The dreaded vote of confidence

142 posts

Do you have faith in the management team and board at RFC?

Yes.
57%
No.
43%

Total votes: 190
chandog

Re: The dreaded vote of confidence

by chandog » 18 Jul 2008 20:38

Coppell is a good manager - no question
But it is mr madejski who seems to be holding us back
The squad is rarely strengthened - only added to with cheap, average players
However madejski stood by coppell during our losing streak last year when other chairmans would have sacked the manager ASAP
If the club is for sale then lets hope someone rich comes in and that they care about the club not just the money

Streets

by Streets » 18 Jul 2008 20:51

Southbank Old Boy
Streets Now the little fecker is saying Coppell can use all £5.5m. LOL.

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

We didn't that much in the Premiership last season, we wont in the Championship this term!

Chairman gets a NO VOTE OF CONFIDENCE.

What about the man that won't spend the money Jay?

I've never fully accepted this.

Coppell was quoted last November as saying we must spend and we must invest. January came and it went, we didn't invest. Don't try and tell me Coppell didn't want to spend any money available to him.

It's more like the players he wanted we simply to expensive in terms of wages and fee's if anything else.

My opinion of course.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 18 Jul 2008 20:51

PEARCEY
Toby_Jugs Madejski has taken us as far as we wants to. Time for him to go before other clubs overtake us. Steve Coppell remains a good manager and we don't know to what extent his hands have been tied, but I doubt the likes of Hammond of Madeksji have helped him much recently.

We should be thankful for where Madejski has taken the club, but time for him to move on and let someone take the club to the next level.

Agreed

Significant flaw in the arguement though....

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 18 Jul 2008 20:55

I'll stick by what I said on May 14th, which was subsequently printed in the Evening Post

"Coppell has acheived all he can here, it's time he moved on and we brought someone flesh in. Eammon Dolan wouldn't be a bad choice to promote internally"

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Jul 2008 21:01

@chandog

Perhaps:

Reading-born actress Kate Winslet,
Radio broadcaster and television presenter Chris Tarrant
Musician Mike Oldfield of Tubular Bells fame.
Author and cricket commentator John Arlott
Musician Simon Gallup, long serving bass guitarist of The Cure, draped a team flag over his amp while playing in Sydney Australia during the band's 2007 tour
Boxer Michael Sprott
Television Presenter Mark Rumble
TV Golf Analyst and former professional golfer Richard Boxall
Irwin Sparkes, lead singer and guitarist of The Hoosiers, originally from Reading.

could form a consortium?

Come on, be, serious, other than Madjeski, who else are we going to get who has cash and cares about the club? None of you are planning on winning £100m on the Euromillions are you?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 18 Jul 2008 21:09

Roger the Rabbit
PEARCEY
Toby_Jugs Madejski has taken us as far as we wants to. Time for him to go before other clubs overtake us. Steve Coppell remains a good manager and we don't know to what extent his hands have been tied, but I doubt the likes of Hammond of Madeksji have helped him much recently.

We should be thankful for where Madejski has taken the club, but time for him to move on and let someone take the club to the next level.

Agreed

Significant flaw in the arguement though....

Care to elaborate Behindu?
I think its time Mr Mad moved on...he doesn't want to stay and if the club is to move forward surely we need a younger more dynamic man at the helm who has a long-term ambition for the club.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 18 Jul 2008 21:11

YAWN :roll:

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 18 Jul 2008 21:17

Turns8 YAWN :roll:

I 100% back Steve Coppell but I cannot see much point in the Chairman remaining when he clearly wants to sell.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 18 Jul 2008 21:23

Time for Madejski to go IMO and let someone with ambition and substance take the club forward. We achieved promotion on a shoe string budget, and on the back of Steve Coppells management skills. Steve Coppell is an excellent manager and who knows what he could achieve if he had the backing of a chairman more intersted in the team that appearing in the media along side CIlla Black. Madejski is holding this club bank and or failure to spend while in the Premiership underlines this and represents a missed opportunity, for which us the supporters have to suffer.

Many on here will point out that we now have a lovely shiney stadium with state of the art facilities, including delux media centre and an ever expanding hotel, certainly a far cry from the dilapidated shed that was our beloved Elm Park. However, let us be very clear, the one person who will benefit most from Reading Football Club in the long term is John Madejski.

For a start, the money he 'pumped' into the club were only loans. These Director loans (which can be taken back tax free), have been used to build the very infrastrure that we are so grateful for him for. It is these very loans, and the fact he has been taking the vast majority of them (if not all) back with the SKy money etc that I suspect is the reason for our lack of expenditure in the transfer market. The lack of spending when it was painfully obvious to all we needed reinforcment, I sure many would agree, was the main reason for us going down and blowing our chances of establishing ourselves in the Premiership in the near future.

So essentially, My Madejski has vastly increased his assets, and he has affectively not had to pay for it as he has recovered his investment. They are all his, and he will benefit hugely when the club is sold. An excellent bit of business for Madejski, shame that us fans are the ones that suffer, but her...he gets a load of cash so I am sure he doesn't give a toss

The guy is also sicophantic, and has used the club purely as a means to highten his profile. Lets face it, before he bought the club, how many of us outside the publishing industry had actually heard of him? Now he appears in the media on a regular basis and I am sure a Kighthood is not far away. It if often the case that those who can buy almost anything they want, a category that Madejski falls into, often strive to attain things money cannot buy. Lets face it, why else would he spend millions on his Performng Arts College and other such projects........

