Barnsley - back from the game

UpNorth

Barnsley - back from the game

by UpNorth » 29 Aug 2009 18:16

Enjoyed that.

A comfortable win against poor opposition. Could have scored five or six.

The first 20 minutes we looked poor but got better and better as the half wore on. Siggy was excellent. His set piece deliveries led to the first goal and his through pass to Karacan to leave him one on one with the keeper was worth the admission alone. Shame the lad failed to hit the target. All credit to Karacan, the miss seemed to spur him on and he was excellent against a woeful Barnsley in the second half.

We still look vulnerable to the set piece and we were not always convincing in defence. It may have been the swirling wind but both centre halves struggled. I have my doubts about Pearce, he scored the goal but got beaten in the air too often for my liking. Mills got better in the second half. Rosie and Bertrand had good games although Cambell Ryce gave them some grief in the first half. The new boy up front looked just like the tareget man we need and Hunty was back to his usual high tempo self.

Finally Kebe, what can you say, brilliant and crap the next moment but he changed the game today and got a deserved applause when he was subbed.

On this evidence we will be ok but not by any means promotion material.

07RFC

Re: Barnsley - back from the game

by 07RFC » 29 Aug 2009 18:21

UpNorth On this evidence we will be ok but not by any means promotion material.

shush!!! For once this lot aren't sounding suicidal! :wink:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Aug 2009 18:22

UpNorth Enjoyed that.

A comfortable win against poor opposition. Could have scored five or six.

The first 20 minutes we looked poor but got better and better as the half wore on. Siggy was excellent. His set piece deliveries led to the first goal and his through pass to Karacan to leave him one on one with the keeper was worth the admission alone. Shame the lad failed to hit the target. All credit to Karacan, the miss seemed to spur him on and he was excellent against a woeful Barnsley in the second half.

We still look vulnerable to the set piece and we were not always convincing in defence. It may have been the swirling wind but both centre halves struggled. I have my doubts about Pearce, he scored the goal but got beaten in the air too often for my liking. Mills got better in the second half. Rosie and Bertrand had good games although Cambell Ryce gave them some grief in the first half. The new boy up front looked just like the tareget man we need and Hunty was back to his usual high tempo self.

Finally Kebe, what can you say, brilliant and crap the next moment but he changed the game today and got a deserved applause when he was subbed.

On this evidence we will be ok but not by any means promotion material.

Bearing mind there was all sorts of hype 7/8 months ago about Jamal Campbell Rice and Peas, could he do a job for us?

zummerset

by zummerset » 29 Aug 2009 18:24

Too early for the promotion party thread but what a difference a win makes :D

Elliott

by Elliott » 29 Aug 2009 18:28

WE ARE GOING UP! 8)

COME ON URZ!

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 29 Aug 2009 18:32

My first look at Antonio and he did well.

Admittedly he came on after Hunt's double but he has good pace and strength. He also has a long throw which nearly caught the Barnsley defence out.

Forgot to mention the comedy defending from Feds and Pearce. The backpass was chased dwon and Feds was too slow - the ball rebounded off the Barnsley player towards goal - very close.

Darlo Royal

by Darlo Royal » 29 Aug 2009 18:51

Amusing bit of interplay with the fans at the end as BR pretended to wipe his brow in relief at finally winning. That result will mean as much to him and the team as it does to us in terms of confidence.

Once we'd got over a shaky first 20 minutes the passing game was a delight: especially as it was a blustery afternoon and not ideal for slick football.

Watch out for our new long throw secret weapon.

Archies Volley II

by Archies Volley II » 29 Aug 2009 18:56

Darlo Royal Watch out for our new long throw secret weapon.

Why don't you post where the bat cave is whilst you're at it?

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 29 Aug 2009 19:00

Archies Volley II

It is no secret it is on Google maps now!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 14&iwloc=A

Archies Volley II

by Archies Volley II » 29 Aug 2009 19:01

Arnie_Pie
Archies Volley II

It is no secret it is on Google maps now!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 14&iwloc=A

:lol:

specialjon

by specialjon » 29 Aug 2009 19:05

Barnsley manager has just left the club by mutual consent. Where they that bad?

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 29 Aug 2009 19:07

specialjon Barnsley manager has just left the club by mutual consent. Where they that bad?

Barnsley fans are saying Coppell was at the game and are putting two and two together...

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 29 Aug 2009 19:32

Pseud O'Nym
specialjon Barnsley manager has just left the club by mutual consent. Where they that bad?

Barnsley fans are saying Coppell was at the game and are putting two and two together...

He's not at his best in a relegation battle

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Aug 2009 19:37

Handsome Man
Pseud O'Nym

He's not at his best in a relegation battle

Harsh, but probably true.

Hogmeister Royal

by Hogmeister Royal » 29 Aug 2009 19:44

Hmm... is this evidence of another new tactic from Buck's "World Class Model" approach? According to the match report on the OS, after a corner hit the crossbar, Rasiak was "ready to bounce at the back post". :shock:

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 29 Aug 2009 19:50

Harsh, straight after a giant killing in the cup - and not like the board/fans should have expected any points off the mighty Royals.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Aug 2009 19:51

For us maybe, what about for Brentford and Brighton? Although I think it may be a bit early for Coppell to want to take another job.

Radio commentary had it sounding end to end for much of the first half, with the usual lack of concentration and cutting edge screwing us over. Sounded like a scrappy goal from a corner for us, but sometimes that can just turn things around.

From the point Kebe was put through and taken out by their 'keeper, he sounded on fire, even if he'd been his normal frustrating self prior to that. After that it sounded like only one team in it.

Was that a fair reflection of the match for those who were there? MOTM Kebe*?

Pleased to see NHunt scoring and Rasiak getting some minutes in a winning side. That result could make a real difference. Be interested to see some ratings.

*Discoverer of the Higgs Boson and bringer of peace to the Middle-East.

southsideroyal

by southsideroyal » 29 Aug 2009 20:01

We still look vulnerable to the set piece and we were not always convincing in defence. It may have been the swirling wind but both centre halves struggled. I have my doubts about Pearce, he scored the goal but got beaten in the air too often for my liking.

I feel the same about Pearce. Maybe he's been built up too much and maybe the captain's armband is too much too soon for him.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 29 Aug 2009 20:42

southsideroyal We still look vulnerable to the set piece and we were not always convincing in defence. It may have been the swirling wind but both centre halves struggled. I have my doubts about Pearce, he scored the goal but got beaten in the air too often for my liking.

I feel the same about Pearce. Maybe he's been built up too much and maybe the captain's armband is too much too soon for him.

was brenda using zonal marking southsiders?

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 29 Aug 2009 21:53

A scrappy game in windy conditions. We struggled in the first 15/20 minutes or so as Barnsley passed it through our midfield and they scored as a result of sloppy marking at a corner. The game seemed to change when we got Kebe into the game on the left suddenly it was all us and we never really looked in any real trouble afterwards. Very pleased we are now playing recognisable championship football with plenty of hoof to the centre forward with some decent passing at high tempo going forward. Nobody had a bad game and Sigurdsson, Karacan and Kebe played well.