Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by readingbedding » 14 Sep 2008 15:47

Is there anything you, or anyone can do about this perceived lapse?
Is it terminal?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Sep 2008 15:48

Archie's penalty
Chaney watching Stoke play today, they look good, strong in most departments and that lethal weapon of Delaps long throws, they should stay up on that performance, the difference between them and us is that have invested in their future, signed virtually a whole new team, how can we see any progress in our future when team like them with a very simular stature to us know what to do when you get promoted, we have probably been as high as I will ever see us go..unless of course that lying tight arse mr Mad leaves

Stoke looked strong but there's no guarantee they'll stay up at all.

It's all about the long ball. Like Watford in the year we came 8th...

That ignores one key factor.

Watford with a fit Marlon King >>> Watford without Marlon King

I think they'd have made a better stab at survival if he'd been fit. I think they would have still gone down, as most promoted clubs do, but they'd have made more of a fight of it.
Last edited by papereyes on 14 Sep 2008 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Sep 2008 15:53

papereyes
SCIAG One could argue Fulham only became better than us on Bullard and McBride's return because Little was injured.

Maybe, but Little was out all season and we decided not to strengthen that position (in fact, we went so far as to weaken it in August with the knowledge that Little was injured), so any argument on that basis is, imo, nullified by what the club's actions.

And even if you decided to argue it, knowing that you'd probably fail, it still falls into this "we don't have to act" mindset that surely has been shown to be severely flawed.

We signed Kebe...

Also, hindsight is a wonderful thing. We could have signed a right winger, and Little could have regained fitness in October. Result? New guy sits on bench, Oster and Henry further away from the first team. Same situation if we kept Seol. In January it looked like Little would be fit any day, Kebe was signed to "plug a gap", and if Little had regained fitness earlier we'd've been better off. Did Fulham try to replace Bullard? Not really. They tried to replace McBride, but failed miserably. It largely comes down to luck in the end.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 14 Sep 2008 16:06

SCIAG
papereyes
SCIAG One could argue Fulham only became better than us on Bullard and McBride's return because Little was injured.

Maybe, but Little was out all season and we decided not to strengthen that position (in fact, we went so far as to weaken it in August with the knowledge that Little was injured), so any argument on that basis is, imo, nullified by what the club's actions.

And even if you decided to argue it, knowing that you'd probably fail, it still falls into this "we don't have to act" mindset that surely has been shown to be severely flawed.

We signed Kebe...

Also, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Oh, FFS. No, I and most people regardless of overall views were saying this last August. Little was injured and we'd already had one "he'll be fit soon"/"oh, bugger, its gone awkward again" story by then. Little's absence was only an issue because we did nothing to cover for it and, as stated, acted in such a manner to make the situation worse.

As for Fulham, it was also stated on this portal that once Bullard was fit, their results would improve. What a surprise that when he does return to fitness, their results started to improve.

Almost nothing in football boils down to luck. A good manager anticipates problems that could arise while a good football club builds a squad that can cope with all but the worst injury crisis.

It isn't luck that turns Little's injury into something that keeps him out for a few months into one that limits him to two or three appearances in a year.
It isn't luck that means that we played 11 different players at right midfield, all bar one or two exciting cameos equally mediocre.
It isn't luck that decides not to make more of the cameo appearances made in that position. You can make comments about Henry being further away from the first team but given that even Oster is out of his way, he's still about as far from making a league start as he was.

It largely comes down to luck in the end.

So there was absolutely no path of action, within our budget, that could have improved our hopes last season? We simply had to rely on there being "three worse teams"? Is that really what you think?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 14 Sep 2008 16:09

Schards#2
Dirk Gently
readingbedding This topic is ridiculous.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Don't be silly. It makes perfect sense. When we beat Palace two weeks ago we were certs for automatic promotion. It's only natural that when we lose an away game everything is disastrous and we have no future.

Your comment is only valid if it's the same posters saying we are certs for promotion when we win and it's disasterous when we lose.

It isn't

But what if he says it enough times ?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Sep 2008 16:54

papereyes
Archie's penalty
Chaney watching Stoke play today, they look good, strong in most departments and that lethal weapon of Delaps long throws, they should stay up on that performance, the difference between them and us is that have invested in their future, signed virtually a whole new team, how can we see any progress in our future when team like them with a very simular stature to us know what to do when you get promoted, we have probably been as high as I will ever see us go..unless of course that lying tight arse mr Mad leaves

Stoke looked strong but there's no guarantee they'll stay up at all.

It's all about the long ball. Like Watford in the year we came 8th...

That ignores one key factor.

Watford with a fit Marlon King >>> Watford without Marlon King

I think they'd have made a better stab at survival if he'd been fit. I think they would have still gone down, as most promoted clubs do, but they'd have made more of a fight of it.

Yep I agree.

Stoke still are ridiculously direct though.

I am cheering on West Brom out of the newly promoted teams. They play football the right way and deserved to win the championship by a country mile last time around.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 14 Sep 2008 17:15

Schards#2 I think we need to get used to mid table championship football at the very best until there is a sea change at this club.

Madejski - clearly, his heart is not in it to the extent it was previously. He would love to sell out but can't find a buyer. He will keep the club sound and stable but has no intention of investing further funds or trying to push the club forwards.