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 18 Jul 2008 21:24

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Far too risk averse - thats the problem -there's being careful and there's being bloody tight and totally shortsighted on the long term strategy -

£5.5m??? The board have never been there with that kind of money either paying out or receiving - they probably p**sed their pants with excitement

The board would sh*te themselves and give themselves sleepless nights if we paid anywhere near £5m on a decent player - we operate in a comfort zone, and under current stewardship , always will

Mensah

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 18 Jul 2008 21:29

Big Ern The guy is also sicophantic........

Quite right!

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 18 Jul 2008 21:32

Handsome Man
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Far too risk averse - thats the problem -there's being careful and there's being bloody tight and totally shortsighted on the long term strategy -

£5.5m??? The board have never been there with that kind of money either paying out or receiving - they probably p**sed their pants with excitement

The board would sh*te themselves and give themselves sleepless nights if we paid anywhere near £5m on a decent player - we operate in a comfort zone, and under current stewardship , always will

Mensah

Lescott

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Jul 2008 21:41

Big Ern The guy is also sicophantic, and has used the club purely as a means to highten his profile. Lets face it, before he bought the club, how many of us outside the publishing industry had actually heard of him? Now he appears in the media on a regular basis and I am sure a Kighthood is not far away. It if often the case that those who can buy almost anything they want, a category that Madejski falls into, often strive to attain things money cannot buy. Lets face it, why else would he spend millions on his Performng Arts College and other such projects........

Bit harsh, Erners.

The club was on its arse in 1990 when he took over, it was hardly a profile-heightening purchase back in the days when Reading Football Club was about as fashionable as a biege tank top. I have to say that speaking as an arch-cynic myself (small 'a' arch, not big 'A' Hob Nob Arch - I quite like him 8) ) I don't necessarily subscribe to the buying a knighthood train of thought; perhaps he is just looking to leave a legacy after he dies, something that very few of us could wish to achieve. Ploughing money into a failing school, for instance, is a very decent and honourable thing to do.

John Madejski has done more for the town of Reading and for Reading Football Club than all of us put together and then some. That is not to say that I am particularly happy with the regime he is currently overseeing at RFC these days, a regime which seems to me to be going rather stale.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 18 Jul 2008 21:44

Question: Do I have faith in the board and management to do what?

Promotion? No.

Relegation? No to that too.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Jul 2008 21:54

I'm not Coppell's biggest fan but it still to early for this kind of talk imo.

If we only lose Shorey and Harper now the squad still doesn't need too much work.

4-5 players will do the job, Coppell's still got plenty off time to get what he needs in.

Hopefully he'll prove the likes of me wrong and the people who stood by him can look on in smugness. Though I'm sure they wouldn't rub it in too much....

:wink:

He's gotta get the players though.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 18 Jul 2008 22:09

Every RFC fan wants the best for RFC.
It's all about whether you trust the current set-up or not.
It's not about point-scoring, or I'll told you so...because if the wheels do fall off and I see that we have ground to a halt, then yeah, I will gladly turn from someone who trusts the set-up to someone who doesn't...
And on the flipside, if someone has grave doubts or does not trust the set-up sees it all emerging again into something they can trust, of course they will change their tune.

We all want the same thing.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Jul 2008 22:16

readingbedding Every RFC fan wants the best for RFC.
It's not about point-scoring, or I'll told you so...because if the wheels do fall off and I see that we have ground to a halt, then yeah, I will gladly turn from someone who trusts the set-up to someone who doesn't...
And on the flipside, if someone has grave doubts or does not trust the set-up sees it all emerging again into something they can trust, of course they will change their tune.

Well said.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Jul 2008 22:28

The 5.5m divvied up among Hob Nob regulars?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Jul 2008 22:48

Roger the Rabbit This is like a meeting of Depressives Anonymous !

I reckon you guys should all trash your ids and go watch the cricket....

Our problem is simple .... we care too much. Mr Ego couldn't give a rat's arse about RFC. We know this to be FACT! All he wants is his glory, a oxf*rd sainthood for saving RFC from folding. Well "well done you Mr Ego" for doing that. Now oxf*rd off and do yourself, and us, a bigger favour. Go and count your money and polish your marble statue in front of your Ferrari in front of your gym. Either that or actually start to deliver on your oxf*rd empty rhetoric that yuou have been so fond of sputing for the last 16 odd years.

Now IF Mr Ego was serious about wanting to save RFC for the town, wouldn't you think he'd be willing to pass the club over to a Supporters Collective, seeing as now it's self financing and all? He could actually deliver on the myth he's trying so hard to build up, and actually write-off the £40M LOAN to a Supporters Collective. Just how much of a philanthopist are you Mr Ego?? Eh??

Chickens home to roost pal, chickens home to roost.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 18 Jul 2008 22:56

Thirded.

142 posts