no coincidence

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Focher
Hob Nob Regular

no coincidence

by Focher » 22 Feb 2009 00:14

Bikey out the team and no creativity and no goals. Doobs and Pearce offer nothing to start an attack, and Rosenior finds himself feeling he has to cover the back as he's the only one with any kind of pace so does not get forward. Bikey is the answer, we will still go up, and ive had a bottle of wine.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

Re: no coincidence

by SLAMMED » 22 Feb 2009 00:16

+1, i think we miss Bikey. We also need the old Shunt back.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 22 Feb 2009 00:58

I like Bikey a lot, he's got a lot of things really going for him but the clamour for his return i find is a classic case of 'absence making the heart grow fonder'. Shortly before he was replaced in the side he was really really poor. I think saying him playing would have such a massive impact is probably wrong. Before today the defense have done very well, clean sheets in lots of games but if you aren't scoring it's only a matter of time until the defense leaks a couple.

I wouldn't replace Duberry, I'd make him captain replacing the gutless pathetic Harper. I would possibly consider replacing Pearce with Bikey but again i feel that would be harsh on Pearce who before today has been playing well.

Cookie

by Cookie » 22 Feb 2009 01:46

Focher and ive had a bottle of wine.

I can tell. :lol:

But I too like Bikey he's class.

statto

by statto » 22 Feb 2009 08:24

I'm a massive fan of Bikey.

A lot of people on here like Duberry because he "does his job" which is obviously to defend.

However, those people fail to see him and Pearce repeatedly give the ball back to the opposition when they are in possession.

This is a massive problem most people don't see.

Bikey would've dealt with Adebola better yesterday as well.

Good teams have centre backs who can play a bit, as well as being good defenders.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 22 Feb 2009 08:30

I think the absence of Bikey has played a part in our lack of creativity. Bikey is comfortable on the ball and can pass it whereas Pearce and Duberry are far more inclined to hoof it even when not particularly under pressure. As a result, we are constantly conceding possession and the forwards are exhausted competing for these hit and hopes.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 22 Feb 2009 09:02

Bikey at least controls the ball and takes a run with it,looking for options. Doobs is an old fashioned like it and lump it player.
Doobs easing pressure by lumping the ball is fine if we had control in midfield - which we clearly do not have. The pressure is then eased for a couple of minutes until the opposition come right back at us after a series of volleyball antics.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 22 Feb 2009 09:26

I am in the Bikey camp. Holding the ball for a bit longer to examine options might, just might, cast a few doubts into the minds of a five-man midfield. "Should we try to close down or retreat? Mixing the options creates uncertainty. The hoof is meat and drink to a defensive lineup.
I would also try a Matejovsky/ Gunnarsson combination, with Bryn as the 'water carrier'.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 22 Feb 2009 09:36

Agreed. Bikey could be one of the best defenders in the league, and a top class one in the Premiership.
I was shocked when I heard that Stoke had bought Sonko and not Bikey.
Shocked, but definitely relieved.
I'd love a Pearce/Bikey partnership at the back, but that may be too inexperienced.

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 22 Feb 2009 11:40

While I agree that Duberry's distribution isn't the best, I also think he is being given very few options at the moment.

I can't think of too many occasions yesterday when Federici had the opportunity to get rid of the ball early to set up an attack. And that is not purely down to the opposition "doing a job" on him. No-one is making space for themselves.

The_Cat

by The_Cat » 22 Feb 2009 13:25

SLAMMED We also need the old Shunt back.

He's just as bad as this one!

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 22 Feb 2009 13:54

doobs is in my opinion one of our best players at the moment, pearce is also solid but his distribution is woeful. id go with doobs and bikey as i rate doobs a lot more higher than pearce.

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 22 Feb 2009 14:37

The_Cat
SLAMMED We also need the old Shunt back.

He's just as bad as this one!

Not entirely true, he used to do a fair few assists for goals...in case you've forgotten. But definitely think that Hunt currently deserves to be warming the subs bench. Effort still 100% but final ball woeful. And given that he's undoubtedly earning big cash from his new contract, a little reminder of what he should be doing wouldn't go amiss.

Edit: Agree with Hughsie that Doobs is not doing a bad job at all, and love the bloke's personality too. Don't think our defence is the big problem at the mo.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 22 Feb 2009 14:42

Bikey also adds a far great threat from set pieces than Duberry and Pearce, people forget how important set pieces were in our early season form.

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 22 Feb 2009 14:45

rhroyal Bikey also adds a far great threat from set pieces than Duberry and Pearce, people forget how important set pieces were in our early season form.

Not true, every time I see Hunt/Harps spoon another corner too far/too high/short I farking remember :wink:

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1