Coppell - if the spirit of the championship had survived, he would definately have been the right man for the job, but it hasn't. The chairman is not fully behind it anymore, many players have left to pursue their own self interest and many still here would like to leave. The golden team has long gone and we have to move on and build a new team. Coppell doesn't, IMHO, have the hunger to do this.

Whilst not being a member of the carpark squad, I applauded their actions as, at the time it was the right thing to do. Had we known that the spirit of the championship side was already totally dead, in hindsight, we should have let Coppell go and started afresh.

As for Madejski, there are some on here who would happily see us drift downwards whilst improving/maintaining our balance sheet in the belief that the rest of football will meltdown around us and we will emerge as one of the last men standing. They are rather like people who build nuclear bunkers in their back garden. Much as I admire and appreciete what Madejski has done, I don't see how the club can go forward with him at the helm and would now like to see someone new who wants to move things forward.

Can't see either leaving anytime soon so supporting Reading's going to be a whole lot duller and uninspiring than in recent years :cry:

Agree with all except the Madejski part. I suspect the money was there to be spent - it's just that Mr Loyalty was too blinkered to spend it.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 14 Sep 2008 17:15

Yeah...the criminal.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 14 Sep 2008 17:18

readingbedding Yeah...the criminal.

WTF?

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 14 Sep 2008 17:26

Avon Royal
Schards#2 I think we need to get used to mid table championship football at the very best until there is a sea change at this club.

Madejski - clearly, his heart is not in it to the extent it was previously. He would love to sell out but can't find a buyer. He will keep the club sound and stable but has no intention of investing further funds or trying to push the club forwards.

Coppell - if the spirit of the championship had survived, he would definately have been the right man for the job, but it hasn't. The chairman is not fully behind it anymore, many players have left to pursue their own self interest and many still here would like to leave. The golden team has long gone and we have to move on and build a new team. Coppell doesn't, IMHO, have the hunger to do this.

Whilst not being a member of the carpark squad, I applauded their actions as, at the time it was the right thing to do. Had we known that the spirit of the championship side was already totally dead, in hindsight, we should have let Coppell go and started afresh.

As for Madejski, there are some on here who would happily see us drift downwards whilst improving/maintaining our balance sheet in the belief that the rest of football will meltdown around us and we will emerge as one of the last men standing. They are rather like people who build nuclear bunkers in their back garden. Much as I admire and appreciete what Madejski has done, I don't see how the club can go forward with him at the helm and would now like to see someone new who wants to move things forward.

Can't see either leaving anytime soon so supporting Reading's going to be a whole lot duller and uninspiring than in recent years :cry:

Agree with all except the Madejski part. I suspect the money was there to be spent - it's just that Mr Loyalty was too blinkered to spend it.

I agree with Schards, I syuspect the cash wasnt there - thats why egomaniac was bleating on the radio nand in the papers that the barrel was dry! How can cash be there when he's saying it wasnt!

Also I think egomaniac wants it both ways - he complains that wages ans transfer fees are too high, but Id guess that his value on the club to gain a sale is far too high as well- if it wasnt we would of had interested parties ! He needs to be consistent in whats he says and shows that in his actions! Sooner he's gone the sooner club can move forwards

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 14 Sep 2008 17:26

SCIAG
papereyes

It largely comes down to luck in the end.

No it doesn't.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Sep 2008 17:43

mini _dariusz Quite frankly, Schards is right, albeit 18 months a bit too slow to realise.

After 06/07 anyone that thinks progress was going to be made was seriously deluded. The club will go no where, maybe yo yo every few seasons. Great. :roll:

RFC's best days are behind them.

yoyoing is progress

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 14 Sep 2008 17:44

brendywendy
mini _dariusz Quite frankly, Schards is right, albeit 18 months a bit too slow to realise.

After 06/07 anyone that thinks progress was going to be made was seriously deluded. The club will go no where, maybe yo yo every few seasons. Great. :roll:

yoyoing is progress

Genius, might get that printed on a T-shirt.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Sep 2008 17:44

howser The calls for the mangers head that are increasing daily while the expected response from disollusioned supporters are futile as no creditable manager would come to a club with such minimalisitic plans and ambitions for the next forthcoming seasons. We have to accept that under the present ownership that we are where we are going to stay.

As if it's going to be anyone other than Dillon if Madejski is still the owner.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Sep 2008 17:44

Unless we yo-yo between the Championship and Div 1.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 Sep 2008 17:45

Watching Stoke today reminded me that, even when they play at probaly close to their best, they stuill didn't win, against a team not playing at their best. When they don't achieve that standard, they'll get beaten. They're still going down.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Sep 2008 17:46

Platypuss
howser The calls for the mangers head that are increasing daily while the expected response from disollusioned supporters are futile as no creditable manager would come to a club with such minimalisitic plans and ambitions for the next forthcoming seasons. We have to accept that under the present ownership that we are where we are going to stay.

Murts?

On a slightly more serious note, Parky?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 14 Sep 2008 17:46

Platypuss

That's just nonsense and you know it!

It could be Wally...............

Cookie

by Cookie » 14 Sep 2008 17:48

carpark squad :lol:

Maybe we should have had a few of them on the bench!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Sep 2008 17:53

Avon Royal
brendywendy

yoyoing is progress

Genius, might get that printed on a T-shirt.

anyone who thinks it isnt is delusional

2091 posts