New Signings ?

773 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New Signings ?

by Stranded » 03 Jul 2009 08:45

The bid has come from Sheff Utd.

Rodgers was very clear that he would get his man in the Post this morning so I guess we'll see just how keen we are.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 03 Jul 2009 08:47

Stranded The bid has come from Sheff Utd.

Rodgers was very clear that he would get his man in the Post this morning so I guess we'll see just how keen we are.

A more realistic bid/price in the current market considering his goals/assists last season. In my view 750K was a derisory offer but what can you expect from Mr Mad these days!!

toppy
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by toppy » 03 Jul 2009 08:50

Watford have accepted a £1.8m bid from Sheffield United for their player of the year Tommy Smith, 28. (The Sun)

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 03 Jul 2009 09:00

Rodgers will be told he can have the £1.8m but dont expect anymore transfer funds for the next 2 seasons - Chairman needs a reality check - and stop bleating on that the squad "is good enough" - if it was good enough we'd be back in premiership

No different to the Newcastle scenario -there squad was too good to go down? Well they went down so not good enough

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 03 Jul 2009 09:07

come on chairman, dont let him go to sheff utd

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 03 Jul 2009 09:58

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Rodgers will be told he can have the £1.8m but dont expect anymore transfer funds for the next 2 seasons - Chairman needs a reality check - and stop bleating on that the squad "is good enough" - if it was good enough we'd be back in premiership

No different to the Newcastle scenario -there squad was too good to go down? Well they went down so not good enough

Their squad was good enough, they just had lousy managers.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Jul 2009 09:59

Phew.

I must be the only person to be against this deal. £1.8million is a staggeringly ridiculous amount of money for someone like Tommy Smith. On the back of his first really decent season ever at the age of 29, when you sign the likes of Smith, in my opinion you are accepting that you are a Championship club for the foreseable future because he'd offer precisely nothing if Reading managed to get promoted. And all for £1.8million, good luck to Sheffield United with that.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 03 Jul 2009 10:06

i have nothing against paying 1.8 for the lad.

We'll still have a bit of money to spend when Hunt goes.

The guy got 17 goals (one less than Doyle) and 12 assists i think, in a struggling Watford team. Rodgers brought the best out of him and i'd be happy if he came here

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 03 Jul 2009 10:12

Tilehurst Mike

A more realistic bid/price in the current market considering his goals/assists last season. In my view 750K was a derisory offer but what can you expect from Mr Mad these days!!

I don't think Mr Mad puts the valuations on potential purchases. And without him, we might be contemplating a Blue Square derby with Oxford this season, so to blame him for our 'predicament' is quite frankly ridiculous. Anyway, Smith was valued at 1.6m last season. He had a good season, but he's 29, does tend to suffer from injuries and has a year left on his contract. I can't believe there are many teams around who would be prepared to pay more than Cardiff offered last season, less a percentage to allow for his impending Bosmanisation. I'd rather we look elsewhere than spend more than a million.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 03 Jul 2009 10:20

CMRoyal
Tilehurst Mike

I don't think Mr Mad puts the valuations on potential purchases. And without him, we might be contemplating a Blue Square derby with Oxford this season, so to blame him for our 'predicament' is quite frankly ridiculous. Anyway, Smith was valued at 1.6m last season. He had a good season, but he's 29, does tend to suffer from injuries and has a year left on his contract. I can't believe there are many teams around who would be prepared to pay more than Cardiff offered last season, less a percentage to allow for his impending Bosmanisation. I'd rather we look elsewhere than spend more than a million.

Agreed. It's not about the actual figures spent for me. I would like to see Reading sign playes proven in tis division but with room for improvement still, that bit of extra potential that can come in straight away and improve things but also would havea bit of a ? with regard to the Premiership which we are to believe is the place Reading want to be. The likes of Campbell Ryce would be one that immediately springs to mind and although it's too late now surman would have been. 2 lads proven to be good enough in this league but are in their early-mid 20's and still could have improvement left in them. Smith wasn't good enough for the Premiership in his prime years, he's now 29 years old, on the back of a few injuries and 1 very good season. We would know if Reading went up that he would offer next to nothing, would be a Clinton Morrison esque type of signing. The type of signing where you know you aren't going to do anything. And all for nearly £2million!

