Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
Samrfc01

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by Samrfc01 » 14 Sep 2008 21:37

Being a yo-yo club would definately be a step up for us. But, at the moemnt, we are ging to be far off that.
Our away form is abysmal and we are relying on our home form ( which is surprisingly good).

Why is our away form so bad tho?
Yes i know we are likely to perform slightly worse than at home but its like watching 2 different teams

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Sep 2008 21:41

Norfolk Royal
Platypuss
Norfolk Royal Eh? Wolves have been in the championship since neolithic times haven't they?

Well, since 2003/4, anyway. I seem to remember a certain play-off run they had.

OK fair enough, but once in about 20 odd years is more of a squashed ping-pong ball than a yo-yo.

Given that they were in the bottom tier more recently than we were, I'm thinking 'partially filled balloon'.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 Sep 2008 22:32

howser We are at the moment safe in the championship.

3 points above a relegation spot? OK its only mid September but seeing Premiership Years for last season on Sky a few nights back and at times the league table looked really good.

What worries me is that it took Coppell a long time to realise changes were needed last season. This last defeat and he says changes are needed. Just dont expect a knee jerk reaction as he doesnt do them. One or two at the most will change.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Sep 2008 22:35

Terminal Boardom
howser We are at the moment safe in the championship.

3 points above a relegation spot? OK its only mid September but seeing Premiership Years for last season on Sky a few nights back and at times the league table looked really good.

I don't think it ever did. One look at our Jan and Feb would have sent the fear of god into you.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Sep 2008 23:46

Samrfc01 Why is our away form so bad tho?

Because we don't have a central midfielder a la Sids...and we haven't had for about 2 years even though he was supposedly 'replaceable'.

And we don't have a quality tall striker for when we hoof it...which we do away from home.

And we haven't even hit the cold weather/bad pitches of Winter up norfff yet.

We're now in physical division, but we aren't a physical side. We are lightweight. If we're going to make any hay on the road this season, it should be now. But we aren't.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 14 Sep 2008 23:53, edited 2 times in total.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Sep 2008 23:49

Denver Royal
Samrfc01 Why is our away form so bad tho?

Because we don't have a central midfielder a la Sids...and we haven't had for about 2 years even though he was supposedly 'replaceable'.

And we haven't even hit the cold weather/bad pitches of Winter up norfff yet.

I still can't believe Coppell didn't get anyone in during the summer.

Matejovsky and Harper will not be strong enough for the battle in this league.

2000 again! Yay!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Sep 2008 08:17

Royalwaster
mini _dariusz To put it in simple terms, the achievements RFC made during the 2005/2006 and 06/07 seasons won't be bettered. Therefore you are living in hope of seeibng something not as good as you have already witnessed.

Dead end club, like every other yo yo club.........

If that's your attitude go and support someone like Chelsea or ManUtd - where were you when we were in Div2 etc.? Dead-end club?! We've had the most amazing success over the last 3 seasons - and this season we might have to get used to other doing better than us. So what? We're financially very sound, we've got a good academy, with players starting to come through, we've got a great stadium, just shame about some of the fickle fans.

Because, of course, living on your past achievements contributes so much to ensuring your future success! :twisted:

What's more, last year was amazingly successful wasn't it! (cue crap about it being our second highest ever finish!). :twisted:

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 Sep 2008 08:23

Samrfc01 Being a yo-yo club would definately be a step up for us. But, at the moemnt, we are ging to be far off that.
Our away form is abysmal and we are relying on our home form ( which is surprisingly good).

Why is our away form so bad tho?
Yes i know we are likely to perform slightly worse than at home but its like watching 2 different teams

All down to confidence.

Away we have none. Blame squarely at the door of Mr Motivator.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 15 Sep 2008 08:34

Schards#2 I think we need to get used to mid table championship football at the very best until there is a sea change at this club.

Madejski - clearly, his heart is not in it to the extent it was previously. He would love to sell out but can't find a buyer. He will keep the club sound and stable but has no intention of investing further funds or trying to push the club forwards.

Coppell - if the spirit of the championship had survived, he would definately have been the right man for the job, but it hasn't. The chairman is not fully behind it anymore, many players have left to pursue their own self interest and many still here would like to leave. The golden team has long gone and we have to move on and build a new team. Coppell doesn't, IMHO, have the hunger to do this.

Whilst not being a member of the carpark squad, I applauded their actions as, at the time it was the right thing to do. Had we known that the spirit of the championship side was already totally dead, in hindsight, we should have let Coppell go and started afresh.

