Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by melonhead » 20 Apr 2012 10:05

apart from the fact the last 3 years have been anything but dull, or uninspiring, schards was right

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 20 Apr 2012 10:09

melonhead apart from the fact the last 3 years have been anything but dull, or uninspiring, schards was right

Agreed.

So, we're all voilently agreeing here?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Apr 2012 10:14

yes, i agree
and ill defend my right to agree with any of you with my fucvking life

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 10:15

When people watch a match, they tnd to see what they want to see. The best threads on here are the 'Back from the Game' ones. I'm not ashamed to say that I don't see as many matches as I would want (have you any idea what it's like raising the profile of Reading in Switzerland where most people have never heard of the town, let alone the football club?) but when I do, I always look at the BftG thread to see other people's views on it. The first game I saw this season was the Palace away game. Now, I thought it was a good game and we were unlucky to not win. A lot of the comments were about us not taking chances etc, and that Karacan would never make a great footballer as all he did was run about a lot. I thought he was our best player on the day.

This thing about us grinding out results almost by luck makes me laugh a bit. A football team isn't just about attack, the best and most successful teams have the best defences, and that's us this season. It has proved to be successful and it can't be down to luck when we win most of our games. I've read a lot on here about how dull the football's been this season. The games I've seen are Palace, Millwall (a), Pompey (h), Blackpool (h), W Ham (a) plus whateever games have been on TV. If I was a neutral, I might have thought how dull they were, but I'm not and I saw Reading stop (fairly) other teams playing and deservedly winning. The style we've played this season has been so successful that Chelsea copied it and used it to good effect against Barcelona.

In my opinion, we have every reason to be optimistic about our progress for the foreseeable future.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Apr 2012 10:17

The style we've played this season has been so successful that Chelsea copied it and used it to good effect against Barcelona.

i thought that when i watched that game.

seems we are set up perfectly to match the best in the world :wink:

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 10:22

melonhead
The style we've played this season has been so successful that Chelsea copied it and used it to good effect against Barcelona.

i thought that when i watched that game.

seems we are set up perfectly to match the best in the world :wink:

Brian should charge Di Matteo for Royalties. (Do you see what I did there?)

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Apr 2012 10:23

yes, and i wish i hadnt

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 10:24

:D :D

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 20 Apr 2012 10:26

melonhead yes, i agree
and ill defend my right to agree with any of you with my fucvking life

A noble gesture sir!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 20 Apr 2012 10:31

Hampshire Royal In my opinion, we have every reason to be optimistic about our progress for the foreseeable future.

Anybody would there had been a sea change at the club.

Seriously folks, I know they say the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about but this is becoming ridiculous. Having argued that I didn't think now was the best time to be debating this for the 100th time, I was forced to respond by post after post, and then slagged off for starting this argument again :roll:

There was a post mortem in February as, at that time, a sea change had happened and so it was no longer hard to see progress for the forseeable future, I would have thought that would have finally put this to bed but, no, it seems, some 4 years later, people are still fretting about this for some reason.

As many seem to agree, taking into account the intervening 4 years, it's proven to be pretty accurate and has been franked by the subsequent upturn in fortunes. "Mid table Championship team at best" proved to be overly pessimistic looking at the finishing positions, however, even then, for much of the past two seasons we have been midtable before a late surge. I would certainly rank it over anything Nostrodamus put out there.

In 106 pages, anything that can be said has been said, I simply don't see the point in going over the same ground over and over again, agree/disagree, I really don't care. If you don't agree, fine, get over it but relentlessly droning on about is not only uninspiring but also desperately dull.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 10:34

106, 106, we've got the record 106

Well, it's actually 104, but this is such good fun that it will probably reach 106 pretty quickly.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 20 Apr 2012 11:14

Schards#2
Hampshire Royal In my opinion, we have every reason to be optimistic about our progress for the foreseeable future.

Quoting a word from Shakespeare doesn't really help you.

Last year we finished up in the play-off final. Wasn't any sea-change back then and I was still optimistic. And despite the impending takeover, we've been told that things will operate as they've always done before.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 11:16

So have we concluded that Schards was pretty much right?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 12:02

Don't be silly, YR.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 20 Apr 2012 12:05

Yorkshire Royal So have we concluded that Schards was pretty much right?

No, he was right on some and he was wrong on some.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 20 Apr 2012 12:14

Royal Lady Yes, Schards was wrong.......

Rug-oh. Wouldn't want to be in Lambrusco Towers when Schards gets home tonight

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 12:18

:D :D

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 12:34

SpaceCruiser

He was mostly right though, wasn't he?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 20 Apr 2012 12:55

Yorkshire Royal
SpaceCruiser

He was mostly right though, wasn't he?

He was right about the bit's that he has been proved right on.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Apr 2012 13:19

Schards#2

Seriously folks, I know they say the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about but this is becoming ridiculous. Having argued that I didn't think now was the best time to be debating this for the 100th time, I was forced to respond by post after post, and then slagged off for starting this argument again :roll:

There was a post mortem in February as, at that time, a sea change had happened and so it was no longer hard to see progress for the forseeable future, I would have thought that would have finally put this to bed but, no, it seems, some 4 years later, people are still fretting about this for some reason.

As many seem to agree, taking into account the intervening 4 years, it's proven to be pretty accurate and has been franked by the subsequent upturn in fortunes. "Mid table Championship team at best" proved to be overly pessimistic looking at the finishing positions, however, even then, for much of the past two seasons we have been midtable before a late surge. I would certainly rank it over anything Nostrodamus put out there.

In 106 pages, anything that can be said has been said, I simply don't see the point in going over the same ground over and over again, agree/disagree, I really don't care. If you don't agree, fine, get over it but relentlessly droning on about is not only uninspiring but also desperately dull.

Hats off to you for being spot on. People here HATE it when someone sticks their neck out against the grain and is proven overwhelmingly right. I got the same when before his appointment I said Coppell would be a legend when people either attacked or stayed silent.

Madejski even agrees with you which is why he wanted to sell. Him stating his intent to sell and finding a buyer was that sea change I for one was praying for. We may have been lucky and won the playoffs but with Madejski at the helm it would be a pointless task in the Prem, by his own admission. In comes the sea change of a new owner, in came Roberts, up we go and now we have the *chance* of doing something once up.

Of course new owner may be a cock. Of course he may end up doing a Portsmouth to us. But with Madejski we knew there could be no progress and now there might be. So as you said, 100% spot on, there was no foreseeable progress without that change. Now it's happened and now even the Rectum Crew (who must be more than embarrassed after even Madejski agrees with you) can look to the future with a glimmer of hope for once.

For the first time in a few years I'm excited to be a Royal again. And all thanks to the genius that is Sir John for bringing us this far then realising his limits and bringing about the change we need. We need a statue of this great man.

2091 posts