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 03 Jul 2009 10:21

CMRoyal
Tilehurst Mike

Was an injury prone Dave Kitson worth 5 million??

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Jul 2009 10:25

Royal Rebel More cahnce of growin
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY This will be a good measure of our ambition - will Egoman risk a nosebleed by breaking into a 7 figure transfer fee for the incumbent - or will we be feeding off Div 1/2 players for the foreseeable future??????

More chance of growing a 2nd head ! £50,000.00 Thats more like the kind of 7 figure sum we'll spend LOL

Muppets. This club has a set way of doing business. We do not pay over the odds for players who are not worth it. Wouldn't have any other way.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 03 Jul 2009 10:30

Tilehurst Mike
CMRoyal
Tilehurst Mike A more realistic bid/price in the current market considering his goals/assists last season. In my view 750K was a derisory offer but what can you expect from Mr Mad these days!!

Was an injury prone Dave Kitson worth 5 million??

No. What a great piece of business by us (slightly tainted by us getting him back on loan for a while, natch). Like taking a wad of notes out of the back pocket of a man just as he starts his run over the edge of Beachy Head. £5.5m for a player who'll never do anything ever again at the top level. Lovely jubbly. But like I say not many teams would be prepared to pay such money - who else other than Stoke were in for Kits? Would he have gone to them if he had a choice of more than one team?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 03 Jul 2009 10:32

Another player that would fit into the bill of proven but ? still, Priskin. How olds he? 23? Must have got nearly 15 in the end last year, ended it very strongly. Wouldn't mind that sort of fee for him, someone we might just get something more long term out of.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 03 Jul 2009 10:43

Alan Partridge Another player that would fit into the bill of proven but ? still, Priskin. How olds he? 23? Must have got nearly 15 in the end last year, ended it very strongly. Wouldn't mind that sort of fee for him, someone we might just get something more long term out of.

I agree with Priskin. Rodgers obviously knew how to work with him as he ended the season so well. Would much prefer us to sign him than Smith to be honest, he is only one year older then Shane Long so there is still room to improve him yet.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 03 Jul 2009 10:52

Alan Partridge

Phew.

I must be the only person to be against this deal. £1.8million is a staggeringly ridiculous amount of money for someone like Tommy Smith. On the back of his first really decent season ever at the age of 29, when you sign the likes of Smith, in my opinion you are accepting that you are a Championship club for the foreseable future because he'd offer precisely nothing if Reading managed to get promoted. And all for £1.8million, good luck to Sheffield United with that.

I hear what you are saying but i think we should refocus on possibly just looking for promotion now instead of WHAT IF we go up to the prem, worry about that when it happens

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 03 Jul 2009 10:55

winchester_royal
Royal Rebel More cahnce of growin
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY This will be a good measure of our ambition - will Egoman risk a nosebleed by breaking into a 7 figure transfer fee for the incumbent - or will we be feeding off Div 1/2 players for the foreseeable future??????

More chance of growing a 2nd head ! £50,000.00 Thats more like the kind of 7 figure sum we'll spend LOL

Muppets. This club has a set way of doing business. We do not pay over the odds for players who are not worth it. Wouldn't have any other way.

Errr Emerse Fae, Greg Halford??? No of course we dont

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 03 Jul 2009 10:59

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY
winchester_royal More chance of growing a 2nd head ! £50,000.00 Thats more like the kind of 7 figure sum we'll spend LOL

Errr Emerse Fae, Greg Halford??? No of course we dont

Surely the fact that we roughly broke even on these players shows that we probably had the valuations about right? Where we were wrong was thinking they'd fit our style and culture.

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 03 Jul 2009 12:28

loyalroyal4life
Alan Partridge

Phew.

I hear what you are saying but i think we should refocus on possibly just looking for promotion now instead of WHAT IF we go up to the prem, worry about that when it happens

I agree, I don't think he would cut it in the prem, but we are trying to get out of the championship - If that means that we spend £1.8m to get there, then so be it. If... if, we got there, we didn't strengthen again, (like last time) then it would be poor choice.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 03 Jul 2009 13:44

Today's Times confirms that Watford have accepted Reading's £1.8m bid for Tommy Smith. They have it in their "dead cert" category.

773 posts