Shane Long

111 posts
mini _dariusz

Shane Long

by mini _dariusz » 24 Aug 2008 12:22

Been with you guys 3 seasons now, probably 4th choice striker still behind Hunt, Doyle and Lita. Everyone say's he's one for the future blah blah blah, 3 years in he's probably in the same boat as he was when he came, 4th choice in a championship squad.

Shit or bust this season me thinks for him, and i reckon he'll bust and be off....

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Shane Long

by rg6royal » 24 Aug 2008 12:29

Long hasn't looked good enough when he has started a game but always looks good when he comes on due to the pace he adds and the defences will be tired at that point in the game.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Aug 2008 12:34

rg6royal Long hasn't looked good enough when he has started a game but always looks good when he comes on due to the pace he adds and the defences will be tired at that point in the game.

That.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 24 Aug 2008 12:40

Should have been sent out on loan in our 1st season in the Premiership.

Coppell needed an excuse not to buy a striker though, Long as 4th choice worked nicely.

Feel sorry for the guy, just not played enough 1st team football to develop. You can only get so far coming off the bench, especially when you never played regular 1st team football.

Deserves a game at the moment though.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 24 Aug 2008 12:41

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Shouldn't have been sent out on loan in our 1st season in the Premiership.

Coppell needed an excuse not to buy a striker though, Long as 4th choice worked nicely.

Feel sorry for the guy, just not played enough 1st team football to develop. You can only get so far coming off the bench, especially when you never played regular 1st team football.

Luton in the cup he will get a run out but you can't really decide a lot about a player against a League 2 club when we are playing Championship football week in week out.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Aug 2008 12:48

I think he should be loaned out to a lower Championship or (ideally) a higher League 1 side. If we lose Doyle during this transfer window, we may need to keep him, but I suppose we could just recall him if a striker gets injured.

hutch

by hutch » 25 Aug 2008 08:34

He makes a good impact as sub, but how long can a player keep coming off the bench? Is he going to spend his career as an "impact" player, or grow himself a pair of balls, knuckle down in training to force Coppell to start with him, or otherwise ask to go out on loan to get some consecutive starts under his belt.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Aug 2008 09:02

hutch He makes a good impact as sub, but how long can a player keep coming off the bench? Is he going to spend his career as an "impact" player, or grow himself a pair of balls, knuckle down in training to force Coppell to start with him, or otherwise ask to go out on loan to get some consecutive starts under his belt.

There was a Norweigan bloke, can't remember his name, played for some small northern club...

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 25 Aug 2008 09:13

He was never going to make an impact in the premiership, a season of coming of the bench in his first season, and looking very good, it was crying out for him to be loaned back to a championship side to complete his education, but it was not to be and he was, being fair, pretty inaffective in the top league. But we are talking about Reading here and there was no way they were going to spend JM's hard earned pennies on another striker, so Long had to stay, bad management, bad career development.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Aug 2008 09:24

SCIAG
hutch He makes a good impact as sub, but how long can a player keep coming off the bench? Is he going to spend his career as an "impact" player, or grow himself a pair of balls, knuckle down in training to force Coppell to start with him, or otherwise ask to go out on loan to get some consecutive starts under his belt.

There was a Norweigan bloke, can't remember his name, played for some small northern club...

Notwithstanding the risible comparison, I'm sure OGS would have started for his Norwegian club before Man U stumped up a million plus for him....

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 25 Aug 2008 10:39

Long's very fit, strong, enthusiastic and energetic, he's just not a very good footballer.

I doubt he'd shine particularly at league two level.

There are several players younger than him making the grade at Premiership and Championship level, if he hasn't realised any potential by now then he hasn't really got any. He's not part of the solution.

chandog

by chandog » 25 Aug 2008 10:44

Schards#2 Long's very fit, strong, enthusiastic and energetic, he's just not a very good footballer.

There are several players younger than him making the grade at Premiership and Championship level, if he hasn't realised any potential by now then he hasn't really got any. He's not part of the solution.

Ooh harsh words
Have to agree with you though

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Aug 2008 17:01

The one thing Long has never had is a run of games at any level with us. Until he gets that either here or on loan somewhere he'll never develop as a player.

He knows where the goal is but needs the games to get sharp and boost the other aspects of his game.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 25 Aug 2008 17:07

rg6royal
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Shouldn't have been sent out on loan in our 1st season in the Premiership.

Luton in the cup he will get a run out but you can't really decide a lot about a player against a League 2 club when we are playing Championship football week in week out.

Well Luton beat Plymouth 2-0 too..

Streets

by Streets » 25 Aug 2008 17:22

chandog
Schards#2 Long's very fit, strong, enthusiastic and energetic, he's just not a very good footballer.

Ooh harsh words
Have to agree with you though

Harsh but he's spot on.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Aug 2008 18:19

Remind me, how many Premiership goals has Long scored? And how many minutes did he have to do it in? And how much servive did he have?
If you gave Long regular League 2 football, he would score at least 20 goals. Probably.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 25 Aug 2008 18:22

SCIAG

Remind me, how many Premiership goals has Long scored? And how many minutes did he have to do it in? And how much servive did he have?
If you gave Long regular League 2 football, he would score at least 20 goals. Probably.

He would do that in League 1 imo.

Streets

by Streets » 25 Aug 2008 18:24

Not at this level he wont.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Aug 2008 18:27

Streets Not at this level he wont.

Yeah, but that's not the point :roll: He could score 10 at this level, 15 if he gets he starts starting well.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 25 Aug 2008 18:29

The problem is that he has never looked good enough when he's started a game but when he comes off the bench he looks superb at times.

111 posts