Stephen Hunt `Prem is place to be' From the RC

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Stephen Hunt `Prem is place to be' From the RC

by readingbedding » 03 Jul 2008 12:08

STEPHEN Hunt’s future has been cast further into doubt following news the Royals winger will not be rejoining his team-mates for the start of pre-season training today (Thursday).

The official line is that Hunt, along with six of his club colleagues, require extra rest as his Republic of Ireland commitments cut short his summer break to a little over three weeks, while most players put their feet up for twice as long.

However, his absence will only fuel speculation that the 26-year-old is on his way out – with Sunderland leading the chase.

Royals rejected three bids of up to £5 million from Black Cats boss Roy Keane in January but the Irishman is certain to come back with more.

A possible £10 million swoop for Hunt plus Royals striker Kevin Doyle could also be on the cards.

Speaking exclusively to The Chronicle, Hunt said: “I’m having a bit of a longer break because I only finished with Ireland three-and-a-half weeks ago.

“Since then I’ve been married too, so I’m having a rest then will hopefully join up with everyone a bit later. I’ve been doing bits and pieces to keep fit like playing lots of tennis and golf and I feel in good shape.

“But you miss the football to be fair. You can’t beat going training with your mates and having a good time.”

Hunt, voted Reading’s Player of the Year last season, insists he has ignored the recent speculation surrounding his future.

But the straight-talking star admits every player at Reading would find it difficult to resist the overtures of a Premier League club. So far Glen Little is the only player to have left for a top-flight club following his switch to Portsmouth but Nicky Shorey, James Harper, Dave Kitson, Leroy Lita and Ibrahima Sonko are also attracting interest.

Hunt declared: “I’ve completely switched off from all the speculation over the last three or four weeks.

“I work on the basis that if anything is going to happen, I will be informed. All the other stuff you read in the papers is rubbish. If nothing does happen then I will make sure I am ready to play for Reading.

“But every Reading player wants to play in the Premier League, and that’s the truth. Don’t get me wrong, players are happy here, the facilities are great and we’ve got an excellent training ground.

“But if anybody said they do not want to play in the Premier League they’d be lying.

“Personally, I love it around here. It’s a great area to live in, we’ve got a terrific manager in Steve Coppell and the fans are superb.

“It’s not that people aren’t happy but everyone wants to play at the highest level.”

And he added: “It’s a short career and I think fans would appreciate it more if players were more honest about these things. Supporters aren’t stupid and it makes more sense if they know what’s going on.

“But I don’t want to generalise here. Some players might be happy to stay at Reading, especially those just starting their careers or those coming to an end.

“I suppose only time will tell who stays and goes but I’m sure we will know more by the end of the month.

“Nearly every player has been linked with some other club and there is bound to be interest because I don’t think we should have been relegated. But it happened and we’ve got to deal with the consequences of that.”

Little was poised to sign a new contract with Reading when Pompey boss Harry Redknapp called out of the blue.

“I spoke with Glen and wished him all the best,” revealed Hunt. “He’s a good player and he showed his ability in the Premier League the season before last.

“He was out of contract and he maximised his situation to get a move back to the Premier League.

“He had a couple of clubs chasing him but as soon as Pompey were interested it was a straightforward decision.

“It’s great for him but sad for Reading. However, hopefully we will replace him with a new player or maybe it’s time for Jimmy Kebe to step up to the plate.”

Royals are second favourites with most bookmakers to win promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt.

And they launch their Championship season away to newly-promoted Nottingham Forest on Sunday, August 10 in a live televised game.

“It’s a tough start,” admitted Hunt. “We’ve been relegated and Forest have been promoted and those are always tough games to call. Hopefully we’ll get off to a flyer and start play like I know we can again.

“Any team that gets relegated from the Premier League are almost expected to go straight back up and it’s the same with us.

“That brings its pressures and we will have to deal with those.”

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Stephen Hunt `Prem is place to be' From the RC

by brendywendy » 03 Jul 2008 12:14

interesting stuff from hunty
he'll be orf soon-alomng with every other fecker by the looks of it :cry:

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 03 Jul 2008 12:33

Whats the source?

The headline is tabloid quality spin.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 03 Jul 2008 12:36

I have a sneaking suspicion that it might've been The Chronicle!!

Think it's the first time I've ever seen Hunt talk sense though.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Jul 2008 12:41

Of course every player wants to play in the Prem, even those in the non-league want to. Nothing new there.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 03 Jul 2008 12:44

Not all players want to leave...

"Responding to the rumours that he may be set to leave the Royals following their relegation to the Championship, Matejovsky insists that he has every intention of playing his part in a promotion bid next term."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 70,00.html

Matejovski clearly wants to play with us next season

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Jul 2008 12:48

brendywendy interesting stuff from hunty
he'll be orf soon-alomng with every other fecker by the looks of it :cry:

Of course he will.

As he rightly says, we shouldn't have been relegated but, so far, the only parking space to get festooned with overtures of "Please don't go" belongs to the man who was mostly to blame.

It ain't looking good, but who knows.............................

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 03 Jul 2008 12:55

zac naloen Whats the source?

RC = Reading Chronic(al).

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 03 Jul 2008 12:59

Does anyone seriously think losing stephen hunt will be a blow? He tries hard granted. But he has 0 composure and can't cross a ball, not particularly what you want from a left winger. If we get anything more than £2.5m for him, which it looks like we will, it will be a fantastic bit of business. If players are gonna go, hurry up about it so we can bring in new talent and prepare those that wanna be here for the new season.

Radders

by Radders » 03 Jul 2008 13:09

Speaking exclusively to The Chronicle, Hunt said

:roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jul 2008 13:28

"Speaking exclusively to The Chronicle, Hunt said: “I’m having a bit of a longer break because I only finished with Ireland three-and-a-half weeks ago.

