Royal Monk

Re: Brick by Brick

by Royal Monk » 22 Aug 2009 18:46

i think your keyboard is broken buddy

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Aug 2009 19:35

Schards#2 Madejski has set out his stall to be a financially viable Championship/Div 1 team. Any success beyond that will be a pleasant surprise to him. If you're happy with that paucity of ambition, good luck to you.

Yeah - damn that Madejski, I wish he had the sort of ambition that Peter Risdale had at Leeds.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 22 Aug 2009 19:37

No one is calling for boom or bust tactics like Leeds had and I'd be the first to speak up if we were paying the like of Seth Johnson £37k a week!

But it doesn't take Carol Vorderman to work out that we've brought in a phenonemal amount of dough since 05/06 - including now as we're in our last season of parachute payments - and where has it been invested ? Nice new media centre which will be great for the local hacks to use when crowds dip below 10k again!!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 22 Aug 2009 19:38

Avon Royal
Schards#2 Madejski has set out his stall to be a financially viable Championship/Div 1 team. Any success beyond that will be a pleasant surprise to him. If you're happy with that paucity of ambition, good luck to you.

Yeah - damn that Madejski, I wish he had the sort of ambition that Peter Risdale had at Leeds.

4 responses - pretty good going. I think you've gone to extremes there matey. Nobody is calling for that kind of recklessness. They're calling for extra investment out of fear of going down to League 1 this season, which by the looks of what we've seen this season is where we will be going.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 22 Aug 2009 19:38

Avon Royal

You know, when people pull off the leeds united comment it proves they don't know much about football.

Leeds were a champions league team who made champions league signings with money they banked on getting by sustaining their status at the top.

However, they somehow got relegated and obviously the debt and money they banked on getting screwed them.

Reading however are plummeting quicker than leeds did and have spent NO MONEY and are nowhere near being in debt, its quite priceless really and rather ironic you use them as an example.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Aug 2009 19:39

Big Foot No one is calling for boom or bust tactics like Leeds had and I'd be the first to speak up if we were paying the like of Seth Johnson £37k a week!

But it doesn't take Carol Vorderman to work out that we've brought in a phenonemal amount of dough since 05/06 - including now as we're in our last season of parachute payments - and where has it been invested ? Nice new media centre which will be great for the local hacks to use when crowds dip below 10k again!!

I fully agree that investment is needed - but there is a big difference between prudent investment and the sort of panic buying that some people are baying for.

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 22 Aug 2009 19:41

Like some-one else said, the thing that annoys me most is that I'm paying full price to see the reserve team this season.

I feel like I've been fleeced :evil:

It does make me wonder whether this was always the plan hence announcing a season ticket price freeze before the end of the season when we could have still gone up. It may have even been something to do with SSC leaving - he may have known that his team was going to be sold off to the highest bidders. It really wouldn't surprise me if MM and Harps were both gone by September.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Aug 2009 19:42

FiNeRaIn
Avon Royal

You know, when people pull off the leeds united comment it proves they don't know much about football.

Leeds were a champions league team who made champions league signings with money they banked on getting by sustaining their status at the top.

However, they somehow got relegated and obviously the debt and money they banked on getting screwed them.

Reading however are plummeting quicker than leeds did and have spent NO MONEY and are nowhere near being in debt, its quite priceless really and rather ironic you use them as an example.

Just pointing out that "ambition" in isolation, therefore without context, is rarely a positive thing.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 22 Aug 2009 19:43

I've not heard of any single Reading fan - however long they've been going the match - say "I want us to go on a Man City style spending spree" or similar.

Are you not frustrated with the lack of investment shown?

Does it not get to you that this club has blown the chance we had of establishing ourselves amongst the footballing elite?

We will be lucky to taste the PL again within 5 years under the current ownership.

MeMeMe

Peeved

by MeMeMe » 22 Aug 2009 19:46

Mr Mad is clearly peeved at not finding a buyer and is embarking on an asset stripping excercise. Not investing, clearly doing things on the cheap, his cheapness has peeved off Watford and now we have lost Tommy Smith.

Mr Rodgers is clearly a YES man that spouts just the stuff we don't want to hear. For example "we need the fans to be patient"... for how long exactly while I spend my money ?. "We are at the end of a five year cycle".. WHAT !!!...do Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Middlesborugh, Bolton etc etc have five year cycles like this too ?? . "We are going through pain with the young players but it will pay off"...I'm not that patient with my money, try the idea of INVESTING some of that you have made selling our best players !.

16,000 at todays game, I dread to think how many at the next home game. I am getting extremely peeved with this, I spend my hard earned money to watch my team win, ticket money, petrol, parking only to see Mr Mad asset stripping my club. ENOUGH !. Fans are not fools, don't bite the hand that feeds you Madjeski !.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Aug 2009 19:49

Big Foot I've not heard of any single Reading fan - however long they've been going the match - say "I want us to go on a Man City style spending spree" or similar.

