The search for a manager who is not a yes man...

Royal Spangle

Re: The search for a manager who is not a yes man...

by Royal Spangle » 20 Aug 2009 16:40

:lol: :lol: I remember when we was in the Prem when Hammond said we would be a top 10 club in the country :lol: :lol: how ridiculous does that sound now(actually it sounded rediculous at the time as well :cry:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 Aug 2009 17:16

When did it sound ridiculous?
When we finished 8th in the Prem?

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 20 Aug 2009 18:15

not position wise....... size wise :roll:

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 20 Aug 2009 18:16

Except that he wants out, so the sooner he gets a new man in that suits the better, worked for all those players and the past managers.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 Aug 2009 18:43

Royal Spangle not position wise....... size wise :roll:

swerve

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 20 Aug 2009 19:30

dis bord iz like a box of chokolites.... yer niver now whot will be posted next :shock:

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 20 Aug 2009 19:34

Royal Spangle :lol: :lol: I remember when we was in the Prem when Hammond said we would be a top 10 club in the country :lol: :lol: how ridiculous does that sound now(actually it sounded rediculous at the time as well :cry:

Sadly, and frustratingly, with funding we could well have been. We had the manager, we certainly had the team. That sort of ambition and commitment might also have seemed a risk, but do we dare to dream, or do we settle for what we are once again - an average mediocre Championship club.

(and we'll be around a lot longer than many... but then what are our ambitions?)

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Aug 2009 22:28

leon
Woodcote Royal
leon ....

but that's why he was hired - he was willing to have his team sold off from under him because he thought he could replace them with the kids that he worked with. The other option was staying at Watford and having the same happen but without the kids...

The competition for who can make the thickest post of the week is clearly gaining momentum.

The team being sold off is Coppell's...................that's the one that was costing as much as 30k a week per player and produced relegation form in the last half of last season but why let facts get in the way of yet another pathetic attempt to blame the chairman for failures on the pitch.

wtf are you talking about? It's BR's team - all of it not just the ones he bought - doesnt matter where they came from??

Prior to taking the job, BR would have discussed with JM the future ie having to cut costs by reducing the wage bill, and using more of the youngsters.

BR would have weighed up his options ie facing the same thing at Watford but without such a strong backbone of youth coming through (or not - that's the big question). Hence this was his best bet.

That was my point. Was it that difficult to understand?

As I feared, you really are this dim.

HINT 1

Check BR's teams for our league matches and compare them with the players we have sold or have been in talks with other clubs.

HINT 2

Rodgers had a fantastic job at Chelsea and didn't need to settle for 2nd class terms and conditions at Watford and, as Dirk says, this club spent a small fortune buying him out of the 3 year contract he was prepared to sign there.

HINT 3

There is no shortage of unemployed "Yes men" busting a gut to jump through blue and white hoops for anyone willing to give them a job.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Aug 2009 01:43

HINT 1

We're playing a team of academy and young players. Whilst selling off the spine of senior players ie Hanneman, Bikey, Hunt, Doyle - and this is KEY (Royalee, WR and all you catamites take note) we haven't REPLACED them - i hope we do.

so CONFUSED

HINT 2

well when he joined from watford he clearly accepted 2nd division and conditions. So your point here is irelevant.

And as discussed above ,the t&Cs of his move to RFC, i would hope he would know what he had to do

so IRELEVANT

HINT 3

Yes??? and your point is what?????

Donkey Lover 2 and Bushes Bernal would do the RFC job ffs

JM has hired someone who will sell off the expensive players and cut costs, but build for the future.

If you disagree with this then fine.That is my opinion - I have been supporting this club for many years and only want the best for it.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Aug 2009 03:59

leon We're playing a team of academy and young players. Whilst selling off the spine of senior players ie Hanneman, Bikey, Hunt, Doyle - and this is KEY

Well done!!!................that would be the spine of Steve Coppell's team who Brendan Rodgers has shown no sign of wishing to use as part of his first team ahead of the younger players..................which is why both Harper and Marek have not got beyond the bench in the league but started and played the full 90 minutes in the cup.

leon so CONFUSED
How could you be anything else when trying to justify this garbage :|

leon HINT 3

Yes??? and your point is what?????

Donkey Lover 2 and Bushes Bernal would do the RFC job ffs

JM has hired someone who will sell off the expensive players and cut costs, but build for the future.

