Murty's Testimonial

372 posts
ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Murty's Testimonial

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 05 Aug 2008 22:30

Murty's Testimonial game will be against Celtic in May.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Murty's Testimonial

by rg6royal » 05 Aug 2008 22:33

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 05 Aug 2008 22:34

Not quite as glamorous as Inter...

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 05 Aug 2008 22:39

Looks like a nice money spinner for the Murty's.

I see he'll be making "a contribution" to charity from the proceeds, which is very nice, but I wonder how much of it?

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 05 Aug 2008 22:46

Southbank Old Boy Looks like a nice money spinner for the Murty's.

I see he'll be making "a contribution" to charity from the proceeds, which is very nice, but I wonder how much of it?

Murty isn't a pcunt like other people, I reckon most of that money will actually go to Charity.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Aug 2008 23:21

Bill Oddie's Beard Not quite as glamorous as Inter...

It's the game Murty wanted, it's his Dad's team so he's got the best opposition for himself.

Might even go to it myself.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 06 Aug 2008 08:49

Martin salter helped to put the fixture together.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 06 Aug 2008 08:57

Will almost definately be attending this.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 06 Aug 2008 09:00

I was invited to the launch of Murts' Testimonial Year last night, but couldn't make it.

:cry:

Anyone on here go to it?

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 06 Aug 2008 09:06

yes.Most of the squad were in attendance.

Streets

by Streets » 06 Aug 2008 09:29

Who cares how much?

He does a lot of charity so I'm sure what he gives will be a considerable amount.

Looking forward to the game already!

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 06 Aug 2008 09:36

Streets

Who cares how much?

He does a lot of charity so I'm sure what he gives will be a considerable amount.

I'm not overly bothered but I do think it's a bit needless to be donating a hell of a lot of money to line the pockets of someone that has earned a lot of money doing a job he loves.

I'll more than likely go to the game but only to say thank you to a loyal servant of the club. The fact that he'll make an extra wad of cash from it puts me off, but as you say, I think it'll be a decent sum he gives away.

I think JM has it right that testimonials are an outdated practice considering the amount of money in the game.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 06 Aug 2008 10:02

Southbank Old Boy
Streets

Who cares how much?

I'm not overly bothered but I do think it's a bit needless to be donating a hell of a lot of money to line the pockets of someone that has earned a lot of money doing a job he loves.

I'll more than likely go to the game but only to say thank you to a loyal servant of the club. The fact that he'll make an extra wad of cash from it puts me off, but as you say, I think it'll be a decent sum he gives away.

I think JM has it right that testimonials are an outdated practice considering the amount of money in the game.

Gotta say i 100% agree.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 06 Aug 2008 11:35

Really?

I'd be surprised if any money went to line anyone's pockets other than the charities said to be benefitting.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 06 Aug 2008 11:47

Sarah Star Really?

I'd be surprised if any money went to line anyone's pockets other than the charities said to be benefitting.

Why?

Apart from the fact that Murty is generally a nice guy, his testimonial website says that a contribution will be made from the proceeds.

It doesn't say either way that all or part of the proceeds will go to charity, but that was why I was asking the question.

If it was all going to go to charity I'd have thought they'd make a point of saying that at the outset.

I can't really blame him for wanting to make a bit more of a nest egg off the back of a testimonial year, I just don't think it's really necessary when you consider his career has presumably already made him a millionaire.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 06 Aug 2008 11:52

I assume there are some things that have to be paid for and that's why they don't say all of it will go to charity. But yes, I am basing that opinion on the fact that he is a 'nice guy' and he doesn't really need the money - can't think that any of them do tbh.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 06 Aug 2008 11:57

I certainly think Murty should be totally transparent about what money is going where.

I'd be extremely disappointed if the vast majority of it were not going to local charities.

kingsleyroyal

by kingsleyroyal » 06 Aug 2008 12:00

Murts is a patron of quite a few charities around here, and contributed great amounts of money on many occasions, and considering the shelf life of a footballer, he is quite within his right to keep some of his earnings to himself. His loyalty to the club backs this up.

Greg Halford, for example, has earned 3 times as much as Murts last year through signing on fee's (something Murts has not been a beneficiary of). He is a millionnaire no doubt. And being reliably informed that Murts is one of the lowest 1st team earners at the club kind of justifies this. And, I guess this testimonial income is his kind of "signing on fee's" that most unloyal footballers gain from.

And, Murts has to hire the Stadium, pay the police, hire the staff and food & drink out of his own money I guess????

I say good on him, and see you there. What a great way to end a promotion season!

See y'all at Forest on Sunday!

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 06 Aug 2008 12:07

I'm sure he'll have received a nice signing on fee every time we've rewarded him with another new contract over the years.

As for Murty being one of the lower paid players in the first team. That doesn't really surprise me as he's probably one of the less valuable and sought after players too. Pay reflects worth and although he's been an excellent captain and the best right back we've had for a long long time, he's pay is always likely to be towards the bottom of the starting XI because of his ability and the position he plays in.

As much as I like him as a player and respect him as a person, I can't feel any sympathy for his finances.

As for the costs etc, obviously those are covered out of the revenue leaving him with the profit to distribute as he sees fit.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 06 Aug 2008 12:09

Murtz has been an integral part of RFC 'The Club' for a number of years now and epitomises all that is good about my club. I will certainly be supporting the event and do not care if the great man himself derives benefit.

372 posts