Platypuss
no Harper then?

I'm not saying they'd all start. :roll:

Then what are you saying?

Oh, nothing. Plus ca change.

Jeffers217

Re: Royals @ Charlton Match Thread

by Jeffers217 » 23 Aug 2008 17:06

jumpers for goalposts The few positives: Good performance from Cisse, seems to be improving with every game.

LOL Cisse was the worst player on the pitch by a considerable length...did you watch the same game mate? And will people stop slagging off Sonko, he was our best defender today and looks like our rock at the back. The challenge was soft and outside the box so shouldn't have got a booking for that.

This is my ideal line up at the present moment in time (forget the fact that some are injured):

Hahnemann
Rosenior Pearce Bikey ???? Golbourne

Kebe Matejovsky Karacan S. Hunt

Long N. Hunt

I know I'm not a manager but that is radically different to the pile of crap we are seeing at the moment, only 4 players would make my team.

USA- Playing well with confidence despite the 4 goals
Rosenior- I just don't wanna see murty play ever again and I dont wanna hear him say everything is ok on the morning radio ever again. Should be stripped of his captaincy
Pearce- looks strong and has played well
Bikey- Best tackler in the league and composed
??? Golborne- Please sign someone Coppell
Kebe- Not convinced by him but it at least looks like he has some potential
Matejovsy- clearly too good for us but great vision and can be our attacking player
Karacan- Cant actually tackle and be our defensive midfielder
S. Hunt- Crossing has greatly improved
Long- Creates chances and links up well with N. Hunt
N. Hunt- Can hit the target and looks dangerous

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 23 Aug 2008 17:10

What has Murty done to recieve your wrath?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Aug 2008 17:10

The ref was awful, as was his linesman at our end. Two of Charlton's goals might have been off side (I think a player was blocking Marcus' view for the third) and their penalty shouldn't have been given, because neither of them knew if it was inside or out. Sending off was a joke, neither was a paticuarly bad foul and the second was more of a collision than a foul.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 23 Aug 2008 17:33

I like the way, after a season where we couldn't tackle our way out of a paper bag and it was clear we needed to buy a central midfielder, we still can't tackle our way out of a paper bag.

Thoughts from watching it in the pub ...

1) Sour cream and mayonnaise are different things

2) The cheese should have melted on the nachos

3) Long and Hunt > DoyLOLe and LOLita

4) Staropramen on tap. That's nice.

5) The comedy of our back four forming a neat square for Charlton to run through

6) The inevitable "43 games to go, why are you complaining now". Do you not remember last season? LOL

7) Fosters. Will have to do.

8) I actually wanted Charlton to get that 5th one off the bar. Fantastic cross, great run. How we could play.

LOLZ @ RTG

:roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Aug 2008 17:34

Binfield Royal Having read through the comments, I have to come down on the side of the pragmatists.

1. How many similar posts were posted after the 2-1 defeat to Plymouth in the 2006 season?

2. Todays result was not any one players fault. I agree Doyle is out of sorts and needs his confidence rebuilt but how else can he do this apart from score goals?

3. We do not have any right to win games in the Championship just because we were in the premier league last year. Those detractors should realise we were a small club in the premier league and we are not a big club in the championship. We will go back to enjoying home gates of only 18000 and all out "Star" players have either gone or want to go (except SHunt who really does seem to be "what you see is what you get").

we will not be relegated - we will be in the mix at the end of the season in the top 6 and top 2 is not impossible or unthinkable if just a few pieces of the puzzle come back together which may well be the return of Murty and the aquisition of a good left back if Goldbourne does not step up to the plate and Doyle or Lita to start scoring goals - which they will.

Not getting relegated and maybe being in the mix at the end of the season is a bit of a wake up call for all of those RTGs who have spent this year telling us that we would bounce straight back if we went down.

Those of us who remembered what happened after our play-off final defeat against Bolton were ridiculed when we expressed fears of a repeat if we were relegated from the PL last season.I'm sure all of us would have loved to have had egg all over our faces and been proven wrong but it's all looking remarkably similar so far - complete with the sale of the family's silver and JM's pleas of club poverty!