If you disagree with this then fine.That is my opinion - I have been supporting this club for many years and only want the best for it.

I disagree because it's complete and utter childish nonsense

If all the Chairman wanted was someone to save him a shed load of money, by selling off all the senior players, he would never have started by hiring his most expensive option of all in Brendan Rodgers, who had to be bought out of his existing contract before starting work here.

Furthermore, this is Brendan Rodgers we are discussing here......................headhunted by the mighty Chelsea 5 years ago and still highly rated by them.

It is ludicrous in the extreme to suggest that someone who has such a bright future in the game would give up a plumb job to sign a 3 year contract elsewhere, yet be so disillusioned within a matter of months that he'd elect to join us just to do the Chairman's dirty work of selling off our best players :P

I thought Hint 3 was simple enough to comprehend but clearly not.

I'll try again. In the current economic climate, there are many former managers out there who would jump at the chance to manage this club in whatever manner the Chairman saw fit in exchange for a salary of as little as 10 times the national average.

From BR's point of view;

He could have stayed at Chelsea.

He could have stayed at Watford

And, he would certainly have been short listed for a number of other jobs had he applied for them yet, apparently, he elected to join RFC and it's tight wad chairman to supervise the selling off of Steve Coppell's team even though Nicky Hammond is perfectly capable of performing that task all by himself :|

As a fellow long term supporter, I urge you strongly to spend a few weeks in a darkened room or call your GP without delay.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Aug 2009 08:42

Woodcote Royal
leon We're playing a team of academy and young players. Whilst selling off the spine of senior players ie Hanneman, Bikey, Hunt, Doyle - and this is KEY

Well done!!!................that would be the spine of Steve Coppell's team who Brendan Rodgers has shown no sign of wishing to use as part of his first team ahead of the younger players..................which is why both Harper and Marek have not got beyond the bench in the league but started and played the full 90 minutes in the cup.

Royalee and Hoop Blah - PLEASE READ THE ABOVE.

Isn't that what I said? :roll:

ROKERITE

by ROKERITE » 21 Aug 2009 09:24

I think Rodgers was a cracking appointment. I believe the future is looking bright for Reading, though it may be next season before a serious promotion challenge is mounted.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Aug 2009 09:29

Royal Lady
Woodcote Royal

Royalee and Hoop Blah - PLEASE READ THE ABOVE.

Isn't that what I said? :roll:

Just because someone else happens to share your view, but for different reasons, still doesn't make it accurate.

I.e It's still wrong.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 Aug 2009 09:31

Royal Spangle :lol: :lol: I remember when we was in the Prem when Hammond said we would be a top 10 club in the country :lol: :lol: how ridiculous does that sound now(actually it sounded rediculous at the time as well :cry:

we finished in 8th

and it s ridiculous

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Aug 2009 10:09

Deathy

Sadly, and frustratingly, with funding we could well have been. We had the manager, we certainly had the team.

Not really, as evidenced by what happened in the following season.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 21 Aug 2009 11:34

Forbury Lion
Forest Gump .... goes on it seems. We need someone who - for the good of the club - will tell Madejski that he is wrong not to invest.
Madejski has many investments and oppourtunities. Like a good businessman he will invest the most in the ones with the best high/guaranteed return split.

Perhaps economics will see a change in investment - How are the other businesses in the Madejski portfolio coping in these difficult times? Perhaps he's concentrating his cash on the development of Station Hill.... yet that could be a white elephant now thanks to the property slump.

Well we know most his money is in property. Not the market you wanted to stick all your money in 2 years ago is it?

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 21 Aug 2009 11:40

ROKERITE I think Rodgers was a cracking appointment. I believe the future is looking bright for Reading, though it may be next season before a serious promotion challenge is mounted.

from league 1?

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 21 Aug 2009 11:55

ROKERITE I think Rodgers was a cracking appointment. I believe the future is looking bright for Reading, though it may be next season before a serious promotion challenge is mounted.

From which dvision will we be mounting a serious promotion challenge???

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Aug 2009 19:19

Woodcote Royal As a fellow long term supporter, I urge you strongly to spend a few weeks in a darkened room or call your GP without delay.

:lol: Yes - after an extensive examination he concluded that everything is going to be just fine, Champions League football is on it's way. Which will be nice.