Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jan 2021 13:02

Snowflake Royal Always good to LOL @ Schards

Enjoy the fact we eventually had his sea change then became shit for not far off a decade.

But he was not at all alone in his view. I remember people raging about our lack of ambition and spending when we sold the likes of Kitson, Sonko, Doyle, Hunt, Sigurdsson etc.

Now it's on the other foot, and our wasted spending under Gourlay and questionable transfer decision over players like Moore and Loader are criticised (rightfully in my view).

In hindsight there was a lot of naivety and complacency. Running a football club well is hard, and the structure under SJM was exceedingly competent. If only he had a bit more financial muscle like the owners of Wolves and Leicester City.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 Jan 2021 13:32

WestYorksRoyal The false hope of the AZ takeover seems a long time ago.

Pfizer would probably beat them to it...

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 15 May 2021 21:49

I think we have progressed this season, the back end of the season has been poor but overall, progression.

If Pauno stays let’s hope we maintain or improve next season.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 17 May 2021 09:56

Clearly we progressed last season and have things to feel optimistic about. But this league . . . . . .you never know if 3-4 clubs are just going to go mad and spend ££££ preseason. Any club that is trying to balance their budget in the Championship is always in a precarious situation. It just seems like we need an unlikely number of things to come right at the same time to do well next season.

yuomi

by yuomi » 17 May 2021 10:07

On the face of it, our immediate prospects are pretty bleak - despite the good (if frustrating) season we've just had.

The finances are a colossal mess, and I can't really see how we can skirt at least some form of EFL sanction for much longer given how bad the books look. That being the case we're going to have to sell this summer and the prospects of bringing anyone in appear to be limited. Add to that losing Richards and we're going to need to pull several rabbits out of hats to even be as strong as we were at the start of last season come August.

As ever the club is pretty much opaque in its business, so each new surprise move will be interesting. But I think we need to be ready for an uncomfortable summer.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 17 May 2021 11:07

As ever it will be the finances that decide our fate.

Under Paunovic this has been one of the more capable and exciting squads in recent years, so many options in starting elevens, but in this post-Madejski era our finances appear to be catching up with us.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 17 May 2021 14:09

My understanding of FFP is obviously lacking ! How come in the Premiership if you have wealthy owners , you are at a big advantage , yet our owners who are wealthy and have been generous towards the club doesn’t appear to give us cover against FFP sanctions ?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 May 2021 14:30

yuomi On the face of it, our immediate prospects are pretty bleak - despite the good (if frustrating) season we've just had.

The finances are a colossal mess, and I can't really see how we can skirt at least some form of EFL sanction for much longer given how bad the books look. That being the case we're going to have to sell this summer and the prospects of bringing anyone in appear to be limited. Add to that losing Richards and we're going to need to pull several rabbits out of hats to even be as strong as we were at the start of last season come August.

As ever the club is pretty much opaque in its business, so each new surprise move will be interesting. But I think we need to be ready for an uncomfortable summer.

It is under-estimated how well Paunovic managed and brought on younger players last season. There was one game where we started with five academy graduates (Richards, Holmes, McIntyre, Olise, Rinomhota), with I think a couple more on the bench. He'll need to repeat the trick next season, and maybe without two of those.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 May 2021 14:32

Once upon a time . My understanding of FFP is obviously lacking ! How come in the Premiership if you have wealthy owners , you are at a big advantage , yet our owners who are wealthy and have been generous towards the club doesn’t appear to give us cover against FFP sanctions ?

The rules aren't necessarily the same in FL and PL. They're different bodies.

Also the income is colossal and helps finance debt easier.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 17 May 2021 14:43

Thank you Snowflake Royal for that information , it is appreciated . However, one would imagine that the debts that the Premier teams operate at would dwarf the smaller clubs and their budgets . One could also ask , why have two different methods of judging the finances of clubs , particularly if for instance a club is backed by money on a par with premier clubs .

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 May 2021 14:45

Snowflake Royal
Once upon a time . My understanding of FFP is obviously lacking ! How come in the Premiership if you have wealthy owners , you are at a big advantage , yet our owners who are wealthy and have been generous towards the club doesn’t appear to give us cover against FFP sanctions ?

The rules aren't necessarily the same in FL and PL. They're different bodies.

Also the income is colossal and helps finance debt easier.

Though the debts would likely be higher.

Interested to know what the differences are, FFP wise, between the PL and FL, you'd think it'd be the same basic principle for all divisions just with different thresholds.

2091 posts