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 23 Aug 2008 17:35

The Ref cant be blamed for our inept, dire performance full of misplaced passes, total lack of enthusiasm, except the two Hunts and Long, and total inability of our midfield to make things happen, these are our problems provided to us by our inept management trio.

How many of the SSC please stay warriors would now be bothered to stand in a car park and ask him to stay ?, there is a bad demon somewhere around the top of this club that is preventing us moving forward, we keep getting bland, contradictory statement issued from the club through the press and OS as to what our aspirations are, for the season and concerning new blood coming in. I would love to hear the owners assessment about our start to the season, particularly on todays shambles, his brick-by-brick endeavours of previous times are being bulldozed into demolishion at the moment, and there seems to be no response or attempt from the club to correct this.

We have fallen back so much in the last 9 months that it is hard to believe that we were number 8 in the Premiership just a short time ago, Coppell has got to seriously consider his position, the loyalty and not wishing to change things, is wearing very thin now, I am not quite sure what Hammond does except report to the press and OS "we have transfer targets", and Madejski has now openly admitted that he wont support i.e subsidies, the club anymore, that being slightly sad as the clubs success through his tenurship has promoted him massively into the public eye, he is Mr Ego though.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Aug 2008 17:36

Platypuss
Gordons Cumming
Schards#2 Seriously, what will it take for you to accept we are poor and will struggle. Just how bad for how long would we have to be?

What is the point in being uptight and negative?

What good will it do?

All a supporter can do is be optimistic can't he/she? If not why bother?

To improve you need to identify weaknesses and address them. Closing your eyes to glaring inadequacies is folly.

But it does display tremendous solidarity with John Madejski!

If Steve Coppell wasn't going to be given proper substantial financial backing (in terms of both transfer fees and wages) to get us back to the PL at the first time of asking, then it was absolutely pointless Madejski asking him to stay on, because as sure as eggs is eggs he ain't going to hang around for long enough to achieve it the cut-price Madjeski way.

Madejski is cutting the cloth and is leaving Coppell with a coat (aka squad) full of sodding great holes!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 23 Aug 2008 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Aug 2008 17:38

Ive read a dozen or so posts on this thread, and everyone has taken a one sided view of today. there are 2 teams in every game, not one

Not a mention of how well Charlton played. They put together 7 or 8 fantastic moves today.

Last week we played a very poor Plymouth Team (at Home), all the talk is positive. this week we played a good Charlton Team (Away) and its all doom and gloom.

We played better today all round compared to the Forest Game.

One glaringing obvious thing from our performance today though is the poor form of the front 2. With options up front, that has to change. We will also be far better with S Hunt further forward and Marek back in the centre.

Disappointing Result today then and not a great performance, certainly not woeful. Get a Left Back in and we definately have the players in the squad to mount a promotion challenge. But maybe we will have to ride out a bit of a hangover 1st.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 23 Aug 2008 17:42

Charlton were very good. The 3rd and 4th goals were very, very well taken and they almost scored a 5th from very neat play.

But I think we need a bit more than a left back. A left back isn't going to help our midfield stop the opposition from strolling through us like I've seen both of the games I've watched.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Aug 2008 17:47

papereyes Charlton were very good. The 3rd and 4th goals were very, very well taken and they almost scored a 5th from very neat play.

But I think we need a bit more than a left back. A left back isn't going to help our midfield stop the opposition from strolling through us like I've seen both of the games I've watched.

A defensive midfielder is also crucial.

After that performance I see the value of having five strikers in the squad!

I also accept that Charlton were very good. It reminded me too much of some of our more disjointed performances from last year. I think that's why I was so disappointed.

As I have said before this can be turned round but it needs positive moves asap.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Aug 2008 17:52

papereyes Charlton were very good. The 3rd and 4th goals were very, very well taken and they almost scored a 5th from very neat play.