“Since then I’ve been married too, so I’m having a rest then will hopefully join up with everyone a bit later. I’ve been doing bits and pieces to keep fit like playing lots of tennis and golf and I feel in good shape."

My heart bleeds for these poor footballers - only 3.5 weeks holiday?!!

A smokescreen if ever there was one. Few supporters are likely to believe that really is the reason he's not returned to the club today!

Still, at least Oliver Holt will have to find another club to hate once the 'manic headbreaker' has left us!

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 03 Jul 2008 13:43

Bill Oddie's Beard Does anyone seriously think losing stephen hunt will be a blow? He tries hard granted. But he has 0 composure and can't cross a ball, not particularly what you want from a left winger. If we get anything more than £2.5m for him, which it looks like we will, it will be a fantastic bit of business. If players are gonna go, hurry up about it so we can bring in new talent and prepare those that wanna be here for the new season.

Well said BOB, I agree (although I would hope for a bit more than £2.5m).

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Jul 2008 13:52

Hunt hardly had a break for 2 years - he was excellent in the first part of the season just gone, but faded badly after Christmas.

Ungenerously it seems that many put that down to a lack of basic talent, and / or the money associated with the new contract.

But considering his all-action style and inredible rate of improvement in 2005 to 2007, (including some very decent performances for his country) is it not reasonable to consider for a moment that he might have been physically and mentally shot?

I think the guy simply needed a rest.

£5m would be great business but I will be more than happy to see him line up on Aug 9th because a refreshed and raing-to-go Hunt might be just what this team needs to ensure it doesn't start off the season with a low-key whimper.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 03 Jul 2008 14:17

Royal Rother Hunt hardly had a break for 2 years - he was excellent in the first part of the season just gone, but faded badly after Christmas.

Ungenerously it seems that many put that down to a lack of basic talent, and / or the money associated with the new contract.

But considering his all-action style and inredible rate of improvement in 2005 to 2007, (including some very decent performances for his country) is it not reasonable to consider for a moment that he might have been physically and mentally shot?

I think the guy simply needed a rest.

£5m would be great business but I will be more than happy to see him line up on Aug 9th because a refreshed and raing-to-go Hunt might be just what this team needs to ensure it doesn't start off the season with a low-key whimper.

Good post. Any team starting with a fully-fresh Hunty will be anything but whimper-ish. Exactly what they need.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Jul 2008 14:26

Stephen Hunt's end product, in particular his crossing just isn't good enough for a Premiership winger. YEs he did start the season strongly, in particular against Everton I thought he had a tremendous game, after the first month/2months I thought he got worse and worse and by January I was praying we'd take the money. I admire his rise from rags to riches (sort of) in that he's gone from League 1 scrapheap to the Premiership, I think his work rate and energy levels (absolutely no one questions that) make up for his genuine lack of that extra quality you need to be a really decent player. English football fans love a 'trier' they love someone that shows that 'passion' in his play, ultimately you just have to have more than that. If we were offered in the region of £5million we'd be absolute fools to turn it down this time.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Jul 2008 14:30

RoyalBlue "Speaking exclusively to The Chronicle, Hunt said: “I’m having a bit of a longer break because I only finished with Ireland three-and-a-half weeks ago.

“Since then I’ve been married too, so I’m having a rest then will hopefully join up with everyone a bit later. I’ve been doing bits and pieces to keep fit like playing lots of tennis and golf and I feel in good shape."

My heart bleeds for these poor footballers - only 3.5 weeks holiday?!!

A smokescreen if ever there was one. Few supporters are likely to believe that really is the reason he's not returned to the club today!

Still, at least Oliver Holt will have to find another club to hate once the 'manic headbreaker' has left us!

none of the players who were on intl duties have returned to training today
are they all smokescreening too?

agree about hunt

he is everything you want from a player in terms of attitude and energy
an much less than required in the areas of skill, touch, accuracy and trickery,
(though at least he has the confidence to try stuff-some of his back heels,skinning plenty of RBs on the touchline, and a flying backheel for a goal spring to mind)

as a member of the 106 point legends hell always be welcomed back by me
but for 5 million, this club will snap their hands off, and rightly so

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 03 Jul 2008 14:40

I would suggest that there is a huge difference in the amount of time off that a top class athlete needs and what a desk bound pen pusher needs !

Given that just about every player carries some kind of injury during the season a break of several weeks might just about give them time to rest and get those niggles clear. 3 1/2 weeks seems a pretty short time to fully recover and be ready to get going again for another 48 weeks of physical exertion.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 03 Jul 2008 15:39

Radders

Speaking exclusively to The Chronicle, Hunt said

:roll:

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware there was only one Chronicle in existance in the UK. :roll:

Royal Jelly

by Royal Jelly » 03 Jul 2008 15:54

Am I the only person who thinks that Hunt will be worth a lot less to us in the championship where (please god) we're trying to win a lot more games, not just chase the oposition?

When we did so well it was in large part due to Convey's attacking powers, which I still think outhweigh Hunt's and hopefully this'll be the case again next year. Hunt can go and run around after a load of diving premiership stars for somebody else, and I'd be happy with a bit more positive attacking talent in the side.

Feel free to remind me of this when we're in 19th next March :|

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 03 Jul 2008 16:03

what makes me laugh is that even hunty knows that kebe is bobbins as he says
(how i imagine the interview going)
Hunt"we will replace little with a new player"
reporter"ahem....kebe....ahem"
Hunt"what"
reporter"(under his breath)Kebe"
Hunt"oh yeah right, it may be time for him to step up"

gotta love hunty!