Does it not get to you that this club has blown the chance we had of establishing ourselves amongst the footballing elite?

We will be lucky to taste the PL again within 5 years under the current ownership.

I am concerned at the lack of investment. However, my problem is with the intense over-reaction that seems to have errupted.

I would love to see Reading in the top flight again, but it is not the be all and end all for me. I would just rather get back to having fun watching football - I long more for the lower league days when us fans had a sense of perspective than I do for the plastic populated prem years.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Madejski Out and I mean Out

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Aug 2009 19:52

The fans need some honesty and some clarity regarding the financial situation from the hierarchy of this football club. All we are able to do is speculate and go on what we read and hear from not the most reliable of sources. Knee jerk reactions are pointless but alarm bells should be going off somewhere in the Berkshire countryside. 11,000 ST holders. 16,000 today of which 1,000 from Sheffield. Thats 4,000 casuals.

I remember the 3-0 gubbing by Port Vale when there was the pitch invasion and the crowd chanting "Nice ground, no fans". The target was Terry Bullivant. No point giving Brendan stick. He has to make do with what he has been dealt. No. This time it is different and the target is SJM himself.

So come on Big Man. Tell us the truth.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 22 Aug 2009 19:52

Those days are long gone at this club I'm afraid

Their attitude towards the fans since we went up has been appalling and the ground and "matchday environment" now is awful :cry:

"Please beware of flying footballs" :roll:

"Back the boys and make some noise" :roll:

Over-zelous stewarding

All round sanitation of the match :cry:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Peeved

by handbags_harris » 22 Aug 2009 19:53

MeMeMe I spend my hard earned money to watch my team win...

You sound like you're a spoilt brat to be honest. You're going to be disappointed as much as you're not. This club is in a position where it will win as many as it loses, and has historically been in that position. I personally pay my money to support my team, and if they win then great, if they lose then I hope they've lost defiantly, if they draw then I hope it's through hard luck. But you can't expect good performances every week, sometimes it just doesn't come together for whatever reason - be it form, opposition, or downright shit tactics. We can't all have what we want - take the rough with the smooth and all that.

Although the general sentiment I sort of agree with - I do wonder where the money's gone.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Peeved

by Deathy » 22 Aug 2009 19:58

MeMeMe Mr Mad is clearly peeved at not finding a buyer and is embarking on an asset stripping excercise. Not investing, clearly doing things on the cheap, his cheapness has peeved off Watford and now we have lost Tommy Smith.

Twice I've heard we've lost Tommy Smith tonight. How have we, what do you know that we don't?

FineRain thinks he got injured today but Teamtalk's report says otherwise, so???

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Aug 2009 19:59

Big Foot Those days are long gone at this club I'm afraid

Their attitude towards the fans since we went up has been appalling and the ground and "matchday environment" now is awful :cry:

Over-zelous stewarding

Agreed on all counts.

The "Back the boys" scream at the beginning of the 2nd half was a new low point. And those f*cking stewards..........

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 22 Aug 2009 20:00

Avon Royal
Big Foot Those days are long gone at this club I'm afraid

Over-zelous stewarding

Agreed on all counts.

The "Back the boys" scream at the beginning of the 2nd half was a new low point. And those f*cking stewards..........

+1

I saw some sheff utd fans as well as people around me cringing.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 22 Aug 2009 20:01

Thank fook i was still in the Jazz Cafe for that.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 22 Aug 2009 20:02

Avon Royal And those f*cking stewards..........

At risk of deflecting the thread, what did they do today?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 22 Aug 2009 20:13

Avon Royal
Big Foot I've not heard of any single Reading fan - however long they've been going the match - say "I want us to go on a Man City style spending spree" or similar.

I am concerned at the lack of investment. However, my problem is with the intense over-reaction that seems to have errupted.

I would love to see Reading in the top flight again, but it is not the be all and end all for me. I would just rather get back to having fun watching football - I long more for the lower league days when us fans had a sense of perspective than I do for the plastic populated prem years.

It's not a lack of premier league football that's worrying people. It's the very real prospect of League 1 football next season.

We have sleepwalked through 7 transfer windows in a row, with the focus being on spending as little as possible rather than strengthening the team. We made a £12 million profit in two years in the premiership. A bit more spent would surely have seen us stay up, just as a bit more spent last year could easily have seen us return.

What really annoys fans though is that this season we seemed to have abandoned any pretence of going for promotion, selling any player of value that we can, in a manner that makes you think we should be sponsored by eBay rather than Waitrose. Yes, it's great that the club isn't going down the Portsmouth route and isn't nightmarishly in debt, but if the end result is the same - the sale of all the best players - it's a pretty hollow financial victory.

I feel sorry for Brendan Rogers (unless he's deliberately freezing the likes of Harper and Marek out) and I also feel sorry for the young players who have come through, as a lot of them do show a lot of promise, and would probably shine if they had some quality to play alongside and learn from.

281 posts