But with a new left back, we also get a new midfielder with S Hunt. I just dont rate Convey. He has the ability but he is so timid. Hunt wont play as an out an out winger and will give the midfield a bit more bite.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 23 Aug 2008 17:57

hehe, got on tv with some balloon breasts apparently. anyone have it sky plussed that would like to send me the clip or a picture of me on tv?

what a dump defensive record we are going to have. We are so inconsistent.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 23 Aug 2008 17:58

howser The Ref cant be blamed for our inept, dire performance full of misplaced passes, total lack of enthusiasm, except the two Hunts and Long, and total inability of our midfield to make things happen, these are our problems provided to us by our inept management trio.

How many of the SSC please stay warriors would now be bothered to stand in a car park and ask him to stay ?, there is a bad demon somewhere around the top of this club that is preventing us moving forward, we keep getting bland, contradictory statement issued from the club through the press and OS as to what our aspirations are, for the season and concerning new blood coming in. I would love to hear the owners assessment about our start to the season, particularly on todays shambles, his brick-by-brick endeavours of previous times are being bulldozed into demolishion at the moment, and there seems to be no response or attempt from the club to correct this.

We have fallen back so much in the last 9 months that it is hard to believe that we were number 8 in the Premiership just a short time ago, Coppell has got to seriously consider his position, the loyalty and not wishing to change things, is wearing very thin now, I am not quite sure what Hammond does except report to the press and OS "we have transfer targets", and Madejski has now openly admitted that he wont support i.e subsidies, the club anymore, that being slightly sad as the clubs success through his tenurship has promoted him massively into the public eye, he is Mr Ego though.

I wish that statement was totally and utterly wrong, but I agree with it.

I hear people's opinions that we are well run etc, and I agree to a certain extent.

But unlike a business that people have to use, we are in the entertainment market. If we continue with this current "cautious" approach, i can see the short term gains, but longer term, I think its seriously flawed.

I have mentioned before, the club had in the PL, and still have today, the opportunity to build on that success, get the kids supporting the club, as kids love to back the winners. They are the paying punters of tomorrow.

But i think JM's stance will be the un-doing of the work the club has put in/achieved over the last few seasons.

I hope I am wrong, but in the three games I've seen so far, I do not see this squad has what it takes to mount a promotion charge, I really hope I am wrong, but I don't see the a) quality from front to back, and b) the desire to make 2005 happen again.

Its crucial the club get promoted in the next two seasons, as we all know the PL dosh runs out then, and if we don't go up, well, if we are skint after what the club has achieved in the last few seasons, we will be doomed when the club is running on a CCC income !!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 23 Aug 2008 18:00

willz_royal hehe, got on tv with some balloon breasts apparently. anyone have it sky plussed that would like to send me the clip or a picture of me on tv?

what a dump defensive record we are going to have. We are so inconsistent.

And our attacking record is going to be superb.

LOLZ @ LOLita

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 23 Aug 2008 18:01

Poor today., especially at the back. N.Hunt to start for next week for me looked good when he came on.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 23 Aug 2008 18:16

Just watching the Plymouth v Swansea game and that Ferrie Bodde, (who we were supposedly interested in until it was found out the transfer fee had 7 digits in it) is a class player. Good defensively, good going forward, great passer and good at dead ball.............

When Reading play Swansea he'll piss all over Harper, and we'll see what we missed by being short sighted and tight fisted

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 23 Aug 2008 18:17

What was our second penalty given for?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Aug 2008 18:19

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Just watching the Plymouth v Swansea game and that Ferrie Bodde, (who we were supposedly interested in until it was found out the transfer fee had 7 digits in it) is a class player. Good defensively, good going forward, great passer and good at dead ball.............

When Reading play Swansea he'll piss all over Harper, and we'll see what we missed by being short sighted and tight fisted

Sorry, he wanted more than 10k a week, thats FAR higher than mr madejski will pay. No go im afraid. Find a midfielder from ireland who wants around 5k and we'll be in business.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Aug 2008 18:20

rg6royal What was our second penalty given for?

Against the defender for pulling back Lita. Never a pen and never a retake.

321 posts