As for Madejski, there are some on here who would happily see us drift downwards whilst improving/maintaining our balance sheet in the belief that the rest of football will meltdown around us and we will emerge as one of the last men standing. They are rather like people who build nuclear bunkers in their back garden. Much as I admire and appreciete what Madejski has done, I don't see how the club can go forward with him at the helm and would now like to see someone new who wants to move things forward.

Can't see either leaving anytime soon so supporting Reading's going to be a whole lot duller and uninspiring than in recent years :cry:

Couldn't agree more Schards.

I too am a big fan of Steve Coppell and I backed the guys and gals that went out of their way to show Coppell we wanted him to stay, but I wonder should we have let him start a fresh?

He hasn't become a bad manager over night, of course not, but yes, his hunger is questionable and so is his continued loyalty to some members of that squad.

It almost feels like we need someone to come in and shake the team up. Shout at them, scream at them, make them work hard for their place again.

The team is so paper thin it almost picks itself.

I just wonder if a new manager with new ideas, hunger, enthusiasm and the ability to look at the squad with a fresh pair of eyes, would that have been best? I'm starting to think yes it would have.

I love what SC has done for this football club. It's still almost unbelievable when you look at those three seasons, but I am starting to think change is needed. I'll hate the day he leaves though, but do wonder if it's what we need now.

The chairman? You're spot on. No need to add to that.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Sep 2008 08:36

Deathy The team is so paper thin it almost picks itself.

Disagree there. Plenty of players and plenty of cover in most positions. Shame they're just all so unremittingly average.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Sep 2008 09:02

Schards#2
Wycombe Royal
Schards#2 Hardly. £13 million sold, £1.5 million bought is not a freshening up, it's a firesale.

Do you know what a fire sale is? Obviously not so I'll help you:

fire sale - a sale of assets at very low prices typically when the seller faces bankruptcy

Do you still think it was a fire sale?

When players "turn on a sixpence", there isn't actually a sixpence there.

Don't be so stupid and I would expect more from you.

I gave you the definition of a firesale and neither part of it fits in with Reading.

1) We haven't sold players on the cheap, if anything we have got more than they are worth.
2) We are not facing bankruptcy

You are just using key words that you think heighten your argument even if they are totally inappropriate and have very little relevance.

Yes we have sold assets but but we haven't sold many assets and we have got more than a fair price for them.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 15 Sep 2008 09:23

Yo, ma Bluds.

I is thinking wiv 'ad 2 yo's of the yo-yo already.
If we go up dis season that'll be yo, yo, yo.
When we go down the season after we'll have a full yo, yo, yo, yo set.

Relax, yo?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Sep 2008 09:44

This is a ridiculous thread and I agree with Wycombe that we haven't had a "firesale". Absolutely ridiculous from an unremittingly negative poster like Schards. I don't call 4 players out for a few million a "firesale".

This will be my only post on this thread. Enjoy it.
Last edited by SpaceCruiser on 15 Sep 2008 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Sep 2008 09:45

SpaceCruiser This is a ridiculous thread and I agree with Wycombe that we haven't had a "firesale". Absolutely ridiculous from an unremittingly negative poster like Schards. I don't call 4 players for a few million out a "firesale".

Well there is some progress at least. 8)

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Sep 2008 09:57

Alan Partridge
SpaceCruiser This is a ridiculous thread and I agree with Wycombe that we haven't had a "firesale". Absolutely ridiculous from an unremittingly negative poster like Schards. I don't call 4 players for a few million out a "firesale".

Well there is some progress at least. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 15 Sep 2008 10:57

I have sat on the fence about the whole Madejski thing but what with the Ashley debacle and the darkening financial times it would be madness and terrible for the club if he were to leave...

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 15 Sep 2008 11:54

Mr Madjeski wont leave, it seems he has got the bank balance restructured from the Prem money, and lets be honest we are still not a known club that someone is going to come in and pay high money for.

There are a dozen clubs in and around us that have more potential, and thats what an investor in football looks for, not crowds of 24-000 and little history.

S'ton, Leicester, Coventry, either Sheff club, Forest, Wolves, WBA to name a few.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Sep 2008 11:58

The 17 Bus S'ton, Leicester, Coventry,

Hmmm, they've been in adminstration recently. I don't think investors would want to take on clubs that are heavily in debt.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 15 Sep 2008 12:01

And they come out almost debt free.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Sep 2008 12:05

SpaceCruiser
The 17 Bus S'ton, Leicester, Coventry,

Hmmm, they've been in adminstration recently. I don't think investors would want to take on clubs that are heavily in debt.

You sir, are a liar.

I will never believe anything you say ever again. :wink:

2091 posts