Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by Schards#2 » 14 Sep 2008 10:09

I think we need to get used to mid table championship football at the very best until there is a sea change at this club.

Madejski - clearly, his heart is not in it to the extent it was previously. He would love to sell out but can't find a buyer. He will keep the club sound and stable but has no intention of investing further funds or trying to push the club forwards.

Coppell - if the spirit of the championship had survived, he would definately have been the right man for the job, but it hasn't. The chairman is not fully behind it anymore, many players have left to pursue their own self interest and many still here would like to leave. The golden team has long gone and we have to move on and build a new team. Coppell doesn't, IMHO, have the hunger to do this.

Whilst not being a member of the carpark squad, I applauded their actions as, at the time it was the right thing to do. Had we known that the spirit of the championship side was already totally dead, in hindsight, we should have let Coppell go and started afresh.

As for Madejski, there are some on here who would happily see us drift downwards whilst improving/maintaining our balance sheet in the belief that the rest of football will meltdown around us and we will emerge as one of the last men standing. They are rather like people who build nuclear bunkers in their back garden. Much as I admire and appreciete what Madejski has done, I don't see how the club can go forward with him at the helm and would now like to see someone new who wants to move things forward.

Can't see either leaving anytime soon so supporting Reading's going to be a whole lot duller and uninspiring than in recent years :cry:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by winchester_royal » 14 Sep 2008 10:10

Get a grip.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 14 Sep 2008 10:29

Au Contraire, the squad has received the freshening up it needed from last year. However, given the inexperience of the academy players, we shouldnt expect much away from home. This will obviously point to a final league position down the table, but we've shown progress of a sort.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 14 Sep 2008 10:49

Hardly. £13 million sold, £1.5 million bought is not a freshening up, it's a firesale.

The young players have been picked out of neccesity rather than out of a desire to make them first team regulars. I fully expect to see them out of the squad within two weeks barring further injuries.

I could live with mid table finish if we were rebuilding a team for the future but we are not. A mid table finish this year is a continuation of a downward drift and gradual erosion of our dream team rather than a first step for a growing new side. A totally wasted season that simply puts any genuine stab at a return to the prem back twelve months.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Sep 2008 11:23

We do seem to have a team full of homers. Just cant perform away from home.
But at home we look good enough for the playoffs! So hold off on the doom. Hunt for long, and bikey in the team somewhere, along with marek and we can improve.
Just need this away business sorted and quickly.
Because we are too lightweight and insipid.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2008 11:29

Schards#2 Hardly. £13 million sold, £1.5 million bought is not a freshening up, it's a firesale.

The young players have been picked out of neccesity rather than out of a desire to make them first team regulars. I fully expect to see them out of the squad within two weeks barring further injuries.

I could live with mid table finish if we were rebuilding a team for the future but we are not. A mid table finish this year is a continuation of a downward drift and gradual erosion of our dream team rather than a first step for a growing new side. A totally wasted season that simply puts any genuine stab at a return to the prem back twelve months.

4 out, 2 of which certainly wanted out and another who spent almost an entire season out injured is NOT a firesale by any stretch of the imagination.

A firesale would have involved at least Doyle and Harper going as well. Probably Hunt and a couple of others too, for it to really count.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 14 Sep 2008 11:45

Watched MoTD first and became conditioned to seeing full commitment and then watched the Ipswich goals on The Chumpionship and you can see starightaway what's wrong with Harper, et al, holding off. Some players just don't want to be here. Agree with your analysis Schards - like the analogies too.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 14 Sep 2008 11:48

This topic is ridiculous.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Sep 2008 11:52

readingbedding This topic is ridiculous.

Don't be silly. It makes perfect sense. When we beat Palace two weeks ago we were certs for automatic promotion. It's only natural that when we lose an away game everything is disastrous and we have no future.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Sep 2008 11:54

Dirk Gently
readingbedding This topic is ridiculous.

Don't be silly. It makes perfect sense. When we beat Palace two weeks ago we were certs for automatic promotion. It's only natural that when we lose an away game everything is disastrous and we have no future.

Quite.

The fickleness of some fans does amaze me.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 14 Sep 2008 12:00

Red wine on a Sunday morning is a bad idea right?

Is supporting a football club really like this these days?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 14 Sep 2008 12:18

Schards#2 Coppell - if the spirit of the championship had survived, he would definately have been the right man for the job, but it hasn't. The chairman is not fully behind it anymore, many players have left to pursue their own self interest and many still here would like to leave. The golden team has long gone and we have to move on and build a new team. Coppell doesn't, IMHO, have the hunger to do this.

Whilst not being a member of the carpark squad, I applauded their actions as, at the time it was the right thing to do. Had we known that the spirit of the championship side was already totally dead, in hindsight, we should have let Coppell go and started afresh.

Getting rid of Coppell would have meant an even bigger fire sale and bottom half.

Look at how many of the clubs above us have new managers put in place before the season started

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Sep 2008 12:38

Dirk Gently Don't be silly. It makes perfect sense. When we beat Palace two weeks ago we were certs for automatic promotion.

Hands up all those who thought after the Palace game that we were certs for promotion? No, me neither. That game said more about Palace's defensive frailties than it did our promotion prospects; basically, if Palace hadn't defended corners like a Sunday League side we would have lost a match which we dominated.

As usual Schards has got it pretty much spot on to be quite honest; a good barometer for a decent, truthful posting on HNA is whether Reading Bedding & winchester_royal disagree with it.

This season: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sQXsuAey-NE

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 14 Sep 2008 12:39

the problem is the firesale didn't go far enough, because no-one wanted the hopeless harper.

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 14 Sep 2008 12:44

Quite frankly, Schards is right, albeit 18 months a bit too slow to realise.

After 06/07 anyone that thinks progress was going to be made was seriously deluded. The club will go no where, maybe yo yo every few seasons. Great. :roll:

RFC's best days are behind them.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Sep 2008 12:45

Not many hopeless midfielders score 6 goals in one season. In the Premiership.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 14 Sep 2008 12:47

floyd__streete
Dirk Gently Don't be silly. It makes perfect sense. When we beat Palace two weeks ago we were certs for automatic promotion.

Hands up all those who thought after the Palace game that we were certs for promotion? No, me neither. That game said more about Palace's defensive frailties than it did our promotion prospects; basically, if Palace hadn't defended corners like a Sunday League side we would have lost a match which we dominated.

As usual Schards has got it pretty much spot on to be quite honest; a good barometer for a decent, truthful posting on HNA is whether Reading Bedding & winchester_royal disagree with it.

This season: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sQXsuAey-NE

I agree, let's have a truthful retrospective of this season's fortunes on the 14/09.08.
No one knows what's going to happen, personally, at the moment you could say we're inconsistent.
If we win, it's because the other team was rubbish, and if we lose it's because we're rubbish.
Is that right?
Last edited by readingbedding on 16 Sep 2008 23:51, edited 2 times in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 14 Sep 2008 12:47

mini _dariusz Quite frankly, Schards is right, albeit 18 months a bit too slow to realise.

After 06/07 anyone that thinks progress was going to be made was seriously deluded. The club will go no where, maybe yo yo every few seasons. Great. :roll:

Best days?
What do you mean?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Sep 2008 12:48

readingbedding
mini _dariusz Quite frankly, Schards is right, albeit 18 months a bit too slow to realise.

Best days?
What do you mean?

The day we beat Preston away to the day we beat Everton at home. Our "best days".

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Sep 2008 12:49

And the Simod Cup win ofc.

2091 posts