exposed a bit defensively down that side but i'd expect us to be far more attack minded this season anyway so i don't think thats too much of an issue.

I think I suggested he might've been a solution to our right sided problems last year.

I totally agree he might not suit playing in the middle over here.

Pardew decided to go with 3 central players when he didn't think our midfield was strong enough, I can see Coppell coming up with some similar alternative as Matejovsky has yet to really convince me he's the real answer, even though he looks a very very good technically gifted player.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jul 2008 12:01

I've been saying for a couple of months that 3 in the middle with Marek, Harper and a hard nut would be a fantastic combination.

I really can't see Marek coping out on the right, even not as a winger. I feel you just have to cover too much ground constantly there and his fitness levels aren't anywhere near Harper's for example and his pace and acceleration really isn't too hot either.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 15 Jul 2008 13:06

Given the players more likely to stay I would suggest a 3 5 2 formation similar to the 1995 side.
Rosenior and Convey could play as wingbacks and Matejovsky could operate in the Simon Osborn role. Moreover in Ingamarsson and Bikey we have two players who can bring the ball out of defence.

The idea of playing Matejovsky as a rightsider in a narrow 4 4 2 is an interesting one. Caskey scored over 20 goals from that position a few seasons ago.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Jul 2008 13:13

I'd still go for the diamond with Matejovsky in the attacking role and Cisse or a new midfielder in the defensive role. Perhaps we could bring one in with the money from the sale of Harper.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 15 Jul 2008 13:17

Marek could fit in with as narrow right sided midfielder, for sure.

The trouble is that changes the way we play, something with Coppell I don't feel as been too adept at of late. He likes the right midfielder to do a shift, even Blakey (RIP) was back supporting Murty the best he could. Murts was always roasting whoever was in front of him to come back and help out. I'm not sure Matejovsky can be 'burdened' with creative freedom AND be called to do the defensive duty.

What we need is someone who can cover Marek's back, like a Gooding or a Sidwell who have got a good engine but can effectively tackle (hence why I don't mention Harper in this equation.)

If we had a defensive midfielder to sit in front of the back 4 - then with 3 beyond that albeit narrow, this may work. Whether it's given a try or not, I doubt. I don't think 3 at the back is the answer though, wings backs just get caught out by pace and the DC's just get dragged everywhere. Me no like.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Jul 2008 13:56

--------------------------------USA------------------------------------

-------------Pearce--------Ingi------------Doobs--------------------

---Rosenior------------------------------------------------Convey---

-------------------Cisse---------------Bikey--------------------------

-----------------------------Marek------------------------------------

----------------------Lita---------------Doyle------------------------

done.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Jul 2008 13:57

winchester_royal --------------------------------USA------------------------------------

done.

For pace at the back, yes.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 15 Jul 2008 13:58

Ian Royal I've been saying for a couple of months that 3 in the middle with Marek, Harper and a hard nut would be a fantastic combination.

I really can't see Marek coping out on the right, even not as a winger. I feel you just have to cover too much ground constantly there and his fitness levels aren't anywhere near Harper's for example and his pace and acceleration really isn't too hot either.

Did you never see Little play for Reading?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Jul 2008 16:17

Royalee
winchester_royal --------------------------------USA------------------------------------

done.

For pace at the back, yes.

Ingimarsson and Duberry have loads of experience and are very good readers of the game. Things happen a lot slower in the CCC than the PL and I think they will be fine as a pairing.

I am really not sure about Cisse in midfield, but Bikey, yes indeed. If he plays at the back he will be our best defender, but I think he could do a great job in midfield, breaking things up and feeding Marek.

Millwall fans, upon seeing a picture of Karacan when they took him on loan, were gobsmacked, opining that they had signed a weak looking little boy. A few weeks in and they were full of praise for him. Not a bunch easily won over, Karacan did it very quickly and I think there is valid reason to think he can step up a division and have an impact for us.